Best method to back up all of my user content

Approach_Medium

Trainz Addict
Hi;
I just got done re-installing T-ANE SP2 on a new Win 7 install, and have re-installed all of my payware and freeware content as well.
I needed to fix some of the payware, and now seem to have everything installed and working.
In order to do this, I needed to re-install from the .cdp files I had stored on my HDD.

Now I want to create a full backup of all content that is not built-in, so all I need to do next time I have to re-install T-ANE all I have to do is restore the backup into my user content folder.

So, what is the best method to do this? Should I just back up my entire user folder, or will that contain a lot of built-in items that I don't need to restore after a T-ANE re-install.

I am assuming that if I use the restore method I am talking about, I will need to run a full database rebuild?

Thanks for your help

CP

I too would appreciate a step-by-step list of steps and file locations to make a backup. I just went through a similar restore of my T:ANE installation and now I'd like to back it up incase it happens again.
How do I get notification if this particular thread is added to?

P.S. Thanks Approach_Medium for all you do for the community!

Just went through this last month after Windows 10 ate its own head. Each of my simulators (MSTS, Open Rails and three generations of Trainz) is now installed in its own folder on C:\. T:ANE keeps its data including assets in C:\Users\user\Local\N3V\. I have a 2Tb backup drive so I just back up the whole C:\Users folder every night in my scheduled backup.

And yes, running an extended database repair is indicated.

:B~)

I don't even put my T:ANE content on the C: drive, and keep my C: drive strictly for applications and operating system in case there's a need to install. With my T:ANE data on my T: virtual drive, which is mounted on my F: drive, I have no fear of an OS reinstallation munching my data.

When it comes to backups, I run Fast Copy to copy over my Virtual disk to my backup drive. Should my F: drive be visited by LGM some day, I'll be able to replace the drive and copy my backed up content back.

If my system requires a fresh install, I simply reconnect my database to my fresh T:ANE install and I'm quickly up and running.

What is the best, most infallible, media to back up all your payware locos ?

I have a DVD+RW disc, with allot of my N3V, K&L, RRMods, and JR, payware locos on it, in case of catastrophic PC failure ... But it is now full ... requiring me to buy another DVR+RW disc

You have various media:

CD
CD+R
CD+RW
(which is re-writable, and able to add more locos onto the disc, until it is full)

DVD
DVD+R
DVD+RW (which is re-writable, and able to add more locos onto the disc, until it is full)

Memory Stick

Regular External Hard Drive

SSD External Hard Drive

What is the best, most infallible, media to back up all your payware locos ?

I have heard that most external hard drive failures is from constantly plugging, and un-plugging, the wire jacks on the back of the unit

And that a DVD+RW if constantly re-written, it can be damaged from repeatedly re-recording, editing, or adding on more files to the disc (just as a cassette tape recorder tape degrades when constantly re-recorded over, and over, on the soundtrack)

Last edited:
Mix it up.

Make backups on burn-once DVD, but the trick with DVD is finding good media. Taiyo-Yuden made, by far, the best DVDs, but stopped producing them in 2015. Any DVD media that's made in Japan should be ok, though. Store any DVDs in a cool, dark place and don't let them get bent.

Make a second backup to Google Drive or the like. That's a poor-man's offsite backup.

A thumbdrive is an ok method, but are not meant for very long-term backups. Temperature can especially be a problem for thumbdrives.

With any backup, create recovery files for your backups using MultiPAR to protect the backups themselves against corruption. It's a good idea to validate your backups every now and then to be sure they're still intact, and PAR2 files provide a simple way to do that, in addition to providing a means of recovering them.

I have a 1Tb external hard drive that I always keep plugged into my computer and it has an off switch so I don't have to plug it it in or unplug it. All I do is make sure the drive is properly shutdown using the 'Remove Hardware/Eject' tab before I turn it off. I also have all my payware as well as my own created models backed up to Google Drive and Dropbox.

I also have an external 2TB drive which stays connected, its about 10 years old now. I use Solway's Plain Backup to copy folders, sub folders or files to it. After the first copy it can be programmed to update new files only so saving time having not to copy all content again. You can set up different copy folders like finance, Trainz 19, Trainz Tane or any other group and you can select any one or more each time to copy over.

I backup the whole install to two 4TB external USB3 drives, backup and backup of the backup, then do weekly file syncs so only changed items are added or removed. I keep the userdata in a userdata folder in the TANE or TRS19 folder so keeping things simple. After the initial backup which will take a long time it only takes a few minutes to update the backups.
That way you have a backup that is fully patched, include fully updated packages and your installed assets and no need to ever re-download anything.
Advantage is if you need to re-install or maybe move to another PC, you just restore the backup. If the restore is going to the same location it was backed up from it will run out of the box, different location you will need to input password and settings again.

Doesn't overwriting a weekly copy of the whole Trainz install (52 per weeks per year ... 520 per 10 years) eventually wear out the External Hard Drive disc ?

Last edited:
Doesn't overwriting a weekly copy of the whole install (52 per weeks per year ... 520 per 10 years) eventually wear out the External Hard Drive disc ?

No it doesn't as its only overwriting changes, if you install 10 assets it adds them to the backup, if you delete 10 assets it deletes them from the backup, no more use than the drive it is installed on.

OK everyone knows that an External Hard Drive can do all these things

But what I need to know is how to burn my payware locos CDP's to a physical disc media, for storing it on a shelf, like my LP Records

ie:

Please inform me, and help clarify things about various disc media types:

You have various media:

CD
CD+R
CD+RW
(which is re-writable, and able to add more locos onto the disc, until it is full)

DVD
DVD+R
DVD+RW (which is re-writable, and able to add more locos onto the disc, until it is full)

I also have a DVR+R DL (Double Layer) disc, that is like an old fashioned LP record, where you flip it over, and record more files onto the other side

A simple CD or a DVD can only be written once, I am supposing that a CD+R, and a DVD+R, also can only be written once.
But Can they be edited, a month, or years later, and add more files onto the tail end of the recording, until the disc is full ?

Last edited:
Back