Content creation; anyone interested in creating me some assets?

Bradleybale

A substantial (the hardest) part of creating content is the search for information. If you want loco Xyz then trawl the internet so that you can then post here asking some thing like this:- "I have a full set of drawings and photos for Xyz, and will search for anything that is missing. Can a kind person please make this for me on commission"

SailorDan has said this in more detail.

PeterPM

That sounds like a good idea. I have some drawings but no one will probably read this far down on my posts. Would you recommend posting on this forum or posting a whole new one if I supplied enough information about the content

Last edited:
Maybe what we need is a registry of content creators that are willing to take on commissions. I've several projects I'd like to discuss with a competent content creator.

As someone else mentioned on this thread about having 3D CAD skills, but has yet to make the transition to content creation, I fall into the same category. So now I'm wondering if a content creator can use a solid model I have created and if so, in what format?

David

The download station must have a mass of content perhaps some might suit your requirements.
I make content for the Blender Game Engine.
The content is made from Blender parts.
My interest is saiing ships and canals.
These items are being converted to run in trainz.
See the canal thread for more details.
Before the moderators step.

Good to hear from you Barry.

Ok so I've found some drawings of some Tasmanian locomotives both past and present, some are better then others. If I am to supply information of drawings, photos and any other information required for a content creator and manage to look for missing bits if I can find them would anyone be interested if in making these on commision and money if wanted to for your time and effort and frustration from creating the asset itself plus me on here haha

I'm wondering if a content creator can use a solid model I have created and if so, in what format?
obj format should be suitable. However, a lot depends on how the original was created, and the metadata that is preserved in the obj export. Things like normals facing the wrong way can take a lot of fixing, and end up taking more time than starting from scratch. Trainz model requirements are very specific, and often have not been considered when creating models for other purposes.

Yes this is things on the DLS which suit some requirements. I had a go at blender once and it didn't go well :/

Why not outline what the problem was and maybe 'somebody' could help.
Even the simplest things could take hours to solve, but maybe a few mouse clicks could fix it in seconds...as I have found out.

I still don't know how to use it properly after a dozen year...but know enoughy how to make complex docks, canals, working locks and 'solid drivable sailing ships. Incidentally docks are essential to train routes considering many train lines go inside the dock areas and hardly any realism if docks are devoid of ALL ships (smile).

Others maybe then could advise how to get the object into Trainz.
I export as png to reduce file size, but you can export to tga, or obj or whatever...I don't use Trainz myself now...as too complex... for me..

B

Last edited:
Yes this is things on the DLS which suit some requirements. I had a go at blender once and it didn't go well :/

If your username is an indication of your age you need to percivere with Blender as you may enjoy it once you get to grips with it and it will give you experience of complex 3D programs which may serve you well as you get older.
The link to Cayden's website on Ghost 42 post is an excellent introduction to Blender.

Ken

If your username is an indication of your age you need to percivere with Blender as you may enjoy it once you get to grips with it and it will give you experience of complex 3D programs which may serve you well as you get older.
The link to Cayden's website on Ghost 42 post is an excellent introduction to Blender.

Ken

Haha I thought someone might say that with my username, that is a locomotive number I like. So going by this it seems like I need to do it and no one is "generous" enough to give up their time and frustration for making a locomotive I'd request on commission and involving a payment.

Why not outline what the problem was and maybe 'somebody' could help.
Even the simplest things could take hours to solve, but maybe a few mouse clicks could fix it in seconds...as I have found out.

I still don't know how to use it properly after a dozen year...but know enoughy how to make complex docks, canals, working locks and 'solid drivable sailing ships. Incidentally docks are essential to train routes considering many train lines go inside the dock areas and hardly any realism if docks are devoid of ALL ships (smile).

Others maybe then could advise how to get the object into Trainz.
I export as png to reduce file size, but you can export to tga, or obj or whatever...I don't use Trainz myself now...as too complex... for me..

B

Problems were time, effort and no skills and I'd probably never be happy with what I could manage to make. It'd be better for the model itself to be made by a professional.

I'm disappointed that no one is "generous" enough but I do understand why. It's just there's this train route I'd love to use certain locomotives on and pretend I'm driving the real train that goes along that line.

Would've been a dream come true to drive the locomotive along the valley and I'm deeply saddened that no professional is willing to help. I know I should learn how to make 3d content but I don't have the brain capacity, time or skills to do so.

Was just hoping someone was interested in making something but then again I don't know exactly how much work goes into them so it makes sense I suppose :(

I don't mean to sound annoying in these forums I just get keen for content to use and don't really think through with what I write as making content is a lot of hard work

Last edited:
Haha I thought someone might say that with my username, that is a locomotive number I like. So going by this it seems like I need to do it and no one is "generous" enough to give up their time and frustration for making a locomotive I'd request on commission and involving a payment.

You may not be as young as your username implies but you attitude would indicate that you are an early teen.
I don't unsterstand why you expect people to be generous towards you. You need to realise that you can't always rely on others otherwise as you get older you will get a rude awakening.
If you are so desperate for new locos etc enquire with Paulstrainz.

http://www.paulztrainz.myenet.info

Ken
Blender novice

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that no one is "generous" enough but I do understand why. It's just there's this train route I'd love to use certain locomotives on and pretend I'm driving the real train that goes along that line.

Would've been a dream come true to drive the locomotive along the valley and I'm deeply saddened that no professional is willing to help. I know I should learn how to make 3d content but I don't have the brain capacity, time or skills to do so.

Was just hoping someone was interested in making something but then again I don't know exactly how much work goes into them so it makes sense I suppose :(

I don't mean to sound annoying in these forums I just get keen for content to use and don't really think through with what I write as making content is a lot of hard work

I find it interesting that you are not far (on the same mainland) from the company that puts out this simulation, and yet not a single comrade there is willing to give you some help, at the least. Not necessarily creating the content, but perhaps maybe helping you learn how to do it... New concept maybe, N3V classes for Trainz. Sorry bro, that isn't going to happen, pretty sure they are all too busy to do this.

You may not be as young as your username implies but you attitude would indicate that you are an early teen.
I don't unsterstand why you expect people to be generous towards you. You need to realise that you can't always rely on others otherwise as you get older you will get a rude awakening.
If you are so desperate for new locos etc enquire with Paulstrainz.

http://www.paulztrainz.myenet.info

Ken
Blender novice

Yes I'm sorry about this negative attitude, I don't have much confidence which is why I do it and people being mean to me just makes me feel even more negative/less confident. I would promise I do know how to find information and drawings/pictures and I don't imply on these forums with that because I always think no one is generally interested in the content I request. I could make a whole new forum with a whole new approach with a heap of information if people wanted too it's just this forum started negative and I did that because I generally thought that no one would be interested. It's not people being generous, it's more people willing to help out and be generous to have a look at my ideas which I do know a heap about and can write in greater detail if requested, I just think I annoy everyone on here resulting in my negative comments and low confidence.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you are not far (on the same mainland) from the company that puts out this simulation, and yet not a single comrade there is willing to give you some help, at the least. Not necessarily creating the content, but perhaps maybe helping you learn how to do it... New concept maybe, N3V classes for Trainz. Sorry bro, that isn't going to happen, pretty sure they are all too busy to do this.

I think my negative comments have deeply impacted my chances of someone creating a locomotive upon request. I have done my research and have found heaps of drawings/pictures and I generally do know how to find information even if this forum has made me not look so. I need to stop with the negativity and become positive and show my general interest in this content :)

I think my negative comments have deeply impacted my chances of someone creating a locomotive upon request. I have done my research and have found heaps of drawings/pictures and I generally do know how to find information even if this forum has made me not look so. I need to stop with the negativity and become positive and show my general interest in this content :)

I know someone who may help you get started in modelling but fair warning he doesn't take crap from anyone. If you PM Zeldaboy14 (James) ask hem how to get started in Blinder he will help you out.

We live in a global internet village so being on the same continent, or even in the next suburb, is not much different than half way across the globe except for time zone differences. You learn to live with those.

There have been 100's of posts giving advice to people wanting to learn 3D modelling and, for the most part, they have been consistent in their approach. i.e. start with exporting cubes from Blender/GMax/etc into Trainz and build up from there.

I learned from Paul Hobbs' original Blender 2.49b tutorial and I recall it literally made you draw lines (polygon sides) from vertex to vertex. I still use the same technique today. Paul's latest tutorial appears to be more broader in its approach. I recommend it to budding creators although with John Whelan's and Cayden's tutorials.

I think that:

a. There should be a special forum for those wanting to start from scratch. That forum should be totally "flame free" and closely watched (moderated).
b. N3V actively promote "junior" creators. Age means nothing in this context.
c. Those that can should provide more examples and help pages in the Trainz WiKi.
d. (I could think of more but my wife is pressing me to get dressed and go out. :hehe:)

The issue may be that some users requesting models have no desire to make models. In that case they should understand that silence in response to their requests means "I'm too busy", don't have time, etc."

The OP in this thread did approach me privately about a particular model, a Tasmanian Railways container carrier traincar, and I was tempted. But, I am literally so busy with other Trainz and personal stuff, that I wouldn't get around to it for months.

We live in a global internet village so being on the same continent, or even in the next suburb, is not much different than half way across the globe except for time zone differences. You learn to live with those.

There have been 100's of posts giving advice to people wanting to learn 3D modelling and, for the most part, they have been consistent in their approach. i.e. start with exporting cubes from Blender/GMax/etc into Trainz and build up from there.

I learned from Paul Hobbs' original Blender 2.49b tutorial and I recall it literally made you draw lines (polygon sides) from vertex to vertex. I still use the same technique today. Paul's latest tutorial appears to be more broader in its approach. I recommend it to budding creators although with John Whelan's and Cayden's tutorials.

I think that:

a. There should be a special forum for those wanting to start from scratch. That forum should be totally "flame free" and closely watched (moderated).
b. N3V actively promote "junior" creators. Age means nothing in this context.
c. Those that can should provide more examples and help pages in the Trainz WiKi.
d. (I could think of more but my wife is pressing me to get dressed and go out. :hehe:)

The issue may be that some users requesting models have no desire to make models. In that case they should understand that silence in response to their requests means "I'm too busy", don't have time, etc."

The OP in this thread did approach me privately about a particular model, a Tasmanian Railways container carrier traincar, and I was tempted. But, I am literally so busy with other Trainz and personal stuff, that I wouldn't get around to it for months.

Thank you for that.

People think I don't imply knowledge and my negative thoughts imply this and I respect that because it makes sense.

Would you say when I messaged you that I had some knowledge of what I wanted and was helpful in finding information for that wagon? (Some evidence for people on here that I can do it)

Locos are moderately complex to model. I suggest you start with a house then move on from there. Just be aware because its payware does not mean its better quality. Is there another loco you could use to build your layout whilst waiting for one to appear?

Cheerio John

Back