Content creation; anyone interested in creating me some assets?

Hi all,

I know I'll get no where with this forum but want to see what people think.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making certain assets I'd love to see in Trainz (also if it appeals to you)

No one really ever creates things for people as it requires to much time, effort and skill to do so.

I am not a fan of creating assets so I can't really talk but would anyone be interested in a few assets I could ask and if one appeals to you in which you'd be interested in creating it'd be great!

No one will anyway :(

Last edited:
Content creators take times to make an asset so they won't do anything from what you'll love to see in Trainz. Thinking like that is very negative

Content creators take times to make an asset so they won't do anything from what you'll love to see in Trainz. Thinking like that is very negative

I just get frustrated because things I like seen in Trainz always get started and never finished. Yes I'll agree I was harsh but I just get sick of it all the time

If you are frustrated that people start things you like to see and never get finished: Try building it yourself.

That way you either get the asset you want or understand why others don't finish it (yet).

I paid someone, and commissioned him to place a set of assets on the DLS for me ... And he did a fabulous job on the project ... better than I could ever hope to create myself in 2 years time: New Century Switch Lamp by UP8328

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making certain assets I'd love to see in Trainz (also if it appeals to you)/QUOTE]

Many content creators are looking for ideas for things that Trainz users would like to see, but they usually won't start from scratch. You should pick one or two of the assets you have in mind and provide full details, including drawings, if available, and good quality photographs, preferably in side and front views. Technical details if appropriate. The suggestion might not be picked up immediately, but there is a good chance that someone will eventually decide that it's an interesting project, and particularly if it is a modification or extension of some existing work.

Depends what you are after and how much work is involved. If you can find a content creator who is interested in creating content that is similar to what you have in mind then they may be able to raid their bit box and knock out a variation.

If its a UK narrow boat for example and you have documentation I seem to be dabbling in them at the moment. Research is 30% of the work, textures another 30% so reskins if you can do them are useful.

Cheerio John

It would help if you mentioned what kind of thing you were interested in. That way an interested creator might see it and respond, or someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

I can't emphasise enough how useful it is as a creator to be given a decent set of photos and dimensions.

Not being so negative would also help.

IF you have the patience for it, learning 3D modelling yourself is very rewarding, but I don't blame anyone for thinking it's too hard. It took me a number of years of occasional dabbling in GMax before I 'got' it, and I use 3D CAD all day in my job. I've yet to get my head around Blender (though it's a better bet if you are starting from scratch).

Paul

I paid someone, and commissioned him to place a set of assets on the DLS for me ... And he did a fabulous job on the project ... better than I could ever hope to create myself in 2 years time: New Century Switch Lamp by UP8328

That's awesome!

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in making certain assets I'd love to see in Trainz (also if it appeals to you)/QUOTE]

Many content creators are looking for ideas for things that Trainz users would like to see, but they usually won't start from scratch. You should pick one or two of the assets you have in mind and provide full details, including drawings, if available, and good quality photographs, preferably in side and front views. Technical details if appropriate. The suggestion might not be picked up immediately, but there is a good chance that someone will eventually decide that it's an interesting project, and particularly if it is a modification or extension of some existing work.

Yep that's exactly right, they always need those things. Thankyou for this!

Depends what you are after and how much work is involved. If you can find a content creator who is interested in creating content that is similar to what you have in mind then they may be able to raid their bit box and knock out a variation.

If its a UK narrow boat for example and you have documentation I seem to be dabbling in them at the moment. Research is 30% of the work, textures another 30% so reskins if you can do them are useful.

Cheerio John

Ok thankyou, it would be nice to find someone who's interested in it.

It would help if you mentioned what kind of thing you were interested in. That way an interested creator might see it and respond, or someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

I can't emphasise enough how useful it is as a creator to be given a decent set of photos and dimensions.

Not being so negative would also help.

IF you have the patience for it, learning 3D modelling yourself is very rewarding, but I don't blame anyone for thinking it's too hard. It took me a number of years of occasional dabbling in GMax before I 'got' it, and I use 3D CAD all day in my job. I've yet to get my head around Blender (though it's a better bet if you are starting from scratch).

Paul

I can mention the things I'd be interested in seeing and if one appealed to someone then that would be pretty awesome.

There's a few things on this list I'd like to see in which some had been started by some people but never got/or haven't been finished.

http://www.railtasmania.com/loco/

If one appealed to someone I'd like to know and I could try to get some further information on it for them.

If wagons are more people's things I can mention them too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So “Apparently” it’s not too hard so try it yourself then. Don’t expect someone to do it in your place

So “Apparently” it’s not too hard so try it yourself then. Don’t expect someone to do it in your place

This is why I hate writing these things, yes I understand your point though. Thought it be more a walk in the park FOR AN EXPERT if it's deemed "apparently" not real hard but I reckon it probably is

Last edited:
So stop being lazy and learn by yourself, don't ask for anybody else and if you hate writing these things so why keep doing this ?

The download station must have a mass of content perhaps some might suit your requirements.
I make content for the Blender Game Engine.
The content is made from Blender parts.
My interest is saiing ships and canals.
These items are being converted to run in trainz.
See the canal thread for more details.
Before the moderators step.

And it is NOT about the Blender Game Engine but my Blender content being converted for Trainz.

What I was going to say beore the thread locked on me using a smiley I don't know if you can use Blender but to get started you could learn in an hour or so. I might be able to help with some basics. Like make something simple like a....ship. Outline deck, make faces, extrude down or sideways. Scale in bow, texture. add bit and pieces to deck or make a hold. E extrude, F for face, s to scale and so on... shift and d to duplicate....simple

Barry

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?144269-UK-narrow-boats-or-barges-what-do-we-have

Last edited:
The download station must have a mass of content perhaps some might suit your requirements.
I make content for the Blender Game Engine.
The content is made from Blender parts.
My interest is saiing ships and canals.
These items are being converted to run in trainz.
See the canal thread for more details.
Before the moderators step.

And it is NOT about the Blender Game Engine but my Blender content being converted for Trainz.

What I was going to say beore the thread locked on me using a smiley I don't know if you can use Blender but to get started you could learn in an hour or so. I might be able to help with some basics. Like make something simple like a....ship. Outline deck, make faces, extrude down or sideways. Scale in bow, texture. add bit and pieces to deck or make a hold. E extrude, F for face, s to scale and so on... shift and d to duplicate....simple

Barry

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?144269-UK-narrow-boats-or-barges-what-do-we-have

Yes this is things on the DLS which suit some requirements. I had a go at blender once and it didn't go well :/

With good digital models taking time to make and research you might have more success if you got someone to do a paid commission for you. For some locomotives I would like to have I may have to do this myself as it's not very likely that a content creator would want to make some of the locomotive I want out of the kindness of their heart. And as for learning 3D modelling I've had folk say I should learn to do it myself, but since I have cognitive deficits due to this illness I have I can't, - and yes I've tried.
People lead busy lives, - especially if they have families, - so it's only fair enough to pay them for their time unless you have some kind of sought after skill yourself which you can barter with.

Bradleybale

A substantial (the hardest) part of creating content is the search for information. If you want loco Xyz then trawl the internet so that you can then post here asking some thing like this:- "I have a full set of drawings and photos for Xyz, and will search for anything that is missing. Can a kind person please make this for me on commission"

SailorDan has said this in more detail.

PeterPM

With good digital models taking time to make and research you might have more success if you got someone to do a paid commission for you. For some locomotives I would like to have I may have to do this myself as it's not very likely that a content creator would want to make some of the locomotive I want out of the kindness of their heart. And as for learning 3D modelling I've had folk say I should learn to do it myself, but since I have cognitive deficits due to this illness I have I can't, - and yes I've tried.
People lead busy lives, - especially if they have families, - so it's only fair enough to pay them for their time unless you have some kind of sought after skill yourself which you can barter with.

Yes that's fair enough, if someone was interested I'd be willing to consider a payment if it wasn't ridiculous haha

Back