Mojave Subdivision Cab Control Problem

Heinrich505

I recently downloaded the Mojave Subdivision as payware for TANE SP2. I ran an engine in the quick drive just fine - no problems, and in the Cab mode.

However, when I try to run the included sessions, something isn't right. I open the session and it downloads. Then I get initial instructions, and the session is defaulted to DCC cab control. I go to the quick drive menu and change this to cab control. Once in cab control, I am restricted to actually using the levers in the cab - which is not a problem as they respond to my keyboard or mouse - but when I release all the brakes, etc., and start to throttle up, the engine starts to spool up, but there is no movement. Very odd. There is movement if I go back to DCC.

This happens in the Walong Stall, the DPU Push, and the Mojave to Bakersfield sessions. I have not tried the ATSF 991 East yet, but I am sure the same thing will happen.

I thought maybe there was something I was missing, some lever I had forgotten. I can't figure out what is wrong, unless it didn't download properly.

I thought maybe it was the DCC vs. Cab thing when the session started, but I've never had a problem switching from DCC to Cab in any other routes. So, I started up the DPU Push in DCC, connected with the train I am helping, switched to the front engine, all still in DCC, and started moving out in DCC. Then I went to the quick drive menu, switched from DCC to Cab, and immediately the train squealed to a halt. The levers for Cab were showing no brakes and the throttle was at lever 3, so there was no reason the train should suddenly be braking.

Any suggestions? I have not reported it to N3V yet as I wanted to see what the forum might have run into. Is this a bug or am I just missing something in the cab?

Heinrich505

So much to remember...so little time.

Having read the manual - yes, some people actually do read the manuals, haha - way back in the dark recesses of my mind I recalled something about a brake bail, the hotkey D. I didn't really understand the purpose, other than to clear air pressure from the line from time to time, and I'd never used it since reading about it. There doesn't appear to be a lever in the cab for this.

Well, I hit the D key while trying to get the engine to start up, and low-and-behold, I started moving. The engine then slowed again, but I hit the D key again and the "problem" turned out to be operator error. So, problem is solved. For these sessions, you have to hit the D key for brake bail and might have to hit it a few times to fully clear the line.

The devil is in the details. I love this game. :D

Heinrich505

The bail-off ("d") is a function of the independent (loco) brake which is intended to release the loco brake without releasing the train brakes, so that the loco can start pulling out the slack in the couplings. In Trainz, if the train brake is not immediately released, or released before bailing-off, train brake pressure will re-pressurize the loco brakes. Hence the need to repeat the "d". Since it takes a while for train brake cylinder pressure to drop after the cab release, it seems to work best to release the train brake, then bail off.

:B~)

RHKluckhohn,
Thanks for the tip and explanation. I usually hit "Q" to clear the train brake first, then "E" to release the engine brake. On some sessions, this is all that is needed and once the pressure bleeds out, the engine starts moving when I throttle up. For the Mojave ones, out of desperation I hit "D" when nothing was happening and the engine seemed glued to the track at notch 8.:eek: That did the trick, but as you noted, I had to repeat the keystroke when it started to re-pressurize.

Heinrich505

Hi, Heinrich.

If the locos are starting the session with both train and independent brake set, yah, you'd have to hit the "e". I don't think that's very real 'cause the train brake also activates the loco brakes. I do have a quibble with Trainz over the "e." It's a straight on-off toggle which isn't real-world. Using the HUD independent lever permits a much more real use - that also worked with RailDriver in 12 and before. I do use the "e" but most often tap it on and off quickly to get a partial application, which should stay set but doesn't. The "E" should be incremental, like the HUD control. But it's not.

RHKluckhohn,
Yes, I toggle "E" quite often to keep my speed down when necessary, tapping it on and off quickly. Increments would be more realistic. I'm still learning the system but I will use the mouse to pull the slider up partways if I need an incremental application of the brakes and don't want them full on, instead of the brake lever in the cab view, as my mouse can get flighty sometimes when I try to adjust the brake lever in the cab. :eek:

Heinrich505

RHKluckhohn,
Yes, I toggle "E" quite often to keep my speed down when necessary, tapping it on and off quickly. Increments would be more realistic. I'm still learning the system but I will use the mouse to pull the slider up partways if I need an incremental application of the brakes and don't want them full on, instead of the brake lever in the cab view, as my mouse can get flighty sometimes when I try to adjust the brake lever in the cab. :eek:

Heinrich505

Make sure your system mouse driver is up-to-date. My preference is for the full-size Logitechs. I'm using a Kensington track ball that's on its fourth or fifth computer and is quite steady nearly all the time.

Back