Your lest favorite thing to do in making a route

- snip -
Towns/built up areas. I really hate doing these as unless you accept the fudge of placing down a few random houses can become a real time sink getting scenery done on urban routes.

Re gradients - can't say these ever trouble me. If I have the profile I'll use that for reference but if not I'll just average it over 1000 - 1500 metres (maybe less in the hills) and set the gradient tool accordingly.

Finding small buildings is tough I agree, but I've setup favorites with my authors I use often and know pretty much what they've created. Dave Snow and some others have some really nice buildings which are small enough to fit here and there and not all those gigantic ones which never seem to fit well. Building towns and cities is painful, I agree. I think in part this is due to having to align up each and every building one at a time instead of having a single click to make all building the same angle and same height.

-snip -

My biggest issue with making routes is separated into two categories, Prototypical Routes and Fictional Routes.

First off the issue I find with making prototypical routes is that they require lots and lots of custom made content, and depending on how much you need or how long that custom content is made, it can really bog down your route progress. Another issue I find that while DEM's are a excellent way to get started on making these routes Cascade made a great point that DEM's don't really give you the correct track gradients and it causes you to make a lot of edits to the ground terrain to get the correct level of gradient.

Then the issue I find with Fictional routes, well its very difficult to start making one right from the start. I remember it took me ages to figure out what I was going to do with to start making on (Should I start the route in a more mountain setting, or a city setting, or a more rural setting). Its only when I got the route pretty well started is when the creative juices start to flow, and it makes building fictional routes a lot easier to build once you have a starting point.

Surely amongst all the available content on the DLS it would be possible to find content that matches the period and style of the route you are modelling? Certainly, in the real world all stations, for example, will differ in some aspects of their design and/or construction. But does this mean that you have to create every building, every fence post as it actually was in real life? If that was the case, you would never finish a prototypical route. At least with historical routes where all the original buildings, even the old right of way, have long disappeared, no-one is going to criticise your selection of content. [I stand corrected - there will always be a few who will]

I agree. With prototypical routes you have track plans, photographs, maps, etc as your starting point. With fictional routes you only have your imagination ... perhaps that is the problem? But the hardest part I find with fictional routes is knowing when and where to stop. [Hmmm ... it could do with another tunnel here ... how about I extended it a bit further to put in another junction .... it needs more river crossings .... etc]

EDIT: I think Philskene has the right idea for fictional routes. Start by limiting yourself to a set number (the fewer the better) of baseboards and don't extend.

Having a theme is helpful here and then sticking to it. A fictional route can be just like a prototypical route except it's landscape is made up, and with a backstory and theme kept in context of the landscape, will make for a very convincing railroad.

DEM gradients aren't necessarily inaccurate and is dependent upon the underlying data to being with as well as using a 10 m grid instead of 5 meter with it's higher resolution. The other thing too is set the track spline points over longer distances rather than at shorter intervals and then approximate the grade in between with a smoothed track and landscape. The points you use in your track are based on the track profile and by measurements on Google Earth, which I found pretty close to what I found on the DEM and on the original topographic maps I used for my surface texture.

The issue though with prototypical routes is as you said content. Even if we find something that's similar to what is in the real place, we feel we're cheated because we know it's wrong. This is especially true of areas we know very well, and for that reason I found it difficult to work on my own hometown more than once when I tried building it.

All of these are why I prefer Model Railroadz. You don't need to model a whole town. You don't have to worry about HOG/DEM. You can compress towns and/or the areas in between the towns so you don't have to use multiple baseboards between the towns. You can also model specific areas on a Model Railroadz, such as a large bridge. You don't have to worry about having to use a whole baseboard to create the terrain around the railroad, just the area between the backdrop or wall and the edge of the benchwork. You don't have to model a whole building, just model part of it by placing it up against the backdrop or wall and hiding the rest of the building behind the wall or backdrop. These are some of the reasons why I prefer Model Railroadz. I'd suggest buying track plan books or looking online at websites with track plans to get some inspiration and ideas to create a Model Railroadz featuring the place you're trying to recreate in Trainz.

Last edited:
I don't mine most of the route building things, but my least favourite thing is the details (eg trash, old junk, etc). May seem realistic, but I personally fine it a pain as well.

Floating assets , currently placing 80 or so miles of trees grass and shrubs and so many of them float just enough above the surface to not look convincing , fortunately around creek banks vegetation on this route is prolific so they mostly hide each other by their closeness , but the sparser open grassland and pinyon pine juniper country looks lousy unless each tree is dropped a bit, and it takes forever .....

The buildings too. There's so much good stuff out there, but it's difficult remembering the assets without renaming them manually in CM at the time of the download. This issue will hopefully be rectified eventually.

That is where the Picklists are the solution you are looking for.

Picklist is the red buttons on the one screen that you can save your favarite stuff right? Not siting at my computer right now, I have a bunch of stuff saved that way, however not sure how to use the other buttons, when I click on another one, it just shows what I have saved on the first one.

Also does not help that I lost my list when the game crashed last month, have not got around to putting all of my fav's back in.

Also have found that searching for something with that search button works better than using the search list on the right with each category.

The favorites red-buttons are used for bookmarked locations. If you didn't set any bookmarks, then they won't bring you anywhere. The content is added in Content Manager, but that information can get lost if you have to do a major database rebuild.

Picklists allow you to create collections or libraries of your favourite or most used assets. Instead of trolling through the long list of assets in the objects, rolling stock and other selection lists and trying to remember what that "really cool" asset was called, you can call up the relevant picklist have its contents displayed and for easy selection.

I have picklists for textures, rolling stock, trees, shrubs and bushes, houses, people, etc.

Maybe not "Least Favorite" but biggest PITA --- Knowing what's out there.

It seems the only way to become aware of things is to read the forums. Interlocking Towers have been around from before I started with Trainz. I just learned about them a year ago when someone posted a question about them. Schedule Library is another. YARNish Roads, ATLS and TRC. Just today I found out about some interesting stuff from trev999.

These are examples of stuff that provides solutions to problems, but there is not a centralized "learning place".

This also extends, to a degree, with "objects" like buildings and trees and textures. There's a beautiful modular Shopping Plaza created by davesnow. How did I found out about it? Someone commented about it in a forum.

There are 448,115 buildings, scripts, rules, textures, roads, etc, etc, etc. It's impossible to get a handle on even a tiny portion of everything. So, yeah, it's a PITA, but it's also great.

Doing mountains and elevations, as they comsume too much time building them, don't matter if they're done vía custom displacements or in a manual way

Getting too hung up with details. Once I get started I find it hard to stop. At one point I found myself putting rose bushes in the yard of a house six blocks from the nearest track. I don't know why. Nobody was ever going to see them.

Getting too hung up with details. ... At one point I found myself putting rose bushes in the yard of a house six blocks from the nearest track. I don't know why. Nobody was ever going to see them.

It is almost as if you believe that you are creating a real world so everything, and I do mean everything, has to be perfect. You have to be a practitioner of the art of deception.

I use lo-poly assets (where available) for objects that are far from the track and only use the hi-poly assets close to the track. My favourite set of scenery houses is by sirgibby who has created 35 different houses with most of them supplied in normal, lo-poly and hi-poly versions. Most of these are already built in to TANE.

Other deception tricks include using the same buildings but orientating them so that a different side is seen from the tracks each time. Use of foliage to provide camouflage for lack of detail. Using textures to replace foliage in more distant scenes and to highlight gullies and streams.

Looks as if it is random on what people like doing and not like doing. On the route that I am working was trying to remember how to make a tunnel. I had forgot about the dighole thing. Also some reason sometimes having problems putting in bridges.

Getting too hung up with details. Once I get started I find it hard to stop. At one point I found myself putting rose bushes in the yard of a house six blocks from the nearest track. I don't know why. Nobody was ever going to see them.
You know they are there. You see them. You are the artistic creator.

But I understand where you're coming from. I have a large (for me) 30 baseboard layout of the Tampa Rockport area. I spent a lot of time Google mapping to get accurate distances. I put in all tracks and industries (named) and sidings. I spent hours and hours putting in trees and shrubs and crossings and etc, etc. I have come to realize that, on a layout that large, I'll never have enough time to make the entire layout look really, really good.

So, I decided to make a small 2 Baseboard layout where I can concentrate on the finer details. I may even put a rose bush in front of one of only ten houses. Now I flip back and forth between the two layouts depending on where my creative juices direct me. I also realize I'll never "finish" either one.

It is almost as if you believe that you are creating a real world so everything, and I do mean everything, has to be perfect. You have to be a practitioner of the art of deception.

I use lo-poly assets (where available) for objects that are far from the track and only use the hi-poly assets close to the track. My favourite set of scenery houses is by sirgibby who has created 35 different houses with most of them supplied in normal, lo-poly and hi-poly versions. Most of these are already built in to TANE.

Other deception tricks include using the same buildings but orientating them so that a different side is seen from the tracks each time. Use of foliage to provide camouflage for lack of detail. Using textures to replace foliage in more distant scenes and to highlight gullies and streams.

I think you may have missed my point. It's more of an OCD thing with me.

I think you may have missed my point. It's more of an OCD thing with me.

Possibly, but it is always far too easy for anyone, OCD or not, to get carried away with the detail - I have been there, done that and I do not consider myself to have OCD.

It is not just the wasted time and effort simply because no one will ever see it that far out from that track, it is also the effects on frame rates and performance. This will be less of a problem to those of us who have the "latest and greatest" gaming rigs but for many (most) of us without that advantage, the techniques I included in my previous post will allow "the details" to be there without the penalties.

Tunnels!

As in trying to create a small model railway with 760mm/30in track.

Finding tunnels is one thing, then getting them to fit/blend in is another.

We need a new method of tunnelling!

Maybe I should change from small narrow gauge modelling to large open spaced Aus/USA routes instead :)

Possibly, but it is always far too easy for anyone, OCD or not, to get carried away with the detail - I have been there, done that and I do not consider myself to have OCD.

It is not just the wasted time and effort simply because no one will ever see it that far out from that track, it is also the effects on frame rates and performance. This will be less of a problem to those of us who have the "latest and greatest" gaming rigs but for many (most) of us without that advantage, the techniques I included in my previous post will allow "the details" to be there without the penalties.

Actually, I don't consider myself to have OCD; it was a joke about doing things just because I can, not because I should.

And as it turns out I do have the latest and greatest gaming machine.

Fiddling with objects that have way too big or way too small a radius of influence. Yesterday I was trying to move a few trees and every tree would move except the one I wanted, even trees that were many meters away. Multi industry track is another culprit. Had a nice freight warehouse set up and was trying to add some signage and clutter every time I tried to rotate or move anything the track moved. I tried every angle and direction know to man and eventually got it but I'm sure my blood pressure went up more than it should have. Conversely, some items are just about impossible to more, rotate or delete unless one gets lucky enough to find the invisible sweet spot.

Back