Your lest favorite thing to do in making a route

Fiddling with objects that have way too big or way too small a radius of influence. Yesterday I was trying to move a few trees and every tree would move except the one I wanted, even trees that were many meters away. Multi industry track is another culprit. Had a nice freight warehouse set up and was trying to add some signage and clutter every time I tried to rotate or move anything the track moved. I tried every angle and direction know to man and eventually got it but I'm sure my blood pressure went up more than it should have. Conversely, some items are just about impossible to more, rotate or delete unless one gets lucky enough to find the invisible sweet spot.

Yup on both! I ran into this yesterday and gave up adding in the small asset I couldn't grab and adjust. The layers do work for the bigger items though. Move the item you don't want to move to a layer and lock it. When done do the properties on that object and move it back to your route layer. I have this setup and it works great.

Definitely use Layers. Under Route I have a sub-layer called Immovable. This Layer is locked. Once I have a MU or Dry Sort Yard where I want it, I change its Layer to Immovable. Thereafter I can add, rotate, move anything around it without messing it up. I just leave them in the Immovable layer and don't even bother moving them up to Route. The properties of objects in a locked layer can be changed, so you can change the production of an MU without messing with its layer.

Testing AI ... and finding it works 100% correctly ... and re-testing AI and finding it still works 100% correctly

Last edited:
Getting the whole damn thing set up just so AI doesn't behave too badly then testing and retesting every attempt to see how AI acts.
Let's face it, setting up industries, TMs, junctions, signals, Rules and Driver Commands is just like computer programming - EVERY LINE OF CODE HAS TO BE CORRECT or it ain't gonna work. That's our half of it.

N3V's half is making sure every TM, etc. is recognized each and every time.

Let's face it, setting up industries, TMs, junctions, signals, Rules and Driver Commands is just like computer programming - EVERY LINE OF CODE HAS TO BE CORRECT or it ain't gonna work. That's our half of it.

N3V's half is making sure every TM, etc. is recognized each and every time.

And they are working on that. With the backdate of the code in Driver, the AI recognize their track marks again. Tony did say that the underlying code needs a complete rewrite, but that will take time so rather than leave us completely dead in the water, they went back to the version where they worked, although with the odd creepy speeds through yards where they require a bit of encouragement occasionally. To be honest, after dealing with the mess in the currently released version, I would rather deal with creepy AI.

Here is what I really dislike: Having beta testers report issues to you about a session, and you do it just to fine out you can't reproduce the problem...(I had a problem reported a few hours ago, something that I can't reproduce...drives me nuts!)

Placing roads or any other splines. They always insist on making huge curves rather than staying straight when you intersect with another road or spline.

Placing roads or any other splines. They always insist on making huge curves rather than staying straight when you intersect with another road or spline.
Most of these splines are able to be locked straight with the straighten spline tool. There are some that don't respond to this.

Here is what I really dislike: Having beta testers report issues to you about a session, and you do it just to fine out you can't reproduce the problem...(I had a problem reported a few hours ago, something that I can't reproduce...drives me nuts!)

That's the fun part of beta testing and fixing. :)

This sounds like an evil intermittent bug. Intermittent problems are the worst creatures in the world right down there with mosquitoes, bedbugs, termites, and bot flies, because they're not easy to reproduce on the developer's end, and sometimes only happen under "some" circumstances, which no one can figure out exactly what causes the problem in the first place.

That's the fun part of beta testing and fixing. :)

This sounds like an evil intermittent bug. Intermittent problems are the worst creatures in the world right down there with mosquitoes, bedbugs, termites, and bot flies, because they're not easy to reproduce on the developer's end, and sometimes only happen under "some" circumstances, which no one can figure out exactly what causes the problem in the first place.
lol.
I blame it on SP2 series of TANE - nothing but problems, and then problems with beta / purchasers of the DLC on different hardware configurations (Intel, AMD, NIVDIA, etc).

lol.
I blame it on SP2 series of TANE - nothing but problems, and then problems with beta / purchasers of the DLC on different hardware configurations (Intel, AMD, NIVDIA, etc).

Yup. The released SP2 HF1 has been a real dog, and that's put very meekly so I don't get an infraction! The different processors can cause some differences, but I don't think it's that much to cause the issues we're seeing. It's the inconsistencies with the drivers that go well beyond what's "normal" for the AI, which makes testing in that version dreadful.

I will say that SP2 HF2 is actually been a pleasure so far, knocking on wood, and should things go well we'll have a nice release even with the bugs I've reported back and they've added to the list to be repaired.

Yup. The released SP2 HF1 has been a real dog, and that's put very meekly so I don't get an infraction! The different processors can cause some differences, but I don't think it's that much to cause the issues we're seeing. It's the inconsistencies with the drivers that go well beyond what's "normal" for the AI, which makes testing in that version dreadful.

I will say that SP2 HF2 is actually been a pleasure so far, knocking on wood, and should things go well we'll have a nice release even with the bugs I've reported back and they've added to the list to be repaired.
I'm hoping it'll be like SP1 HF4, as that version was stable. I didn't sign up to test it this time, as time is extremely limited on it, so I'll wait until its released:)
If not, RIP everyone then

Back