Constructing the Kab Fourword Railroad - a pictorial chronicle

philskene

For those interested in Trainz model railroads and those who may have ambitions to create their own model layout, I thought I should do a pictorial chronicle of the construction of the Kab Fourword Railroad. Several of the screen shotz and videos have been shown in other threads. This brings them all together.

The design brief:
Set perhaps somewhere in the Rocky Mountains, possibly part of a transcontinental route, because of the tunnels and steep grades maybe needing the use of SP Cab Forward locomotives in the days of steam.
Lots of track on trestles and rocky ledges.
A combination of out and home, continuous loop and a dumb bell loop running.
Logging and mining industries so that the layout can also be worked as a short line.​

This is the first cut at track laying:

Map view:

KabFourword_map.jpg

Three views:

KabFourword_01.jpg

KabFourword_02.jpg

KabFourword_03.jpg

The first challenge -- setting the grades to give clearances when one track passes over another. Maximum gradient is 2.5%

KabFourword_04.jpg

The above is very difficult to interpret. However, replacing the track with trestles allows a much better visualisation of the layout. It's also possible to trace the dumb bell shaped loop on the upper level:

KabFourword_05.jpg

KabFourword_06.jpg

KabFourword_07.jpg

(CONTINUES)

Last edited:
(CONTINUED)

Hmm. At this juncture I thought I should see if track can actually be placed to give the impression that it is on a rocky ledge. Trust me, I soon discovered that I was in unknown territory here. This is a mock up of the best design that I could come up with using assets that were either built-in or on the Download Station:

KabFourword_08.jpg

KabFourword_09.jpg

And a short video:

This gave me sufficient confidence to go ahead with the layout, starting with some track laying at the small town of Fourword which has a classification yard, locomotive facilities, workshop, ferry barge, ... :

KabFourword_010.jpg

And to do the sections where the track runs on rocky ledges:

KabFourword_011.jpg

KabFourword_012.jpg

KabFourword_013.jpg

(CONTINUES)

Last edited:
(CONTINUED)

Now, at this stage I honestly thought that I might be being too ambitious and should just bin the whole project. But after much indecision and anguish I went ahead with the terra-forming:

KabFourword_014.jpg

KabFourword_015.jpg

KabFourword_016.jpg

KabFourword_016.jpg

And another video of a quick lap around the layout:

Now for the texturing. This is the undercoat. HP-gras22 for the hills and mountains, LRW Track Brown Ballast for the level sections and below the water (all orientated N and at the maximum settings)

KabFourword_017.jpg

KabFourword_018.jpg

The track plan also evolved to become this:

KabFourword_map2_names.jpg

(CONTINUES)

Last edited:
(CONTINUED)

Yes, the texture looks very uniform. More texturing, all orientated N and at the maximum setting:
For the rocky highlights -- Z Rock 13.
For the ridges -- HP-Sand04 and 05.
For the places where water might accumulate -- murva 17 and Oz Dirt Darker.
And finally cobbles01​

One final change - the track. I had used the LRW brown ballast track. It looks good and seems frame rate friendly. But I found that the LOD (Level Of Detail) cut-offs were just a little too aggressive meaning that at longer distances the track just disappeared. I replaced it with the built-in N3V T:ANE track.

And of course, the floor, the fascia and the brick walls give that model railroad appearance.

Fourword. From foreground to background:
Ferry barge (this is the fiddle yard (US = staging yard?) where the player can remove and make up consists).
Steamship Wharf.
Workshop.
Freight House.
Locomotive Depot.
Gilpin Ore Rotary Dumper.
Stock Yards.​

KabFourword_019.jpg

The opposite view:

KabFourword_020.jpg

The "right" section:

KabFourword_021.jpg

The "left" section:

KabFourword_022.jpg

The "central" section - the Kab Plateau with logging camp and the spiral down to the coal unloader:

KabFourword_023.jpg

The coal unloader:

KabFourword_024.jpg

(CONTINUES)

Last edited:
(CONTINUED)

Kohl Mine and the Dry Sort Yard:

KabFourword_025.jpg

Dry Sort Yard and Saw Mill:

KabFourword_026.jpg

And, finally, a quick lap around the layout:

I hesitate to use the word "finished". It's been said that Trainz routes and layouts are never ever finished. It's just that the author eventually gives up.

Phil

Last edited:
Back