"Startup" used in Locomotive description?

I'm not quite sure how you don't know, so I'll try to explain it a different way.

Engines are not always running. When you leave your car chances are you turn it off, and when you go out to use it again you turn it on. The same is true of everything - you have to be able to turn engines, be they engines in trains, planes, ships, etc. on and off the same way you would turn the engine in a car on and off. The "Startup" command turns an engine on in Trainz. The "Shutdown" command turns it off.

Planes are easier to see whether they are on or off than most trains, because they have propellors or turbines which spin when the motor is running. Therefore, you see the "Startup" command a lot more frequently with reference to planes because it doesn't look correct to have a plane sitting at the loading gate with the propellors spinning as if it was still in the air.

Thank you, Trainboi1, for that explanation. I hate to admit it but the "startup" at the end of the name of aircraft assets has always puzzled me as well.

Hi guys,

All my recent aircraft are startup, when initially placed the aircraft do not have the engines running. There are only three keyboard keys that we can use in the script for the aircraft, B, V and H. The B key starts or stops the engines, the V key flares the aircraft for landing, or fires missiles on military aircraft, the H key opens doors or raises or lowers helicopters above the invisible track for a realistic takeoff or landing.

All other animations, and there are quite a few, use the Aircraft Action Trigger, or are triggered automatically based on speed (flaps, landing gear retraction). The trigger is placed on the track and set to a specific number to trigger an animation when an aircraft passes. You will find the settings listed in the config file for each aircraft.

The Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft uses these settings:

The aircraft has a number of animations that can be operated by keyboard keys, or the Aircraft Action Trigger, kuid2:76656:24060:1, when placed on track and set to the correct number:

- to start engines, press the B key or use trigger setting 2. An engine start rule is also available for AI.
- issue smoke and sound from the tyres when landing, use trigger setting 4.
- to flare the aircraft for landing, trigger setting 7 or V key.
- come to a gradual stop on landing, trigger setting 9.
- use reverse thrust on engines for 10 seconds trigger setting 13.
- set speed to 40% of maximum speed, for landing approach, trigger setting 14.

The Eurocopter Tiger helicopter uses these:

- initially the rotors are stationary, use the B key or triggger setting 2 to start or stop the rotors;
- the helicopter will lift and hover above the track, using the H key or trigger setting 1 - use the H key again to lower the helicopter;
- maximum hover height is 15 metres, variable in the string table above, default setting 10 metres;
- the V key fires the SNEB missiles from the inner pods, two key presses fires in sequence;
- missiles on the outer pods can be changed in Surveyor;
- the radar operates automatically and the gun tracks randomly.

There is also an AI rule for the B and the H key:
Aircraft Engine Start Command, kuid2:60238:8004:1,
Aircraft Helicopter Takeoff Command kuid2:60238:8005:1

You will find a lot of info on using the aircraft and runway models in this thread:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?50753

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you for all your detailed information. I learnt something new today.

Cheers mate,
Roy

Thanks!

Where is this "config" file found? And how does one find these commands on the DLS? I searched for one of them (Aircraft Engine Start) and it didn't show up. tried to search by kuid number, but that did not work either?

Very frustrating- the start engine commands don't repeat? I want it to land, shut down, wait, restart, takeoff, fly to a point, etc...

This is getting frustrating.......

In Tane, open a Manage Content window and find the aircraft model you want to look at. Double click with the Left Mouse button to open the config file so you can read it, scroll down the page to see it all.

The Engine start or stop rule should work in AI. If you stop the engine using it make sure you wait for the animation and sound to completely finish. If you use the Start?stop command before that has happened it will only repeat the stopping action. Perhaps your wait time is too short.

Ian

Back