HELP: Rolling stock shadows leaking through bench work!

JonMyrlennBailey

Even if the time is set at 12 noon, shadows of rail cars and engines will still leak through wall content like the huge plaster wall I have to close off the underside of my bench work. I could use the black wall spline but it is ugly as sin. I tried it already and did not like the looks. I also use a 1-meter gray brick wall as a molding around my table edge. It blends in nicely with road gravel and ballast along the table edges. The bold black color ruins the aesthetics of the layout. I like the tan/neutral color and texture of the plaster as it is a natural earth tone that seems to camouflage with the earth textures of the layout and not draw attention to itself. BIG brick wall might also work. The shadows might not be as conspicuous. is there a solution to have nice-looking bench work that will block train shadows as well? It would be nice if there was some nice-looking shadow-blocking big/huge wall content for bench-work development.

Here is a shot of my latest model trainz project (Jon's Gridiron G-scale) in action on a test run, note the rear projection TV effect of the shadows on the plaster wall as if the wall were a television screen:
2chnq6c.jpg

When I work on my Modelz in TANE, I turn shadows off, makes things actually look more model-like.

Not sure what you can do if you are using TS12.

Last edited:
Put the “world origin” on your map and set it to a place on the equator. That way the sun comes from straight above; as if the lights in a room are in the middle.

Where is the equator on a Trainz map?

I tried putting the World Origin smack in the center of the train room. The trains run around the perimeter of the room near the walls. Still getting shadows coming out of the bench work plaster although the shadows seemed to be much closer to the floor now so they are not quite as conspicuous. I also had my environment set to 12:00 noon on June 22, the first day of summer.

Oh, hold it, people! I just discovered something and edited the World Origin and put the longitude and latitude at (zero) degrees each. The altitude is 0 also. Should it be higher?

I set the date to December 22 since equatorial summer begins on that day. If I set the date to June 22, then my trees are defoliated. Time still at 12:00 noon. And the offending shadows seem to be gone so far...as long as the tracks are not too close to the plaster wall.

Even model trains will have shadows directly underneath them when the lights in the room are overhead.

Last edited:
Good that you got it fixed, I have not messed with world origin button before, will remember what you found out about for future reference.

You just paint the benchwork black or use a fascia and drop cloth too.................. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back