Ok the asus has failed and been returned to them, they doubt i will get it back.

tdstead

Narrow minded Tram Person
Due to it being the 2015 model and having 3 faults now wanting to do atleast one a day a chkdsk to repair boot sector not restarting just shutting down probly same cause and shutting down on its own when set to never as well.

Still want to stay with a laptop cauae i use it in my place and 2 sisters homes so a msi gaming laptop or a asus rog series laptop and witch model.

Tom

MSI makes a decent and expensive gaming machine. I looked at those when I was upgrading my old Alienware from 2010. In the end I ended up with an Alienware 15, which came with a GTX980 at the time back in 2016 because I got a good deal with the trade-in of my old machine plus a rebate at the time as well they had going on. I think I saved over $1000 off the price of the machine with that. Dell also gave me a free backup Seagate 8TB backup drive and a free 32-inch TV that I use as my larger display for text and watching videos.

It runs T:ANE well. Today they come with GTX1060s and GTX180s and are still very well made machines. Prices wise they are comparable to the ASUS and up into the MSI range if you go full options for everything.

Hi Tom, I'd suggest having a chat to the fellas at Harvey's in Traralgon (they're desperate for sales and promise to price match). If they don't have something in stock they can get it in. They also offer product care as an option - 12 months manufacturers warranty followed by 2 years replacement warranty. Your 3 year old PC may just be inside ACCC's reasonable lifetime and as your PC has suffered a major fault, even though it's out of warranty they might still tell Asus to replace it, it's worth a shot.
If you don't mind waiting and are comfortable buying online, Umart in Brisbane have some very good prices on MSI and Asus laptops. (if you do buy an Asus laptop, the first thing to do is reset the OS to get rid of the bloatware that ships with it.)
cheers
Graeme

Hi Tom, 3 laptops to look at:
https://www.umart.com.au/MSI-GP62M-...-+128G-SSD-GTX1050-4G-15-inch-W10_39970G.html $1499
https://www.umart.com.au/Asus-GL553...SD--GTX-1050-4G--15-6-FHD--WIN-10_38259G.html $1599
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/acer-predator-helios-300-15-6-gaming-laptop.html $2296 Offer Interest Free terms as well @ $47 per month
The acer is a lot dearer, but is perfect for trainz with 16gb ram and a 6gb GTX1060
Scorptec are offering this https://www.scorptec.com.au/product...zguPsjR8Y8q4dm1WI3-u_9HDplh6wQGBoCyCYQAvD_BwE with 256gb ssd and2tb hdd for $1799
cheers
Graeme

Last edited:
Believe it or not his my 2nd laptop thats died on me under this system, first was a toshiba, last time i was given store credit to replace it. The asus t he salesman who said it would be ok for trainz it wa x for ts12 but only coped with tane.

The MSI GV62-7RD-1667-AU looks pretty good to me icore 7 2.8ghz 8gb ram, and mainly that GTX 1050 will be a big improvement over what i had, the asus was mainly weak on graphics power. They are showing no stock at my store but would rather wait for one of these i think, a friend said to get MSI too.

Tom

Believe it or not his my 2nd laptop thats died on me under this system, first was a toshiba, last time i was given store credit to replace it. The asus t he salesman who said it would be ok for trainz it wa x for ts12 but only coped with tane.

The MSI GV62-7RD-1667-AU looks pretty good to me icore 7 2.8ghz 8gb ram, and mainly that GTX 1050 will be a big improvement over what i had, the asus was mainly weak on graphics power. They are showing no stock at my store but would rather wait for one of these i think, a friend said to get MSI too.

Tom
Granted, the GTX1050 2GB will run TANE in 1080p, the trade off being performance, which will require you to drastically lower your settings and draw distance. The computer you saw is 1499 at Scorptec in Melbourne and they have stock. For an extra $300 you would move up to the Acer Predator with 16gb RAM, i7, 256 ssd 2TB HDD and thrown in on top of that a GTX1060 6GB. (I paid $550 for my 1060 last July) and Scorptec have stock. In Trainz the difference would be having all settings on high or ultra with a 6km draw distance and constantly between 30-60 FPS. It will also run multiple AI trains very smoothly. It is better than the rig that I have which is only an i5 8gb ram and those are the settings I use. It will also future proof your PC for the next version of Trainz which is due out this year.
For what it's worth, I used to be the computers dept manager at Harvey Norman Traralgon and Moe and have advised hundreds of people of the type of computer that is right for their needs.
Good luck with your search!
cheers
Graeme

Like the idea of the better graphics card, from what they said the difference between 1050 and 1060 is huge. from what i saw on the reviews on you tube the acer does look good but no internal dvd, i like physical copys, im old school cant help it, only option would be buy a external i guess

DVDs are old hat apparently. Even my new desktop has no spot for one in the case, so I bought an external for $29.
There is a huge difference between the 1050 and 1060 and the extra memory will be handy as I've seen mine using 3.5GB memory in Trainz on some larger and more detailed routes. If you could see them running side by side, you would see a noticeable difference in fps and smoothness.
cheers
Graeme (from Churchill)

Thanks for being so helpful, told it got picked up yesterday to goto asus .... just have to wait i guess.

MSI makes a decent and expensive gaming machine. I looked at those when I was upgrading my old Alienware from 2010. In the end I ended up with an Alienware 15, which came with a GTX980 at the time back in 2016 because I got a good deal with the trade-in of my old machine plus a rebate at the time as well they had going on. I think I saved over $1000 off the price of the machine with that. Dell also gave me a free backup Seagate 8TB backup drive and a free 32-inch TV that I use as my larger display for text and watching videos.

It runs T:ANE well. Today they come with GTX1060s and GTX180s and are still very well made machines. Prices wise they are comparable to the ASUS and up into the MSI range if you go full options for everything.

I just purchased and Alienware I7 with a GTX1080. It runs everything I have with no stuttering with all sliders (except shadows) maxed out. So far it appears to run as smoothly as my desktop which uses a 1080 TI graphics card.

Sorry forgot to put message up....
they checked it and found they could
1. Repair it .... needed upgrade anyway, was thinking of it already
2. Replace it with compatible machine .... same as above
3. Offer me $975 for the machine $500 less t han i paid but this the option i choose
Now waiting for a refund to get the acer helios predator has a i7-7700hq 16gb mem and gtx1060 in it will be a vast inprovement on what i had

Good Info being shared here, and from what I experienced with the Builtin Graphics Card on my HP Envy, with 16 Gigs of Ram, Samsung SSD running Samsung Magician etc. I would never buy another Shared Graphics Card on Laptop........Mine is a slouch when considering I have 1 Tera SSD and fast Ram maxed out on this laptop......It was a big mistake buying my Laptop with Shared GPU, it can't handle the Frame Rates, and too me, that hurts in this particular game when Rendering look ahead Objects whether it be Trains, Rolling Stock Buildings and even Texture..........

My next Laptop will probably be Alien or one of the others mentioned here. Absolutely understand the CD Drive thing, and old school thing, unfortunately it looks like we are getting pushed out with internal DVD units for both slimness of design and other things.

One other thing I would like to mention if I may, they make good size USB memory sticks, up to 256 Gig I believe, and that can be convenient for some of your Trainz backups.......I use Carbonite for my computers (backup off-site) and spare External Drive for all my T:ANE Files, which looks like I am running about 300Gigs for now...........

For the express purpose of having a 3 way backup, this year and last, I noticed a number of Trainzers with Hard Drive and Computer crashes.

One of the poor fellows had a Route that was 2-3 years in the making if I recall correctly, and he lost all his hard work..........In my case, I have experienced Hard Drive Crashes in the late 80's fortunately I only lost some Word Documents which I had some print outs and had to manually remake them,, what a pain.......Back then we had Floppy Disks 1.2 meg and smaller size 760k or something, been too long.......The round graphite ones, and the Plastic Case ones you fit in your shirt pocket with my 6 Ink Pins.............Yes I am a geek and proud of it.......LOL

Wish you good luck with your computer.............And you have some mighty good friends here helping you too I see.

Yep keep saving my new modelrailroad to a cdp file on my 1tb backup drive just in case, did not want to loose it.

Tom

As you can see below new machine has arrived got lucky 20% off today witch actually paid for the 3 years product care....

Just woundering when i load trainz all on the ssd, all on the bigger drive or main on ssd and my data on the bigger drive, the ssd does not seem that big thinking it will fill fast

Added loaded it all on d upto build 90945

Tom

Last edited:
Back