Reported SPAM - split from spam post - please read mod reaction and request

And one that has been reported over 9 hours ago is still there. I realize mods aren't on here 24/7, but it really makes the Trainz forums look vulnerable and antiquated.

Frankly, I'm embarrassed for N3V.

@Jordon,
It is called SPAM. Please only report it and don’t bother making an extra post about it in this topic. See Shanen’s post #31 in this topic for the details.

@MF01,
See Zec’s post #7 in this topic for why or why not N3V is doing anything.

@Sharknose,
I am the only moderator in Europe. My new job keeps me busy during workdays and this weekend I had the joy of spending most of my time sleeping, on the toilet and/or looking like a zombie. So if Zec doesn’t do any moderator stuff outside his office hours and the US crew wakes up late (or even at a normal hour I fear), you / we end up with having spam on the forum for a lot of hours.
I told them about my new job 6 weeks ago.

Fact is that nowadays I spend more time cleaning spam than actually playing the game and I am loosing the fun in that fast.

Last edited:
My post was not meant as a knock at you or other mods, oknotsen. It's just that this version of vBulletin (if any version is) is not very spam savvy.

Feel better.

All understood and no-one is criticising the mods. However as I type this I've noticed two more spam threads in general and I have to agree with the sentiment expressed above that it does not reflect very professionally on a software developer. It is N3V's forum and they really need to start to own the problem. I frequent several forums across a spectrum of interest and none are afflicted with this issue. How long before we open the General Page to be confronted by multiple spam entries, as word gets round the dark net the Trainz forums are a soft touch.

My post was not meant as a knock at you or other mods, oknotsen. It's just that this version of vBulletin (if any version is) is not very spam savvy.
I didn't take your post like that :) and am sorry if I made you feel that way, especially as you are one of the more frequent reporters of spam.

What I hoped to do was to more explain the (current lack of or slow) moderation during "European" hours.

I get the idea that most of the spam occurs during the Australian (Zec) and early European (me) hours. If N3V doesn't make any technical changes to prevent spam, maybe they could consider adding someone to "the team" during those hours.

Feel better.
Thank you :) . Back to work tomorrow.

It's a bit like the Trainz Questions site as I'm the main one that deals with spam over there at the moment (although I do have mass deletion as an option).

Shane

I'm a night owl and do a lot of reporting as well. I do not post anything on that threads that I have reported, however.

Should we setup a thread, here in the community section, for example, to state if a thread has been SPAM reported? (or is it really worth doing that)

The reason for not posting in the threads is to prevent them from being promoted.

This thread is doing a pretty good job of letting the spammer know people are reading them......

Why ? They can read this thread even if they don't have any games ? But if that's so it dosen't change anything as they can see how active is the general trainz section. Anyway more and more of these spammers right now it's getting berserk

If you simply use the "REPORT" button to report the SPAM, and make no comments about it, nor hold any conversations in the SPAM tread, then they will not know the SPAM is bothering you (us)

Last edited:
When the problem is causing genuine forum users to become irritable with each other, it's time for N3V to take some action... please.

I'm a night owl and do a lot of reporting as well. I do not post anything on that threads that I have reported, however.

Should we setup a thread, here in the community section, for example, to state if a thread has been SPAM reported? (or is it really worth doing that)

The reason for not posting in the threads is to prevent them from being promoted.

My habit is to do a simple post, "Post reported" ...

and I think that is worthwhile. Otherwise, who will know if it is reported or not?

There's another thread just appeared (10.59 UK time) .

If possible the forum needs a Spam button as well as the report button , the spam button temporarily blocks the thread and prevents forum users from actually accessing it (to read its contents) until a mod can verify it , that way if caught early by a non moderator then at least the thread post count wont climb which is a good indicator to the spammer on how much coverage their post is getting .

Yes I'm fully aware such a button could be open to abuse on non spam threads but a moderator would know who clicked it and an abuser could be dealt with under forum rules .

The way I do it is that if I'm unsure I report it anyway. More than one report can help the mods identify problem threads easier from experience.

Shane

EDIT: That sounds like a good idea to me nexusdj.

My habit is to do a simple post, "Post reported" ...

and I think that is worthwhile. Otherwise, who will know if it is reported or not?
If you post the words, or any comment: "Post reported" in the SPAMERS thread, Then the SPAMMER knows that he effectively got through, and is indeed bothering you, giving him great satisfaction

Post no comments at al in the SPAMERS thread !

Again high time N3V stepped in to deal with this. You would have thought a company with a multi $1000 dollar software business would have both people with the expertise to stop this and the business acumen to realise the negative effect it has...

AKA... get off your posteriors and do something! :)

I just deleted the 11th spam topic since I woke up this morning (about 10 hours ago). I am starting to loose motivation fast as I currently spend more time cleaning spam then actually playing the game (haven't seen surveyor for over a month now).

I just informed N3V about this and hopefully they do something with that information.

Spammers are getting smarter and smarter :hehe: so now instead of create a new thread they simply reply on existing ones

It looks like the same spammer? maybe get an IP and report to abuse@whatever ISP the clown is using.

Back