Reported SPAM - split from spam post - please read mod reaction and request

Hi All
I have had a quick look through the recent spam posts; and out of about 20 posts only a handful had similar or identical ip addresses (the only identical ones were when two posts were made with the same username; and only 2 posts with different usernames had similar but not identical IP addresses). As such it's not really an option to use IP bans, etc. The IP addresses all appear to be VPNs or similar; or IP addresses in locations that are unlikely to take action on reports (hence why there is a problem with spam in general...).

I have asked our admin to look again into our anti-spam system; however unfortunately the most effective system we had was also making a lot of legitimate posts 'moderated' (ie requiring a moderator to approve them). Unfortunately the only way to see these posts, without viewing every post in every thread, is a page that already has several hundred (actually I think several thousand) 'moderated' posts listed on a single page that takes about 10 minutes to load and was not ordered correctly. As such it was becoming unmanageable to find legitimate posts that were being marked as 'moderated'.

Additionally, the previous 'captcha' system that we were using has recently been shut down, and we have had to revert to the forum's built-in 'captcha' system until a replacement can be found (our admin is still investigating this). Unfortunately the built-in system is not the most effective against spammers these days.

Regards

Additionally, the previous 'captcha' system that we were using has recently been shut down, and we have had to revert to the forum's built-in 'captcha' system until a replacement can be found (our admin is still investigating this). Unfortunately the built-in system is not the most effective against spammers these days.

https://www.google.com/recaptcha/

Still recommended, still going, and not going to go anywhere. And for most users, if it does trigger more regular users (like the last one did when it was first set up), will be just a simple check box.

peter

Hi All
Our admin has made some changes to re-enable the 'Re-Captcha' system on the forums, and this should hopefully help prevent spam on the forums again.

Regards

Our admin has made some changes to re-enable the 'Re-Captcha' system on the forums, and this should hopefully help prevent spam on the forums again.
That has made it impossible for members to retrieve their password. The Captcha always fails because it is out of date.
y4msj9YPDZ7j9NwbwQeQoThm2kOyRFQH1ZWsAnqm9rFr47UJo3AMzxpHRUF3PX7HhOu6pd3JwHHzIYn2eS8XY7-J98qfRZ1kAcHJqWx0PfN5bvv7ZimX9IRZBQxzyoW_NFSHm60o-GP7Rmf4cXr7HxDWSnb6aQMl4r0rhP4TWcTswD1B5_5Xpdsbs3HWpqBKR4Tvnn1nGYjGSap0EjBBJW1tQ

Hi BuilderBob
I have passed this on to our admin for him to look into, however it may be a day or so before he can look into it.

Regards

No less than four separate threads on the General Forum this morning. CBA to report them all individually.

Obviously a really high priority at N3V Towers to sort this out.

Raise your game, guys.

No less than four separate threads on the General Forum this morning. CBA to report them all individually.

Obviously a really high priority at N3V Towers to sort this out.

Raise your game, guys.

I'm tired of reporting the spam. Plus the system makes you wait a minute between subsequent reports. :p

More "Green eggs and SPAM" right now. I am getting very tired of it... when will N3V do something about it?... We need more moderators...:sleep:

Better get used to seeing SPAM ... People are getting paid to SPAM sites

It's going to be a worldwide SPAM epidemic

n4CpGuj.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry about the small bump,but right now there is a whole page of spam in Chinese/Japanese in the General Trainz section.. And in English to. There is spam when this post was made.

Where are the moderators ..... ?!
The forum is under attack and nobody is doing anything about it !

Sick of reporting the posts .

Doesn't exactly send out a great message to any potential customers when they arrive on the forum and find the only section they can post in is full of spam posts . I mean would you spend money with a company that allows its forums to be easily spammed !!

Moderate the first few posts of any new member and this will stop straight away ...... its not rocket science !!!!!

The hell is happening I mean there's a full page with gibberish. Please N3V do something and put a restriction that only users with a registered copy can access the general thread and others, it's really annoying now...

The hell is happening I mean there's a full page with gibberish. Please N3V do something and put a restriction that only users with a registered copy can access the general thread and others, it's really annoying now...

+1

This is getting ridiculous, other forums don't have this problem, it needs fixing properly.

Where are the moderators ..... ?!

Sick of reporting the posts .

Doesn't exactly send out a great message to any potential customers when they arrive on the forum and find the only section they can post in is full of spam posts . I mean would you spend money with a company that allows its forums to be easily spammed !!

Moderate the first few posts of any new member and this will stop straight away ...... its not rocket science !!!!!

Our one active moderator seems to have dealt with it, likewise getting fed up with reporting posts.

The forum needs more moderators , throwing sarcasm at a member about being at work is not good enough on a forum that operates 24/7 .

If taking on more moderators is out of the question (do they cost money?) then just set the forum up to moderate the first few posts of a new member without a registered copy of Trainz ,
A new member genuinely interested in purchasing the Sim will happily wait for a post to be moderated and shown .

Back