Recommendations....

Railhead001

Hello Gents.

I knew this day would come. So some of you may have noticed my recent posting concerning my Pioneer X expansion that I just completed. Needless to say with the added detail of this expansion, my current video card a GTX-1060 (6 GB) version and I7 7700@4.2 with 16GB ram is starting to be put through the ringer running with ultra settings except for low shadows. Plus with game play videos reaching 14GB, editing them is also taking its toll. So I think the first choice to upgrade should be a new video card and I am seeking recommendations that won't break the bank. I really do not want spend more than 450. US if at all possible.

As a side note with these settings at 1920x1080 resolution I am getting 35-60fps which is satisfactory but in some areas it can drop especially when I add additional freight cars. Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

RH001

Good luck finding a better video card than you're currently running for only US$450 in the current bitcoin-mining era!
I just checked out the US prices on my current Asus ROG Strix GTX-1070 OC 8Gb and nearly fainted! (Was considering purchasing a second one to run in SLI as a cost-effective way of upgrading my gaming experience whilst I wait out new 10nm CPU architectures).
I certainly won't be doing that until the heat dissipates from the GPU market after the cryptocurrency bubble bursts (again).
Best bet for you might be to overclock your current card - or consider a 2nd-hand GTX-1080 perhaps.
Don't think nVidia allows SLI on 1060s. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

Last edited:
Good luck finding a better video card than you're currently running for only US$450 in the current bitcoin-mining era!
I just checked out the US prices on my current Asus ROG Strix GTX-1070 OC 8Gb and nearly fainted! (Was considering purchasing a second one to run in SLI as a cost-effective way of upgrading my gaming experience whilst I wait out new 10nm CPU architectures).
I certainly won't be doing that until the heat dissipates from the GPU market after the cryptocurrency bubble bursts (again).
Best bet for you might be to overclock your current card - or consider a 2nd-hand GTX-1080 perhaps.
Don't think nVidia allows SLI on 1060s. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

No SLI mode for the 6GB 1060, sheesh............time to donate plasma................

I think the GTX 1060 is a decent graphics card. I am using an EVGA GTX 1060 SSC 6GB card but I don't think I am seeing the full performance of the card due to my older AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU, causing a potential bottleneck. I also agree with PC_Ace. The SSC card can be overclocked to a decent clock speed about 400-500 Mhz above stock speed but I would be careful. I usually don't like overclocking but definitely make sure that you PSU has enough overclocking headroom and that your system case airflow is good.

Had a fit of madness as itching to try out a Ryzen Processor and as the motherboard on my number 2 rig is gradually destroying itself, I went out and got a Ryzen 5 1600, 6 cores 12 threads and an Asus Prime B350 plus motherboard, running with the GTX970 from the dying PC with one out of the two fans dead, next little job on the list. Runs TANE very nicely, better than the i7-3600K it's replaced, Frame rates up by 20 or so FPS, pleasantly surprised. Blows away the i7 on multicore about equal on single core bench marks.

The dying motherboard, lost PCI slots first then Audio finally two dead ram slots can't get a replacement other than from dodgy looking Asian sites so written it off.

So the point being looking for a cheap Processor upgrade consider the Ryzens!

Last edited:
clam1952 - Not at all surprised by your positive experience with this first generation of exceptionally affordable Ryzens. They have mostly all reviewed really well, especially the Ryzen 5s.
It's their 2nd gen effort - out soon - that should be remarkable in terms of price/performance: Claims are that they operate at higher frequencies and have better instructions per clock and thermal performance.
If true, then they are most certainly worth consideration for those of us looking to upgrade ageing rigs.

Last edited:
Back