Grouping trackmarks

tupuluruk

TRS 2006 / TRS 2004
I have some where read that we can group trackmarks in trainz. Can some one
guide me as to how to bring number of trackmarks under one group ? I know
'~' is used to do this but how to ?
Thanks in advance

I will describe how I did it previously ... Too tired tonight ... Generaly I deleted many hundreds of trackmarks down to the bare minimum needed ... as the list gets extremely much too long, if you have hundreds

I think I did it alphabetically, in conjunction with using the ~ and ` symbols

Last edited:
Can some one
guide me as to how to bring number of trackmarks under one group ?
Yes, you are on the right track. Construct your trackmarks in this format: Base-name~sub-name

For example:

A~Track1
A~Track2
A~Some thing
B~Track 1
B~Track C
Something~Else

When you use Drive to Trackmark each group will have its own tier of destinations.

Trevor

Yes, you are on the right track. Construct your trackmarks in this format: Base-name~sub-name

For example:

A~Track1
A~Track2
A~Some thing
B~Track 1
B~Track C
Something~Else

When you use Drive to Trackmark each group will have its own tier of destinations.

Trevor
I have used the method suggested but not getting the results. I have a station with 4 tracks and
I have used A~EGMNEM1, A~EGMNEM2 etc., but the results are as shown in the image.
Can you please guide me as to where I am going wrong.
Egmore_M.jpg

Try putting the ~ before the name.

~Applegate
~Applegate siding
~Brixton
~Brixton Hill
~Eddy Stream

etc.

(Names made up for an example)

I have used the method suggested but not getting the results. I have a station with 4 tracks and
I have used A~EGMNEM1, A~EGMNEM2 etc., but the results are as shown in the image.
Can you please guide me as to where I am going wrong.
Your image isn't clear enough to see what's happening.

The rule for grouping is:
The grouping character is the tilde (~)
Any text before the grouping character is the name of the group
Any text after the grouping character is the name of the item
Items that are members of a group will be listed in a submenu under their group name.

From your example it seems that your names should be
EGMNEM~Platform 1
EGMNEM~Platform 2
etc

No JCitron, your suggestion does not work.
SailorDan hope this pic is clear enough :
Egmore.jpg

Actually in my route there are 15 stations each with 4 to 6 tracks. As of now there are more than 60 trackmarks and AI trains at times recognise the trackmarks and at times they dont. That is my
problem. I will be adding about 8 stations more which may require another 40 odd trackmarks. I am not sure whether grouping of trackmarks will help and want to give it a try.

If you see the picture SailorDan you will observe that it is not being shown as a submenu (as under a group)

What Trev999 has said is correct, except that it does not appear in the "to or via trackmark" as this lists all TM's. You need to use the "to/through trackmark list" for the list to show the group name followed by a sub menu for the platforms.

Exeter~platform 1
Plymouth~platform 4
Exeter~platform 2
Plymouth~platform 8
Exeter~platform 2A

The above will place all Exeter into one group and Plymouth into a second group. Select Exeter and a sub menu will show the platform numbers, likewise if you select Plymouth.

Last edited:
If you see the picture SailorDan you will observe that it is not being shown as a submenu (as under a group)
Unfortunately I couldn't see the image until you resized it.

The rule is as I posted. Your problem might be that the group names are too abbreviated and conflict with the automatic groupings that are created in order to keep the lists short. It depends on which comes first. Use the format I suggested and see what happens. A group name of "A" is not very informative.

What Trev999 has said is correct, except that it does not appear in the "to or via trackmark" as this lists all TM's. You need to use the "to/through trackmark list" for the list to show the group name followed by a sub menu for the platforms.

Exeter~platform 1
Plymouth~platform 4
Exeter~platform 2
Plymouth~platform 8
Exeter~platform 2A

The above will place all Exeter into one group and Plymouth into a second group. Select Exeter and a sub menu will show the platform numbers, likewise if you select Plymouth.

I tried your suggestions. When I try "to trackmark list it says "no trackmark list available" inspite of my 60 odd trackmarkers. What exactly is meant by "trackmark list" ?
Sorry for the trouble but I need a solution.

I have tried your suggestion SailorDan but no result.

I tried your suggestions. When I try "to trackmark list it says "no trackmark list available" inspite of my 60 odd trackmarkers. What exactly is meant by "trackmark list" ?
Sorry for the trouble but I need a solution.

I have tried your suggestion SailorDan but no result.

Why not use a combination of trackmarks for your 'drive via' commands and use named stations instead of a trackmark.

If you use Andi06 Invisible stations 1trk, 2trk, 4trk, 6trk and 8trk, then each platform will be a sub-heading to the station. These fit in fine with whatever platforms you are using and are height adjustable.

It's much simpler to cut out a complicated numbering system which will definitely reduce your trackmark list considerably.

Cheers,
Roy

I am back at my computer and just checked what I said earlier. I got nothing from any route in T-ane on this issue. I went back to 2010 and loaded the same route for that version and found that the naming method used should appear below the a - z list in the drive to and via option. It seems that T-ane is not doing this for some reason, maybe a bug to be sorted in the next update.

If it says list not available this could be down to T-ane as Ive had this happen on some routes. Not using trainz at present because of the various problems.

Last edited:
Why not use a combination of trackmarks for your 'drive via' commands and use named stations instead of a trackmark.

If you use Andi06 Invisible stations 1trk, 2trk, 4trk, 6trk and 8trk, then each platform will be a sub-heading to the station. These fit in fine with whatever platforms you are using and are height adjustable.

It's much simpler to cut out a complicated numbering system which will definitely reduce your trackmark list considerably.

Cheers,
Roy
I think I will do this. Thanks for the suggestion.

Because cities along the line are not alphabetical, I devised 2 lists of both Eastbound and Westbound stations on my route
Westbound:
WB A HBG Harrisburg
WB B ENO Enola
WB C LWT 1 Lewistown
WB C LWT 2 Lewistown
WB D HUNT 1 Huntingdon
WB D HUNT 2 Huntingdon
WB E TYR 1 Tyrone
WB E TYR 2 Tyrone
WB F AOO 1 Altoona
WB F AOO 2 Altoona
WB G CRN 1 Cresson
WB G CRN 2 Cresson
WB H JTWN 1 Johnstown
WB H JTWN 2 Johnstown
Eastbound:
EB A HBG Harrisburg
EB B ENO Enola
EB C LWT 3Lewistown
EB C LWT 4Lewistown
EB D HUNT 3Huntingdon
EB D HUNT 4Huntingdon
EB E TYR 3 Tyrone
EB E TYR 4 Tyrone
EB F AOO 3Altoona
EB F AOO 4Altoona
EB G CRN 3esson
EB G CRN 4esson
EB H JTWN 3Johnstown
EB H JTWN 4Johnstown
Altoona being "F", and "E" or "W" being Eastbound or Westbound, Altoona may have several subdivision dropdown trackmarkers:
WB F Works 1
WB F Works 2
WB F Works 3
WB F Works 4
WB F Works 5
WB F Works 6

EB F Slope 1
EB F Slope 2
EB F Slope 3
EB F Slope 4
EB F Slope 5
EB F Slope 6

This subdivides both Eastbound and Westbound trackmarkers, as well as making trackmarkers alphabetically arraigned, in the order they will arrive to down the line
I also rename the username line of each config file of all my favorite assets with the letter "A"so they are easy to find, at the top of my surveyor picklist:
A Signal Bridge GFisher
A UN Tower Boarded Up
A 0 6 0 PRR Switcher
A PRR Circle Boxcar

Last edited:
Thank you cascaderailroad for your suggestions. Will try this method in future. Can you please explain
how to create the lists. Are we just to create the trackmarkers as above but then how will they come under
groups Westbound and Eastbound ?

It' me again. Drive to trackmarklist uses a different grouping method where the sub-name is enclosed in square or round brackets (either will work). Depending on how you want to arrange the list use either:

EGM[NEM1]
EGM[NEM2]
EGM[SEM1]
EGM[SEM2]

or

EGNE[M1]
EGNE[M2]
EGSE[M1]
EGSE[M2]

In the first case there should be one list EGM and in the second, two lists - EGNE and EGSE.

Returning to Drive to trackmark, the command will show all trackmarks on the map. Try using:

EGNE~M1
EGNE~M2
EGSE~M1
EGSE~M2

This should result in two groups - EGNE and EGSE. I haven't tried it so no guarantees.

Thank you trev999. The first part of your message is the one I am looking for -
grouping the tackmarks so that I can use drive to trackmarklist command.
Thanks again.

Back