Question for Admin (routes on DLS)

alantaylor61

Sirs do any of you check to see what's going on the download station and can you afford to have so much space taken up with what can only be child's play. it is to my mind an insult to the very good route builders and content makers who spend many days months and even years building content for the trainz community to have it filled with blank boards with very little train stuff on it but squiggle lines going no were. For the great route builders could we have there work on CD so we can buy there routes and give something back for there hard work this is just me or are others observing this as well Thank you for your time.

Yeah I do agree that a lot of routes are just a baseboard without any textures, tracks in circle like HO trains we had when being a child, a small tree etc but the problem is that there’s so many uploads made a day that it would be almost impossible to filter junk routes

I've noticed similar but to some extent can understand it due to the way the mobile versions of Trainz work - the Download Station is often the simplest way of backing up said content if it needs to be transferred to another device as well as sharing it with other users. The other thing I consider is that not everyone is at the same standard.

Shane

The preview can be deceiving as well. In some cases, the preview can be the first thumbnail created automatically when a route is initially saved. I've noticed that with test routes, and when I have cloned other routes. The issue then is most users don't know that this image can be changed to a better one either by manually replacing the screenshot.jpg, or by setting up a new view in Surveyor and saving the image in the edit route menu option. But sadly we don't know if the route with one baseboard and squiggle of track is in fact a squiggle of track on a baseboard and not some larger route.

The other thing is mobile users don't have the local storage so the only place to save the route is on the DLS. Given that it's probably youngsters creating these "bestest, most awesome routes ever", we're going to see routes that are not of the higher standards created by more experienced route builders. With this said, it would be nice if there could be separate server and build-range for mobile routes so they don't appear in the list and clutter up the DLS with interim saves and other mobile-related content.

The other thing is mobile users don't have the local storage so the only place to save the route is on the DLS. Given that it's probably youngsters creating these "bestest, most awesome routes ever", we're going to see routes that are not of the higher standards created by more experienced route builders. With this said, it would be nice if there could be separate server and build-range for mobile routes so they don't appear in the list and clutter up the DLS with interim saves and other mobile-related content.

Agree with you on that! There are too many mobile routes on the DLS when you want to fine something really nice looking..

...Made by kids but we need a filter to hide mobile version routes, I have a tip that works almost everytime: if you see a strange description and thumbnail rotated, well avoid it

...Made by kids but we need a filter to hide mobile version routes, I have a tip that works almost everytime: if you see a strange description and thumbnail rotated, well avoid it

That would help although I don't think it's possible to do it based on trainz-build as the Mac versions use similar trainz-build numbers as well as the earliest T:ANE versions.

Shane

Don't mobile routes have. a different build number, they should have to differentiate them from PC versions.

Ken

How about a recommended list of creators/routes. And don't be shy, blow your own trumpet.
And one just did... :)

Current favourites:
Cajon Pass Xtreme
Glacier Park
Pacific West Railway
Many thanks to the creators!

Last edited:
If I'm not wrong isn't the mobile version just a lightened TRS2012 ? That's the reason for having the build 3.8

Back