History & Preservation

dericm

Michigan Trainz Routes
As a member of the Port Huron and Detroit Historical Society, I am passionate about railroad history and preservation of what remains. Locally in the Port Huron area many of the old railroad structures have been destroyed by fire, bulldozed, scrapped, and or in derelict condition, rotting away with many wanting to save it, but railroads not wanting to sell their old property for preservation as fast as we would like. Sometimes there is also help far from one's local home that one can do...

Making content for Trainz may sound funny in preservation terms, but sadly some structures once made in Trainz may not last out the next year or two due to these problems. Today in my facebook feed I was linked to this website for an 11th hour save attempt on some historic railroad history...

https://www.gofundme.com/help-save-the-la-503-friends-of

"Be a part of saving the Louisiana & Arkansas 4-6-0 #503 from imminent dismantling in Port Arthur, TX.

These funds will accomplish the purchase from the scrapper and the initial move from the park to the Texas State Railroad.

The locomotive is currently the property of the environmental remediation company contracted to conduct the "demolition". The owner of the company does not desire to see the locomotive cut up anymore than those preservationists among us.
However, he is bound by the terms of the city contract and the associated timeline.

Asbestos abatement has been completed, and this is a now or never opportunity to be a part of saving the locomotive for future display or a return to operation.

Thanks for your interest in and consideration of this project!

More on L&A/LM/KCS # 503 from the Port Arthur news:

City says little about its plans

Scrapping the train was never mentioned in any public meetings; one City Hall insider said it was discussed only in the City Council’s executive — closed to the public — session. Councilmembers could do that, he said, because the expense of scrapping the train was under $25,000, which means it could be handled administratively, away from the public’s attention.

Sister L&A 509 survives in Cookeville, TN dressed as Tennessee Central 4-6-0 # 509 at the city's depot."

All that I say is take a look at it. I cannot tell you to donate (I did) but I know if you want to help, anything would be better than nothing. Help preserve some history. I have no affiliation with this group nor can I vouch for anyone personally who are working this issue. All that I know the former director of the Steam Railroading Institute was on board supporting this and I would trust his lead.

Cheers,

Dan

I was actually about to post a similar thing myself.

The GoFundMe has been doing very good recenty. And the good news is if the engine makes it past the scrappers torch, it has an operational future at the Royal Palm Railroad Experience near Orlando.

Back