Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UK narrow boats or barges what do we have?

United States of America, Louisiana, New Orleans

Quote Originally Posted by nawlins View Post
    My Glasgow Queen St route/session has a few canals on it. Also Ian's (vulcan's) Falkirk Wheel. It uses the vulcan canal boats and also maysontaylor's pleasure boats.

If you are interested look for username nawlins on the DLS.

Cheers
    Vern, you may remember this one. It uses your TRS2004 original route (with your permission) and has been updated many times since then.

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)
    "If all else fails, read the instructions."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Thanks JP, when I've finished my current route I will check this out. Caen Hill might be a tad ambitious for a first project, but a gentler stretch of the Grand Union or even restore part of the old Thames & Severn just north of here!
    Well you've got over 2000 miles to choose from Vern. Now, I see what you mean by "self steer" having spent the last couple of hours playing with your link.
    Quite, quite different from anything seen in trainz.

That canal sim reminds me what trainz started out with all those years back, plain and simple and candidly not too true to life.
    Who ever put that Canal together should be applauded, I only hope he/she can get some sort of backing for it, as I think it has the beginings of something v.good.
    Do let me know how you get on with yur project, but I suggest you PM me as the powers that be are likely to jump on us for promoting Canals on a trainz forum.
    Cheers JP.

I suggest you PM me as the powers that be are likely to jump on us for promoting Canals on a trainz forum.
    I will watch my step though seems odd some would raise an objection to legitimate use of the software. In fact, here in the UK many stretches of railway closely parallel the canals which preceded them, as both looked for the easiest gradient and path from A to B.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

I can't imagine any of the current moderators complaining about a thread on canals. They are as valid as road traffic or aeroplanes in Trainz as they add that much more interest to routes.

Ken

> I suggest you PM me as the powers that be are likely to jump on us for promoting Canals on a trainz forum

I think the concern was Barry's talk of the Blender game engine which is no more in the latest version of Blender.

There are already some layouts with canals on them but hopefully with Vulcan's new 72 foot lock there will be more to come. I've just put up five of KotangaGirl's reskins on one barge mesh and there are another five to go on Vulcan's mesh shortly when I've finished the red tape.

We've added a fair chunk of UK canal related content in the last few months.

Cheerio John

Hi John bge back version works fine.

However not here to discuss Blender but canal barges and sailing flats of mine made with Blender which John converted are now in Trainz. B

Last edited by Barry; July 24th, 2018 at 01:49 PM.

Kingston Upon Hull, Yorkshire, United Kingdom.

Sorry to bother you John.
    I have just downloaded your "narrow boat 70 Severn & Sussex" and it is flagging <kuid:768291:100017> as unknown.

Regards Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Stationbeem View Post
    I have just downloaded your "narrow boat 70 Severn & Sussex" and it is flagging <kuid:768291:100017> as unknown.

Regards Dave.
    Version :1 in working its way through the DLS process. The cabins are now under my kuid rather than 768291 and the DLS promises they should be up within 15 hours. There are another four in the group but the version that uses Vulcan's hull is still to be uploaded.

Cheerio John

Blog Entries

Cheers John.
    I know you have been beavering away on my boats, the available content is double what it was from January '18, I'm most grateful too.
    Prior to your highly valued input into this subject there was very little. I sent Annie a link to a short video of Tay breaking ice, as there are some powerful side shots almost square on for which she expressed her delight.
    I havn't seen her finished artwork as yet but the bits I have seen look good.
    Have you set out anything on the gas boats yet?

Many thanks
    JP.

Not a lot more has happened from me in the way of input to this project JP as I've had a patch of not being very well and being too sleepy to do graphics work without making a right mess of it. The cabin artwork that John has from me are the ones you have already seen which I guess will be fine for now. When I'm more well I'll have a go at doing some upgraded cabin artwork, but I won't make any promises as to when that will be.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

Quote Originally Posted by parryjc View Post
    Cheers John.
    I know you have been beavering away on my boats, the available content is double what it was from January '18, I'm most grateful too.
    Prior to your highly valued input into this subject there was very little. I sent Annie a link to a short video of Tay breaking ice, as there are some powerful side shots almost square on for which she expressed her delight.
    I havn't seen her finished artwork as yet but the bits I have seen look good.
    Have you set out anything on the gas boats yet?

Many thanks
    JP.
    It doesn't quite work that way. The first step is to get a working hull and get the loads and tarp sorted out and that takes time. Once we have a reasonable mesh for the cabin then we have something that can be reskinned and that means the available content goes up very quickly. In this case Anne was very kind and created some reskins which you have already seen and will add variety and those are the ones that should show in the next couple of hours. Her spelling is better than mine never mind her graphics.

The same texture files can be used on three different cabins but for the moment I'll just use them on the shorter cabins so hopefully they should be available in a day or two on Vulcan's hull.

Your gas boat is on the to do list but hasn't arrived at the top yet.

Cheerio John

Quote Originally Posted by Stationbeem View Post

Regards Dave.
    The updated version is now available.

Cheerio John

Had a play around with the techniques this evening on a nice level stretch of "pound" and while there is room for refinement I grasped the basics of the relative dimensions fairly quickly. One thing I did learn is that it's better to make the cut with sections of 4 lane road than trying to use the terrain tool. My efforts with that looked more like the Panama Canal than the Kennett & Avon. I will probably need to go back and shallow the banks a little and currently contemplating how to represent the towpath. At the moment I'm coming down in favour of painted texture rather than using rather uniform looking splines. The FMA arch bridge splines also double nicely as road overbridges, if a little overscale.

The above of course, all in the interest of helping those wishing to add canals as scenic items to their Trainz railway routes. Any speculation I may be doing the process in reverse and adding a railway as scenery alongside the canal if I get to Pewsey, is exactly that!!

United States of America, Louisiana, New Orleans

Sounds like you have it licked Vern. Good tip on cutting the canal.

I'm having a go myself and was wondering how best to carve the canal for a natural effect.

Cheers
    Chris (nawlins)
    "If all else fails, read the instructions."

One challenge to come is how to do tunnels, of which there are more than a few on the network. I have an idea how to and of course it helps most canal tunnels are, by definition, straight and level. Just mid your head on the roof!