TRAINZ INFO WANTED

DESDICHATO

Hi, It has been a few years since I last used my TS-12 (mainly because the computers decided to crash), these days I am using a small laptop to do everything and anything on but would like to get back into Trainz. I am planning to update to a newer version of the software although at the moment I am not sure which version I would go for. With 12 one of my complaints was that if I wanted a narrow valley (without any additional content) it was always wide enough for three tracks has this improved? Because I have a small HDD I would like to run it from a dedicated external hard drive and I recall some "arguments" about this and because of the time since I last used trainz I wanted to know whether any advancements had been made in this field as well? Any thoughts? TIA

To get back in I think you need to look into a bigger rig. T:ANE is great but you need a modern day unit, ie, a newer gaming PC, or an Ultra Book laptop with SSD. And then there is NEXT which may come out sometime in the future. So it's like the old AutoCAD days where you have to keep up with the hardware to run the new software. somewhere in all this is Moore's Law...

I am planning to update to a newer version of the software although at the moment I am not sure which version I would go for. With 12 one of my complaints was that if I wanted a narrow valley (without any additional content) it was always wide enough for three tracks has this improved? Because I have a small HDD I would like to run it from a dedicated external hard drive and I recall some "arguments" about this and because of the time since I last used trainz I wanted to know whether any advancements had been made in this field as well? Any thoughts? TIA

If you are considering buying Tane SP2 HF1, this seems to be the best value for money package at the moment; - https://store.trainzportal.com/products/trainz-a-new-era-platinum-edition - (Note; Minimum spec's are also posted on the right hand side of this platinum - edition package page as well). I would check that your current laptop is above the minimum spec's to run Tane first.

I personally wouldn't recommend that you run any version of Trainz from a external USB 2 drive. ("Slower")... Some Trainzers are running Trainz on internal SSD drives now. ("Faster")...

As to grid sizes, some routes are now made with the smaller 5 meter grids, rather than the older larger 10 meter grids.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Back