Questions on hard drives

fourteen

The hard drive I have currently is only 500 GB and has been going bad, this Saturday trainz database crashed twice due to the HD locking up, When the HD is working everthing is verey slow loading, and been getting Hd errors now also.

I am thinking of buying a western digtal 2 terabyte drive. should I go with the 5400 or the 7200 rpm one, price looks from 66$ to 120$ Also what is the diffdernce between the green, blue, black models?

I have backed up the trainz folder to a external drive, so I should not lose anything if the old drive dies all the way, I hope.

so what one should I get and is getting a faster one worth the double the price? Thanks.

As the computer is a older HP machine, should I just get a newer machine? Don't have a lot of money to spend on one.

Last edited:
:D OK.....Here is a few links, which I think will do the trick.......Grab a piece of Paper and Pencil, and write what you have now with your computer,, vs what you can get with just hard drive replacement. VS a new computer.........

What your looking for, is the best bang for the dollar, also look at warranty time, they're not 5 yrs any longer, that is huge let down, when you need your computer to last re budget.

Hope this helps, and others will chime in with good guidance too........

http://home-computerhelp.com/how-often-should-you-upgrade-or-replace-your-computer/

https://www.google.com/search?clien...i264k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i22i30k1.0.FGdLnVzR_es

http://www.techradar.com/news/10-best-internal-desktop-and-laptop-hard-disk-drives-2016

'Blueodessey' makes a very valid point regarding when to cut your losses and start again unfortunately computers do cost money and it's not particularly prudent to spend what you haven't got. However in this instance a new hard drive seems to be essential to continue enjoying Trainz.

The ideal hard drive would be solid state, fast but costly for capacity. Alternatively a conventional either 5400 or preferred 7200 drive, relatively cheap with great capacity but similarly by today's standards also relatively slow. Alternatively the third option could be a hybrid drive, conventional drive providing good capacity but with the addition of a solid state front end providing that boost in speed when required. Admittedly hybrids are not as fast as a fully solid state drive but a sound cost/performance/capacity choice when on a budget and a drive that could be migrated to any replacement compute when finances allow. Peter

after thinking about it, and looking at all options, depending on how much money I get back on taxs, I am leaning toward this

https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...es/16425610/model/18161108/document/c05719968

A very huge step up from what I have now. and the video card is not built in a plus.

It took over 10 hours just to copy the local dir of trainz to my ext. harddrive. so the old drive is ruuning real slow still. looks as if I have to do a database repair as it looks as if most of the files on that new copy did not show up yet. Will the normal repair work or do I have to do the extended database repair?

lest this way I can still play as long as the old HD boot drive works. Gettiing the taxes done wed.

Thanks for all the ideas.

How much is that HP one selling for? And what is your budget? Looking at the specs it seems a little bit all show not much go tbh. I'm glad I bought all the parts for mine separately and assembled it myself, it saved me a lot of money and was actually quite fun and interesting to learn what did what and goes where.

Depends on how broke you are. A 5,400 drive will not be as fast to load things as a 7,200 one. It won't affect your frames per second or only marginally the video card has more impact. How full is your drive? More than 80% full can impact performance.

In general WD drives last a little longer. Newegg.com is a reasonable place to shop. Look for drives with lots of positive reviews and you'll probably end up with a WD 2T 7,200 black drive with a 5 year warranty. But note the 3 year warranty one 5,400.

A GTX 1050 TI from Newegg.com is about $200. Depending on your power supply it should just pop straight in. A GTX1060 about $300 but it draws a bit more power.

Use Belarc to spot your current GPU then compare it on tomshardware.com http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html a GTX 1050TI / GTX1060 should give you better frame rates in TANE than TS12 by the way.

Cheerio John

The price is $649.99 at best buy, it is about $ 10 cheaper at wallmart

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...dow-black-front-bezel/6145328.p?skuId=6145328

How broke am I , well only way getting anything right now is to wait for the income tax check to come, hoping I don't have to pay again like last year. I might be able to get a new hard drive if the current one does die rest of the way, hoping it will last a while yet. That 500 gb drive is about 3/4 full. I copied trainz over to my back up 260 Gb drive it has only about 20 gb left in space. After coping it over off the drive going bad it noticed I am missing a lot of files, I hope I can get them off the EXT drive that I backed up trainz the other week, if not going to take forever to download them without a FCT

The price is $649.99 at best buy, it is about $ 10 cheaper at wallmart

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-pav...dow-black-front-bezel/6145328.p?skuId=6145328

How broke am I , well only way getting anything right now is to wait for the income tax check to come, hoping I don't have to pay again like last year. I might be able to get a new hard drive if the current one does die rest of the way, hoping it will last a while yet. That 500 gb drive is about 3/4 full. I copied trainz over to my back up 260 Gb drive it has only about 20 gb left in space. After coping it over off the drive going bad it noticed I am missing a lot of files, I hope I can get them off the EXT drive that I backed up trainz the other week, if not going to take forever to download them without a FCT

My step one would be to buy an external hard drive for backup of greater than 1 terra then you can at least run windows 7 backup and get a system image. It's part of win 10. Newegg.com have a 4 terra byte external for around $100. You can run Trainz from an external hard drive it isn't perfect but with USB 3 it does work.

If you do need to replace the internal hard drive its a lot easier with system image and a boot DVD. If you don't have a DVD burner then a Lite-on external drive will cost you $25 from newegg.com. Lite on make most of the DVD drives these days so you get the latest firmware with them.

Both Walmart and bestbuy are not recommended suppliers on computers they go for the cheapest components and the when the weakest one fails you have a problem.

Cheerio John

I have a 2 tb Ext drive that I have stuff backed up on.

Doing a full database scan on the small 260 GB drive to see if it can find the missing files.

Got the taxes done today belive I getting about $ 100 dollars back lol, guess better than having to pay like last year.

Stopped by best buy today on way back home to look at what they have, well I am not impressed a lot of open space, and like maybe 10 full size computers to bye. They did not have many hard drives or video cards also. they had a whole lot of noething really just wasted space. They used to have like 3-4 aisles of computers. They did not even have the one I was thinking of buying. Might try the next one farter away this weekend and see what they have.

So now I am thinking of just getting a new hard drive to replace the main one going bad, was hoping to get more money back as wanted a new computer chair and new tires for the car. Oh well.

Back