Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substance Painter or Quixel Suite?

United States of America, New York, Staten Island

Default Substance Painter or Quixel Suite?

Which program is better for creating PBR materials:

Substance Painter that costs $20 a month or Quixel Suite that costs $80?

United States of America, Oregon, Portland

Quixel Suite appears to require Photoshop?
    Substance Painter is $149 for the 'indie' license. The full suite is $20 / month. All assuming I can read, anyway - which some days is debatable....)

Curtis

Quixel Suite Does require Photoshop. Curtis is correct on Substance painter pricing. The full suite at $20 a month gets you Substance Painter, Substance Designer, Substance B2M and Substance Player...although Substance Player is free.

Quixel Suite is good....steep learning curve. NDO is brilliant for creating and altering Normal Maps.

On the other hand, Substance Painter I believe is the better for creating full PBR textures. Yes has a steep learning curve but plenty of online tutorials for use. I have both suites, but I have only scratched the surface of what they can do.

Both packages will bake all your maps, although I feel Substance Painter does it easier.

My recommendation, go with Substance Painter.

United States of America, New York, Staten Island

Are there freeware alternatives to Substance Painter?
    Are there freeware alternatives to
    Photoshop?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    Are there freeware alternatives to Substance Painter?
    Are there freeware alternatives to
    Photoshop?
    There is nothing even close to anything resembling Substance Painter in Freeware. The closet thing to PhotoShop is Gimp but it comes a pretty poor second.

Blog Entries

Have been playing with Quixel the last few days. Will be having a look at Substance Painter afterward.

NDo definitely makes normals mapping far easier than making a height map in photoshop and then feeding it into the NVidia Normals Map Generator plugin. That said, I can see a use for both depending on how you are doing the textures.

DDo is very interesting. For the majority of Trainz stuff, you'll be manually making materials (rather than using smart materials); and doing a lot of masking. But with a bit of practice it looks like it could be an extremely effective and efficient texturing tool. Being able to paint directly onto the 3D model is absolutely fantastic! Will make weathering very interesting, at least for some effects!

The one thing you MUST do is think of how the real thing is 'made'. So for example if you are working on a texture for a gondola wagon, your first layer would be some sort of 'steel' layer. On top of this you then add a 'paint' layer, and then add scratches that *remove* paint to reveal the steel below (like the real thing!). You can then add other layers on top for stuff like rust, etc, which /don't/ reveal the steel below, but are still marks on the paint layer.

From what I've been reading, the main downside for Quixel is the limited range of pre-made textures available. Substance Painter seems to have a more flexible range of textures, and a more flexible material system, but until I actually get a chance to try it I can't say for certain.

Quixel is also a photoshop plugin, not a stand-alone tool. However this does give the advantage of actually allowing you to work on textures both in NDo/DDo/3Do, and in photoshop itself (using all of your available photoshop tools, including any other plugins you might have). These days a photoshop CC subscription is relatively affordable these days (About $30/month, depending on what plan you go for), compared to the old full licenses :O

Both appear to have quite a learning curve though, just in different ways. Both are very much valid texturing tools for PBR (and non PBR!) materials.

One thing you will need to do is to play with how they setup materials (i.e. which parameters/etc are used) to ensure they are setup correctly for Trainz.

Regards
    Zec
    Zec Murphy

Customer Support Rep
    N3V Games (Auran)

*Please do not use Private Messages for support. Support can only be provided via the helpdesk, or via the forums.

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

I have had Quixel for some years and never got the hang of DDO, did get it some but the new update 2.3.2 is not working, no mesh. NDO is good but the tools I would like to use from Photoshop do not work in NDO. The pre-made textures I found useless size is 8k, got one on my Alco PA1 and it looked like an HO model, they all look made for small things used close up.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    I have had Quixel for some years and never got the hang of DDO, did get it some but the new update 2.3.2 is not working, no mesh. NDO is good but the tools I would like to use from Photoshop do not work in NDO. The pre-made textures I found useless size is 8k, got one on my Alco PA1 and it looked like an HO model, they all look made for small things used close up.
    The version of the Quixel Suite you have requires PhotoShop 5 and above. Or the latest version on a monthly plan.

Substance Painter cost $149 USD for a permanent Indie lic, steep learning curve but I feel it is better than DDO for textures. Much easier to bake all maps from.

Blog Entries

I have CS 6.

I have CS 6.
    I have PhotoShop CC....latest version of Quixel works fine for me

Blog Entries

I ran the tutorial for Substance Painter yesterday and it look a lot nicer than Quixel. The problem with both is they use a 2048x2048 texture on something the size of a brick.

Blog Entries

I ran the tutorial for Substance Painter yesterday and it look a lot nicer than Quixel. The problem with both is they use a 2048x2048 texture on something the size of a brick.
    You can resize it any time and export in a different size.

Paul

Spend far to much time looking for stuff on the Net, just found this, it's very new and Extremely cheap at 19 Euros.

PBR Texture Painting

ArmorPaint is an in-development stand-alone tool fully specialized in physically based texture painting of 3D models. Import desired geometry and start painting right away. A modern viewport provides instant visual feedback as you paint.

ArmorPaint is a texturing companion ready to work with PBR-capable engines such as Armory, Unreal, Unity, Cycles..

http://armorpaint.org/

https://armory.itch.io/armorpaint

Would one of you who know what you are doing have a look at it?
    Malc

Blog Entries

The thing is you have fine detail on a brick at 2048x2048 but if you put that on a 10x40x15 foot boxcar the fine detail is then large and chunky. It comes down to number of pixels per foot of mesh and the fact that the cameras in Trainz are 10' to 20' most of the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Spend far to much time looking for stuff on the Net, just found this, it's very new and Extremely cheap at 19 Euros.

http://armorpaint.org/

https://armory.itch.io/armorpaint

Would one of you who know what you are doing have a look at it?
    Not sure if I qualify but I did have a look.

The first reminds me of two paint addons for Blender: ZeroBrush and BPainter. I've spent a couple of years trying to use ZeroBrush but have never used it in Cycles mode. Armorpaint appears to be very early in development and doesn't support layers or masking although they are planned. Masking, layers and generators (textures/grunge/etc) are a major feature of Substance Painter. Armourpaint is a separate application to Blender and requires an OBJ format input.

Most importantly, there is no indication that you can combine information to form the RGBA channels of the N3V parameter texture. I don't think ZeroBrush does that either but I'll have a look later.

I don't have a copy of BPainter but it looks similar to ZeroBrush and appears to have an easier interface.

The Armory product is a 3D game engine. As such, I doubt if it is much use to us for Trainz purposes.

Paul