Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substance Painter or Quixel Suite?

Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    The thing is you have fine detail on a brick at 2048x2048 but if you put that on a 10x40x15 foot boxcar the fine detail is then large and chunky. It comes down to number of pixels per foot of mesh and the fact that the cameras in Trainz are 10' to 20' most of the time.
    Not sure about bricks, but for other textures it provides a scale option for the texture.

The biggest thing here is how you map the object, and then using the tools provided to adjust the textures to fit the object. You do need to put in as much effort for Quixel as you would in photoshop, but it saves you time in weathering (to a degree) and in making the parameters texture and normals texture (to a BIG degree!).

If it only did what you are saying, it would be a totally useless program for 3D artists. But it doesn't, it provides controls for texture scale, etc, allowing you to adjust this to match your mesh. It'll scale the output to what ever size you want (2k, 4k, and 8k are the main sizes), but the only difference between these will be the clarity of the output, not the size of the textures being added. But, this very much relies of good texture mapping and using the controls/tools provided to the best effect.

There are some tutorials or demonstrations on Quixel's website, including two of a tank wagon (using 4k textures for rendering purposes, but again that can be scaled down to 2k for Trainz, and your mapping should be used to provided the best resolution on the high detail parts...): https://quixel.se/tutorials/

Regards
    Zec

Zecrail DLS Content
    All comments are my own unless otherwise stated.

Blog Entries

I use Quixel. started some time early 2017. Not only has it improved quality dramatically it can be configured to output pbr textures for Trainz. It definitely has a learning curve, but it is worth it. whitepass unfortunately didn't make it very far on that curve which is likely why his negative view on it. You have to stick with something like Quixel to learn it and be effective at using it. I feel like there is still tons I could learn in there but making my own masks and materials has made skinning trains a lot of fun and rewarding in the end. I also like painting directly on the 3d models in photoshop - it cant be beat for weathering.

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Quixel is buggy and there help pages have an error so no photos show. I am testing Substance Painter and so far it is a lot better, Blender mesh's import, can export to Photoshop, and much better docs.

Blog Entries

Quixel is buggy...
    This sounds like a subjective opinion to me. I have never had any issue with it so in my opinion it is not buggy. It has never crashed photoshop or caused any errors for me.

...and there help pages have an error so no photos show.
    That may be true today but it hasn't always been like that and I am sure someone will be along to fix it. The representatives are very responsive and there is a good facebook group that answers most things almost immediately.

I guess in the end the results matter, and so far in this thread you have only misinformed and been dismissive of something when it is only apparent you do not know how to use it. It is okay to like another platform but really why put one down with no basis? Why not let others look at the options (and results!) and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolksouthern37 View Post
    This sounds like a subjective opinion to me. I have never had any issue with it so in my opinion it is not buggy. It has never crashed photoshop or caused any errors for me.

That may be true today but it hasn't always been like that and I am sure someone will be along to fix it. The representatives are very responsive and there is a good facebook group that answers most things almost immediately.

I guess in the end the results matter, and so far in this thread you have only misinformed and been dismissive of something when it is only apparent you do not know how to use it. It is okay to like another platform but really why put one down with no basis? Why not let others look at the options (and results!) and decide.
    Quixel is very good with normal map production and changes, it's one stand item is the ability to paint on surfaces in real-time but it's texture sets can be limited.

On the other hand, Substance Painter is more powerful in the texture area, much easier to bake maps from although you have to use substance player to assemble all the individual maps into a single set which just contains the albedo, normal, parameter textures.

Substance Designer is way better at designing custom textures than Quixel in IMHO.

Quixel integrates very nicely with PhotoShop. And Substance Painter maps can easily be imported into PhotoShop.

I have both programs and use both now depending on what I want to do. Yes, both packages have an intense learning curve, just as Max does....but it is well worth the effort to learn. I have a long way to go to really use the full power of either program.

I have not found any real bugs in using either software package and have lic for both of them. Both packages excel at PBR texture creation and both can produce non-PBR textures fro use in build 4.5 or earlier of trainz.
    Last edited by gawpo50; February 27th, 2018 at 05:57 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, we don't have a new version of TrainzDev to play with yet but there is a new version of Substance Painter out. So I will go play with that instead.

Paul

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Downloaded it yesterday, new UI with bigger text size and you can drag'n'drop a material on to the mesh.