Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond1964 View Post
    Speaking of Speedtrees, that bring me to another thought I had. Why make a route project at all? It would seem that different people possess different specialty content. Some folks make Speedtrees, some make steam locomotives, some make re-paints, some make bridges. The more you make them the better you get with it. Add a personal special interest with your modeling skills and you've found your own special niche. While my exact niche hasn't really been found as of yet, I do like making everyday scenery items. These are items that don't get much thought, but make a screenshot come alive. I enjoy seeing people posting screenshots with my content in it. I'm seeing my content pop up more and more in the screenshot section. So I ask myself, why not just continue make scenery items?

One item I would really enjoy making are American cars. Modeling cars from 1955 to 1970. I really like the era of cars from the late 50's early 60's. If I could figure out a quicker way of making cars in Blender I'd probably spend the bulk of my time pumping out model cars and trucks over anything else. After testing many ways to make a car in Blender, I found that it either takes to long to create and/or the model is far over the maximum poly count. I know it can be done, I just haven't figure out the trick to it...yet!

The 60's could definitely use more cars and trucks. Even the 50's are missing a lot of major pieces. More cars is good.

Quote Originally Posted by anathoth71 View Post
    What about a major self-challenge such as DEMing a large section of ground from somewhere on the Earth, inventing a reason that a railroad might need to be built, and testing your own knowledge and abilities by designing the railroad to fit that purpose? Then try it out operationally in Trainz.

For example, what if China decided to extend it's Lhasa-Shigatse railroad south to Khatmandu in Nepal, across the Himalayas? What about a Bering Strait railroad crossing, which has been spoken of half jokingly for decades but never acted upon. If you are a person who likes a difficult challenge, can you set yourself one? This would meet your current inclination to do something fictional too.
    Now that is a neat idea I never thought of before. I must give it some thought!
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by jordon412 View Post
    EDIT: Did you ever notice the painting hanging over the fireplace in the Taylor house on The Andy Griffith Show? My mom bought a replica of it and it hangs in the living room, just like in the Taylor household. However, it hangs over my computer instead of the fireplace, as a big-screen plasma TV sits on top of the fireplace mantle.
    I watched that show hundreds of time but never noticed the painting...I'll need to keep an eye out for that.
    From what I see in your post, you have the nostalgia bug as well.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    The 60's could definitely use more cars and trucks. Even the 50's are missing a lot of major pieces. More cars is good.
    Perhaps I will re-visit car making in Blender. Those old cars and truck are a major factor in those era themed routes.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Perhaps I will re-visit car making in Blender. Those old cars and truck are a major factor in those era themed routes.
    I did some research into making lower poly 3D car models. The good news is…After watching some Blender car making video tutorials I feel that I’m more then experienced enough at this point to get the job done. Now for the bad news. In order for me to make these 3D models I’ll need blueprints of that car. At the very least I’ll need pictures of the car taken from the side, front, back and top. Now while there are some blueprint sites out there, there is not nearly enough blueprint material of the era of cars I want to model. This is probably the same reason why you seen no car models from the 1930 and 1940’s, the reference material is simply not there. You would think that in the age of the internet the information would be available. The only way I seeing this happen is by become a car show nut. With camera in hand, going from car show to car show, taking pictures of the cars I want to model. Even then I won’t be able to get a top view pictures of the cars. The question then becomes -is it all worth it? From my perspective, no not really. So for right now this idea will be shelved.
    Last edited by BlackDiamond1964; February 11th, 2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

I did some research into making lower poly 3D car models. The good news is…After watching some Blender car making video tutorials I feel that I’m more then experienced enough at this point to get the job done. Now for the bad news. In order for me to make these 3D models I’ll need blueprints of that car. At the very least I’ll need pictures of the car taken from the side, front, back and top. Now while there are some blueprint sites out there, there is not nearly enough blueprint material of the era of cars I want to model. This is probably the same reason why you seen no car models from the 1930 and 1940’s, the reference material is simply not there. You would think that in the age of the internet the information would be available. The only way I seeing this happen is by become a car show nut. With camera in hand, going from car show to car show, taking pictures of the cars I want to model. Even then I won’t be able to get a top view pictures of the cars. The question then becomes -is it all worth it? From my perspective, no not really. So for right now this idea will be shelved.
    Found this within a minute
    http://www.motormayhem.net/model-a-f...pecifications/
    multiple plans and dimensions of ford A's from 1931
    perhaps this is the reason why we have lots of model A ford models in trainz and little else :-).
    if you join pinterest and type in 1930 car plans you will find many, I've found a 1937 Chevrolet truck and a number of others, no doubt there are a lot more from the 50s https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/599330662883195447/visual-search/?x=16&y=16&w=530&h=671

this 1937 mack truck is pretty good too there are masses of items here http://drawingdatabase.com/mack-jr-model-2m-1937/
    bluesprints galore here from the 20s to modern day
    https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/trucks/mack/

its out there if you know how to find it, unfortunately pinterest seems to have captured much of the net images , and sometimes its hard to find the actual image, but it can be done if you persevere and its much less arduous than going to car shows. although probably less fun :-)
    i'll see if i can find some more , if i do i might make a separate thread for potential builders to find plans for cars and trucks to model
    Last edited by dangavel; February 11th, 2018 at 09:21 PM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

There are blueprints out there. Many of those blueprints contain only one or two views. The problem is you need 4 views...side, top, front and back to make a complete render. This is due to the curves of the vehicle. I supposed a more seasoned modeler could get away with three views, but since I'm starting out I would need all four. The word "blueprints" doesn't actually mean actual blueprints in this case. It's a set of smaller pictures from different views on one bigger picture. If host then post was working I'd post an example.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Well Scott I don't live in Ireland north or south and stay here in Gt Britain (Scotland to be exact) but decided to have a go at building over the Irish Sea. It depends on how strict you set yourself although I will say the dashed project is taking long because I want places to look what they are! I have built the six lines in the North and am doing a main line over the Border and two lines off it all the way to Dublin. Have a look at my Trainz site but I would suggest when searching for it you do it through MSM as for some odd reason the site wasn't showing properly in other ways.....

www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
    Well Scott I don't live in Ireland north or south and stay here in Gt Britain (Scotland to be exact) but decided to have a go at building over the Irish Sea. It depends on how strict you set yourself although I will say the dashed project is taking long because I want places to look what they are! I have built the six lines in the North and am doing a main line over the Border and two lines off it all the way to Dublin. Have a look at my Trainz site but I would suggest when searching for it you do it through MSM as for some odd reason the site wasn't showing properly in other ways.....

www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com

Bobby
    How historically correct are those routes?
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Quote Originally Posted by anathoth71 View Post
    What about a major self-challenge such as DEMing a large section of ground from somewhere on the Earth, inventing a reason that a railroad might need to be built, and testing your own knowledge and abilities by designing the railroad to fit that purpose? Then try it out operationally in Trainz.
    My attempts to create a route are quite crude compared to what others have shared, so I consider myself a novice at Trainz. I'm even worse at Blender. I did run across a challenge when running rails up a canyon in a DEM, that historically never had rails. One section of the canyon was too steep to get any workable grade. I gave up.

Thinking about it later, I recalled that some of the most unique sections of railroads are where they had to do something unusual to alleviate a steep grade. The Tehachapi Loop is a mild example. Canada's Spiral Tunnels are a more extreme example. I'm not very good at making graceful curves, so I didn't re-visit the challenge, but it was interesting to see that uncooperative canyon in a different light.

Getting a little closer to the original topic, it amazes me how much there is to learn and do to create a really nice route. It is hard for me to imagine how someone who has mastered nearly all parts of the process would feel.

Still, is there any part of the process that you enjoy the most? Perhaps you can find a way to spend more time in that area. (I guess this isn't much help. Sorry.)
    -Dave
    Trainz 2004, 2006, TC1, 2009, 2012 and T:ANE SP2 on ASUS laptop i7-4500U CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GT745M.

Quote Originally Posted by OddRails View Post
    Still, is there any part of the process that you enjoy the most? Perhaps you can find a way to spend more time in that area.
    Even though I dismissed the car (automobile) creation in an earlier post, It's seems to be stuck in my head for some reason. I can't help but think that once I get into it, I may like it. Still pondering on it.

I wouldn't mind taking a shot at making Speedtrees, but I know nothing about trees. I know what a maple tree looks like...and I know what a birch tree looks like. Beyond that I'm lost.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Thinking about a model railroad type of Trainz layout, What would a route creator look for in a model railroad design? I need some thoughts and theories. What to model? How much to model? How many tracks? How big should the layout be scaled to?
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop

Scott,

Firstly regarding my large Irish project it is modern and based on the present. Northern Ireland was the worst part of the UK for losing passenger rail and I decided on a Trainz boost!The 6 routes I have built on the ulster side of the Border are as they are right now. I even flew over to Belfast and bought a railway runabout ticket. Just muse - I flew from Glasgow because o fa a Trainz project staying in a Belfast city centre hotel as a base. My two routes over the Border Irish Rail is an even bigger challenge yet again. Doing slow scenery all the way to Dublin and added one of two routes off that service of the Enterprise Express.With the odd train seen it is a fairly obvious modern thing and i am trying to get away from too much detail slowing me up! So in the end I will have 8 routes on the Emerald Isle for the NIR and IR. My only doubt i the Bavan branch in the South off the main line as it is limited goods only but we will see once i am done.

I just hope I have not got like Caesar and got too ambitious but spent many holidays in Ulster and decided i would have a bash. So all going well in my ambition in central Dublin there is an opportunity for extensions elsewhere if people in the mind for it but everything is modern!

Regards from the great city of Glasgow.

Bobby

United States of America, Washington State, Tacoma Area

Specking of cars (autos) or trucks. There are no cars in Trainz that date from 1910 to 1930's. The early years are so forgotten.

Like that.
    Don49plm

Quote Originally Posted by DON49PLM View Post
    Specking of cars (autos) or trucks. There are no cars in Trainz that date from 1910 to 1930's. The early years are so forgotten.

Like that.
    It's my guess that there is a lack of good reference pictures/blueprint picture setup for this era. I wouldn't rule any thing out. However, I'm still looking into the car making idea. My favorite era of cars is the "rocket fender" era of the late 50's early 60's. The American car manufacturing companies out done themselves in that era.
    Scott
    BlackDiamond1964
    BDWorkshop