Could any of the following machines run TANE maxed out with consistent 60 FPS?

JonMyrlennBailey

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPow...Drive-Monitor-Not-Included/54655555#read-more

CyberPowerPC Gamer Ultra GUA3120W Gaming Desktop PC with AMD FX-4300 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive

Key Features and Benefits:
  • AMD FX-4300 processor
    3.80GHz (with Max Turbo Speed of 4.00GHz), 4MB L3 Cache
  • 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 1TB SATA hard drive
    Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more
  • 24x DVD+/-RW dual-layer SuperMulti Drive
    Watch movies and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet
  • AMD Radeon R7 250 Graphics
    With 2GB of dedicated graphics memory

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CYBERPOW...ategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=Tzsp32-a8Yk-CwJUM2SmSs

CYBERPOWERPC Gamer Master GMA2600W Gaming Desktop PC with AMD Ryzen 5 1400 Processor, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive and Windows 10 Home

Key Features and Benefits:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 1400 quad-core processor
    3.20GHz (with Max Turbo Speed of 3.40GHz), 8MB L3 Cache
  • 8GB DDR4 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 32GB)
    Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work
  • 1TB SATA hard drive
    Store 666,000 photos, 285,000 songs or 526 hours of HD video and more
  • 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
    Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 Graphics
    With 2GB dedicated graphics memory

CPU is alright, Ram might want to throw another 8gb+ in. 16gb total is suitable, more the better. might want to look at a 2tb hard drive or snag a ssd as a boot drive - 2tb hard drive to store content files.

my best best guess for 60fps for a GPU would be..
GTX 1060 - Low-Mid settings - $399
GTX 1070 - Mid-High settings - $800
GTX 1080 - High - Ultra settings - $1500

Due to the cryptocurrency miners going nuts over graphics cards, prices are nearly 2x the price at what their normally at. So I'd wait a bit for prices to come back down to normal, unless you have the money to spend that much if it's something urgent. In the end might want to look at building your own rig, It will be a lot cheaper to build it instead of having a manufacturer do it.

Hope this helps, someone else might enlighten you a bit more on some ideas.

Cheers,
-Andrew

Probably not.

To achieve 60 fps you need something like a GTX 1080ti which costs about $1300 by itself. The CPU is not particularly important.

Currently because of the bit coining craze GPUs are very expensive or about twice their normal price.

Walmart offers the lowest cost but in a computer you want reliability not the lowest cost. For example memory is tested at a certain speed if it fails then its gets sold as being a lower speed module. Some companies buy up this lower cost memory then retest it. Some of it passes the second time round well yes but do you really want memory modules that have failed once?

For your budget $600 I'm not sure its possible. The minimum I'd suggest is a GTX 1050 and even then I'd look more towards the GTX 1050TI. It will give reasonable frame rates on most layouts.

I'd suggest you look at Newegg.com for gaming PCs, then search on price and GTX1000 and see what you come up with.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Cheerio John

What is the biggest bang for the buck on a PC, whether boxed or home-built, that will allow TANE to look and perform its very best on 3D-scenery-rich routes still with all settings maxed out even with reasonable frame rates if not at 60 fps all the time?

I understand PC manufacturers get components, even top-drawer gaming ones, cheaper than for what the home-builder can get them. The trouble is, they often also throw in "cool-factor" fancy lit-up cases that are non-essential to game performance. I want look at how smoothly my diesel engines are gliding along the tracks in line-side view, hopefully, without a hint of stutter, not flashing light shows on the tower.

There's this $650 HP Pavilion gaming deal at amazon.com w/ an included DVD, Intel Core i5-7400 (TURBO BOOST!!!, DUDE!!!) and NVIDIA GTX 1060 graphics! Some customers say it rivals $1,500-$2,000 rigs in gaming performance. Could this be the biggest "Trainz" rig bang for the buck?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077RX4RKD/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Is Trainz a "AAA" game?

Last edited:
What is the biggest bang for the buck on a PC, whether boxed or home-built, that will allow TANE to look and perform its very best on 3D-scenery-rich routes still with all settings maxed out even with reasonable frame rates if not at 60 fps all the time?

I understand PC manufacturers get components, even top-drawer gaming ones, cheaper than for what the home-builder can get them. The trouble is, they often also throw in "cool-factor" fancy lit-up cases that are non-essential to game performance. I want look at how smoothly my diesel engines are gliding along the tracks in line-side view, hopefully, without a hint of stutter, not flashing light shows on the tower.

The biggest bang for the buck is a GTX 1050TI based system. Newegg.com has one for $699. Unfortunately it does have flashing lights but it looks like a clearance after Christmas to me.

Actually an i5 with a 630 GPU isn't bad. It's certainly got more GPU processing power than a GT730. Dell have one for $599 with 10% off today.

The alternative might be to just upgrade your video card. Should be a lot cheaper than a new machine. Remember CPUs run cooler under TANE than they did under TS12 so they aren't so important.

Cheerio John

I still plan to run TS12 too, sometimes, as well as my Flight Sim from Microsoft. Only vehicle sim games for me, not fast-action arcade shoot-em-ups.

I still want a separate gaming PC for my living room while my "regular" tower resides under my home office desk.

The Newegg machine sounds like a better deal for about $50 more but its abs brand machine got bad reviews, junk.

Here is a CP from amazon for just under $650 w/ 1050Ti graphics: temporally out of stock with nothing but 4 and 5 stars.

AMD FX series processor: no Intel Inside, but 3.8 clock and a DVD even included.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC...=gaming+pc+1050Ti&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Last edited:
I still plan to run TS12 too, sometimes, as well as my Flight Sim from Microsoft. Only vehicle sim games for me, not fast-action arcade shoot-em-ups.

I still want a separate gaming PC for my living room while my "regular" tower resides under my home office desk.

The Newegg machine sounds like a better deal for about $50 more but its abs brand machine got bad reviews, junk.

Here is a CP from amazon for just under $650 w/ 1050Ti graphics: temporally out of stock with nothing but 4 and 5 stars.

AMD FX series processor: no Intel Inside, but 3.8 clock and a DVD even included.

https://www.amazon.com/CYBERPOWERPC...=gaming+pc+1050Ti&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Sounds reasonable provided they hold the price.

Cheerio John

Actually, the GTX 1060 is a better card than the GTX 1050Ti, as some reviews claim smoother game play and less stutter though the 1060 has only 3 GB VRAM vs 4 GB of the 1050Ti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-zXJJz05Co

But what's the most VRAM TANE can actually USE on a 60 Hz monitor or HD TV with 1080p?

There are two flavours of GTX 1060 one with 3 gigs of memory and one with 6 gigs. Realistically by the time TANE uses a texture compression that compresses to about 25% of the original size you're unlikely to run out of GPU RAM if you have more than 2 gigs. However having more means less data needs to transfer to the GPU with less you throw more things away so there is a performance benefit. There is a slight difference in the bandwidth to transfer files into and out of the GPU but I don't think you'll see much difference between the two GTX 1060 cards.

The GTX1050 TI draws only 75 watts so can be fed through the PCI-e slot the GTX 1060 draws more power and you're starting to get into bitcoin mining territory so the performance per dollar is lower. Having said that I run a GTX 980 which is roughly a GTX 1060 and I think that really TANE is a good fit on it.

Cheerio John

The more vram the better , if you want to future proof for a year or two ,at least 4gb i'd say , but a 6gb gtx or 8gb rx580s are really the way to go, the problem is as stated virtual coin mining, I'm after a rx580 sapphire pulse 8gbm, because that has native mac drivers, but if i could find one, its at a vastly inflated price . i'd wait for a bit until the demand is lower .
2gb cards are now a waste of time to run TANE decently unless you drop a lot settings

Is TANE likely to stutter with the [4 GB] GTX 1050Ti with settings maxed out and 3D scenery galore?

Is VRAM everything to Trainz performance?

I am on a budget right now but graphics cards can be easily swapped out in the future.

Right now GTX 1050Ti is stupid cheap (when purchased included on a budget gaming machine, more expensive purchased alone) for any 4 GB card.

If Trainz will run smoother on the less expensive but more VRAM-capacious 1050Ti then who needs a very pricey 980 or somewhat pricey 1060?

On my current home-built desktop of 9 years, I have an AMD Athlon II 620 x 4 at 2.6 Ghz clock. I have heard anything under 3.0 Ghz can be a bottle neck in gaming these days.
Don't know if this CPU is overclockable or even worth the risk.

This PC is now down with new parts on order from amazon.com: a new fully-modular EVGA 450 Watt PSU, bronze-rated, new Gigabyte mini-ATX motherboard with AM3+ socket and AMD chipset, new 120 mm Arctic case fan w/ PWM (the old "dumb" fan ran at a constant speed off the PSU and got noisy with old age) and Warmstor front panel LED/switch kit to overhaul this ATX mid tower of mine. The old Gigabyte mobo died and the old Earthwatts 380 PSU has a bad 24-pin mobo connector pin and sloppy non-modular cables though it passed the pin-out multi-meter test.

My new PSU with an upgrade to 450 watts should easily handle the modest-power 75-watt GTX 1050Ti, but I fear the old 2009-vintage AMD Athlon II will slow it down in Trainz rendering performance.

My current video card is a meager XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 AMD Radeon HD 7770, 1 GB VRAM 128-Bit GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 x16, HDCP Ready, CrossFireX Support Video Card

• 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1000 MHz
  • 2 x DVI (1 Single Link, 1 Dual Link) DVI 1 x HDMI HDMI 1 x Display Port
  • 640 Stream Processors
  • PCI Express 3.0 x16
  • Ghost thermal technology
  • single fan in card

Purchased new as a "mid-grade" "gaming card" from amazon.com in 2013 for $105 w/ shipping included. I have had frame rates as low as 4 to 5 fps in TS12 running near route parts heavily populated w/ 3D scenery objects. Great card for emails, web browsing, typing Word docs and even YouTube streaming.....but for Trainz? leaves much to be desired.

Gaming card? Solitaire, maybe, but certainly no Trainzing card!
But the new 450 W power supply might make this lower-end card perform at its full potential anyway.
I might have been missing something with only 380 watts on tap all along.

I have 8 GB of Corsair RAM on board to boot (no pun intended).

I also have a fairly-new 1 TB WD hard drive, no, not a solid-state one.

Last edited:
Is TANE likely to stutter with the [4 GB] GTX 1050Ti with settings maxed out and 3D scenery galore?

I am on a budget right now but graphics cards can be easily swapped out in the future.

Right now GTX 1050Ti is stupid cheap (when purchased included on a budget gaming machine, more expensive purchased alone) for any 4 GB card.

If Trainz will run smoother on the less expensive but more VRAM-capacious 1050Ti then who needs a very pricey 980 or somewhat pricey 1060?

On my current home-built desktop of 9 years, I have an AMD Athlon II 620 x 4 at 2.6 Ghz clock. I have heard anything under 3.0 Ghz can be a bottle neck in gaming these days.

This PC is now down with new parts on order from amazon.com: a new fully-modular EVGA 450 Watt PSU, bronze-rated, new Gigabyte mini-ATX motherboard with AM3+ socket and AMD chipset, new 120 mm Arctic case fan w/ PWM (the old "dumb" fan ran at a constant speed off the PSU and got noisy with old age) and Warmstor front panel LED/switch kit to overhaul this ATX mid tower of mine. The old Gigabyte mobo died and the old Earthwatts 380 PSU has a bad 24-pin mobo connector pin and sloppy non-modular cables though it passed the pin-out multi-meter test.

My new PSU with an upgrade to 450 watts should easily handle the modest-power 75-watt GTX 1050Ti, but I fear the old 2009-vintage AMD Athlon II will slow it down in Trainz rendering performance.

My current video card is a meager XFX CORE Edition FX-777A-ZNF4 AMD Radeon HD 7770, 1 GB VRAM 128-Bit GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0 x16, HDCP Ready, CrossFireX Support Video Card

• 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1000 MHz
  • 640 Stream Processors
  • PCI Express 3.0 x16
  • single fan in card

Purchased new as a "mid-grade" "gaming card" from amazon.com in 2013 for $105 w/ shipping included. I have had frame rates as low as 4 to 5 fps in TS12 running near route parts heavily populated w/ 3D scenery objects. Great card for emails, web browsing, typing Word docs and even YouTube streaming.....but for Trainz? leaves much to be desired.

But the new 450 W power supply might make this lower-end card perform at its full potential anyway.

mixing new cards with old cpu's is often not all thst useful, I bought a gtx 970 with 4gb vram and stuck it in a 6 core mac pro 3.3 ghz with 16gb ram , ssd , but a 2010 machine , it booted up in 11 secs when first installed, BUT it ran TANE like a snail , worse than the gb radeon 5770 that came with the machine, something was causing a bottleneck ( as well as mac osx crappy way of working with open gl ) as it worked well with all other apps.of coruse this may not apply to windows as you can utilize direct x .
gtx 1050 is ok card, when maxed out with vram, but i doubt it will give you top perfromance on high settings.have you considered a second hand card? prices are high but occasionally you get one like this

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NVIDIA-...521000&hash=item3d58aa8484:g:~1UAAOSwuQxaeTHO

it scores better than the 1050 https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/ind...eForce GTX 1050-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB

I wouldn't trust buying a used card from a private seller. I am even gun-shy about buying refurbished stuff from computer dealers.

I want full warranty protection and even a protection plan on multi-hundred-dollar electronics stuff.

Certainly, a brand-new 1050 Ti will beat the hell out of whatever card is in my PC right now especially when stock in a "Walmart Special" boxed CyberPower gaming PC.

Remember a 1050 Ti is still a little more souped up from a 1050 (sans Ti).

Last edited:

• 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5
  • Core Clock 1000 MHz
  • 640 Stream Processors
  • PCI Express 3.0 x16
  • single fan in card

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html says your current GPU is about the same as a top of the line Intel integrated graphics card.

The CPU is a little bit on the lower end as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

Cheerio John

Which is why my best bet is a new dedicated gaming PC.

I never expected a 10-year-old AMD Athlon II to be "gaming material".

Rather than the expense of gutting out my old tower completely for all new hardware, a new
boxed gaming outfit seems a better buy in the long haul. My old tower with a few new parts will remain just that....
a home-office desktop, not a living-room gamer sitting beside the big-screen Samsung SmartTV.

I am using my laptop for now until my home-office tower can get back up and running again. Waiting on on-line parts
shipment...tick tock....

Last edited:
Back