Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greetings, and a few questions

Funnily enough this morning I was looking through the original Plans For Larger Layouts. There's one in particular, a 14' x 9' continuous run but with another of CJF's trademarks - the through terminus station. Also has a buried return loop which does a Stratford (East London) Central style climb out under the platform of the through station! Might scan it and take a look.

One thing we could do with though for model railways is some fixed track double and single slip points plus diamond crossings that all adapt to the track spline connected to them. Or maybe TS2018 will extend the functionality of Protrack to include diamond crossings with the relevant upgrades to the signalling logic. I know there are ATLS style workarounds to diamonds in particular but we need some compact fittings to sit with the constrained - even when expanded - these plans sit in.
    TANE...Resistance Is Futile

And I've just been looking through a very random pile of old RMs which lead me to suggest that other sources of inspiration for virtual model railway enthusiasts in the UK might be the station plans and signal box diagroms which used to be published, for example:

July 1974 Kirby Lonsdale (Station plan)
    August 1974 Pool-in-Wharfedale (SP)
    September 1974 Talacre (SP)
    February 1975 Grayrigg (SP)
    May 1971 Dorchester South (Signal box diagram)
    December 1970 Heathfield (SBD)
    December 1971 Pensford & Bromley Colliery (SBD)
    January 1971 Eggesford (SBD)
    February 1971 Newton Tony Junction (SBD)
    June 1971 Hampton Court (SBD)

Well, I said this was a random selection! I must sort all my RMs into year groups ...

Hampton Court especially appeals to me as it is a three-platform terminus with only one platform in use during the day but all three at peak commuter times. and would fit nicely along one wall of the model railway room leading (perhaps temporarily) to a fiddle yard or return loop - and later maybe to another terminus. I may have a go!

I agree with your comments, Vern, about set track assets which would be useful. I only wish I had the skill to make them.

Ray
    Last edited by ray_whiley; February 15th, 2018 at 09:51 AM.
    Dukes Denver Designs (Ray Whiley - Textures and 3d Virtual Models for TRAINZ).
    Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works

Well if you discover the one with the North Woolwich line, let me know as I think that would make an excellent diorama style route. The prototype would too, but the prospect of tackling Stratford High Level which would be necessary as a scenic backdrop to the low level branch line, is too daunting!
    Last edited by Vern; February 16th, 2018 at 09:17 AM.
    TANE...Resistance Is Futile

Vern - I will, but can't guarantee how soon it will happen!!

Ray
    Dukes Denver Designs (Ray Whiley - Textures and 3d Virtual Models for TRAINZ).
    Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works