Regions and Eras in Surveyor and Config.txt

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
I have a couple questions about the regions and eras settings.

While in Surveyor, if you Edit Route and then select United States, it sets the 'category-region' in the config.txt to '00', and then in the Main Menu the Region is displayed as '---'. If you edit the 'category-region' in the config.txt manually to 'US', the Region in the Main Menu is then displays as 'US', is this a bug or are there two different US regions? Or when you create a new Route you must edit the config.txt manually to set the 'category-region'?

United States in Surveyor;
Code:
category-region                         "00"
category-era                            "2010s"

Edit config.txt to;
Code:
category-region                         "US"
category-era                            "2010s"

And the second question is the 'category-era'. Is there a list of compatible eras for region US? Or should this just be left alone. My routes are late 20th century, so does not really make much difference, but would like to know how this setting affects things.

Thanks in advance for any help...

The list of category-region entries is shown in the wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Category-region. Note that "00" is not a valid entry code.

You set the region (which becomes the category-region entry in the config.txt file) from the Surveyor Main menu, Edit Route option. You will see a drop down box where you select the country by name.

The category-era, as far as I know, is entered manually into the config.txt file as I have not come across any menu based setting. You can find some information at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Category-era"_tag

The list of category-region entries is shown in the wiki at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Category-region. Note that "00" is not a valid entry code.

You set the region (which becomes the category-region entry in the config.txt file) from the Surveyor Main menu, Edit Session option. You will see a drop down box where you select the country by name.

The category-era, as far as I know, is entered manually into the config.txt file as I have not come across any menu based setting. You can find some information at http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"Category-era"_tag

I guess you did not really follow the question, when I create a route, set it to United States in Surveyor, it sets the 'category-region' to '00'. I know what the Wiki says...

It's not the Wiki that defines the valid regions. It's the file 'category-region.txt' in the validation folder. That file includes the unnamed region 00.

Wow, just learned some good stuff here, took a minute to find the 'category-region.txt' file location,

category region 01.jpg

Then found that there is an unnamed region '00', and a lot more regions that are not listed in the Surveyor edit Region Menu;

category region 02.jpg

And then found the answer to my second question, what are valid Eras? Well have a look here;

category region 03.jpg

Thank You SailorDan !!!

Also found this, so I will be testing a bunch of stuff, my week is now full of figuring out more Trainz stuff... LOL

category region 04.jpg

Last edited:
Category-region 00 was actually intended to mean "all regions". It was added to the list of valid category-regions a few years ago because many creators were using the invalid "ALL" instead of a valid 2-letter code.

Assigning a region via the Edit Route menu in Surveyor, assigns the kuid number of a known Kind = Region asset to the region tag (not the category-region tag) in config.txt. Kind region assets specify things like world origin coordinates, the list of vehicles that can appear as road traffic and which side of the road the traffic drives on.

The Edit Route menu
does not affect the route's category-region tag. As far as I know, this can only be changed by editing config.txt

Last edited:
Category-region 00 was actually intended to mean "all regions". It was added to the list of valid category-regions a few years ago because many creators were using the invalid "ALL" instead of a valid 2-letter code.

Assigning a region via the Edit Route menu in Surveyor, assigns the kuid number of a known Kind = Region asset to the region tag (not the category-region tag) in config.txt. Kind region assets specify things like world origin coordinates, the list of vehicles that can appear as road traffic and which side of the road the traffic drives on.

The Edit Route menu
does not affect the route's category-region tag. As far as I know, this can only be changed by editing config.txt

I am now seeing that you are 100% correct, Thank You

Back