Layouts

Solba

I would like info on how to do a layout of a real line, maybe an abandoned one. Any help appreciated.

Use TransDem or use screenshots from Google earth or maps and import them into your game

Research of the area you want to model along with a program called TransDem as mentioned.

http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeUndLandschaft/startseiteTransDEMEngl.htm

If it's an area near you, visit it on the ground and get first hand information from the locals as well as contacting the historical society, and museums if any in the area. Another Trainzer and I have been involved in a project such as this based on the Western Massachusetts region and in particular the Boston & Maine and its famous Hoosac Tunnel. When Steamboateng contacted the local historical society in North Adams, he was met with a lot of enthusiasm for the project, and then eventual contacts with the B&M Historical Society were made via these people. Through the museum in North Adams, he was introduced to Carl Byron who wrote a book chronicling the building of the Hoosac Tunnel, the electrification, and the infrastructure. Carl worked for the B&M from the 50s to 70s and has in depth knowledge about the track layout for the East Side yard, which is completely obliterated today.

This has lead to on-the-ground visits to the area, interviews of other locals, and lots and lots of photos to reference.

E5pRzgr.jpg

A visit to the East Side yard site.

The discussions with the locals are invaluable. These people will be able to tell you history about industries, where sidings once existed where there aren't any today, even history on abandoned lines. We found this most helpful regarding the mills and industries which made North Adams, Adams, and the surrounding area grow to what it is today.

TransDem is a must for this kind of project if you want to do this the right way. With TransDEM you will be able to combine National Geologic Survey DEM files with historic topographic maps, and export a route with maps in place and ready for track laying. Using the historic topographic maps, in situ on the DEM, you'll be able to see both extant and abandoned lines.

Here's part of the Hoosac Tunnel and Wilmington, which is related to the railroad mentioned above, and came off the bridge where there are none in the image above.

e4OqaA8.jpg

Anyway. This is how real-route projects go.

Creating a layout, a realistic looking layout of a real line, is a loooooong job. My last route, a recreation of a 47 mile line that existed in the 1950s and was uploaded to the DLS at the end of last year, was started in 2010. It is not just the layout that will take your time but creating, testing and debugging the sessions that can take even longer.

In my not so humble opinion, that would be a route, not a layout.

True, but the two terms are often used interchangeably by many posters.

At least it does not result in the same confusion as often exists between Sessions and Saved Games.

Back