Off to get my eyeball peeled in March.

Yes, have a quick and trouble-free recovery John.

In my own case it was the constant squinting at the computer screen many many years ago that alerted me to the fact that I needed glasses.

Hi John, isn't this getting older fun? My dad had the bad Macular Degeneration, not that there is a good one, plus he had to go for dialysis three times a week so since I had retired at a fairly ripe age of 57 I became his chauffeur. he told me several times while we were driving to the various doctors that if this was his Golden Years you could shove them up your a--. He had a way with words. Now I'm 73, had a quadruple bypass 14 months ago and have just started easing back on doctors visits. Hang in there, it will get better, just takes time.

I have an idea what you are going through, John. Other members of my family (father, sister, niece) - totalled up - have had 9 corneal eye grafts. Injections in the eye, drops every hour, patches, pads, can't see to clean the house, etc, and my sister has not driven a car for seven years. Ulceration would be ongoing pain and as you say, eyelid sticking. Grafts rejecting or getting infected, grafts becoming detached and moving within the eye; like this. Over 30 years, we are getting to be experts at looking at very red eyes with ugly white blobs in the middle and making prognostications. White eyes, too.

Well, I am pleased you can open your eye and see some glare.
Like the journey of my family members, it is frustration and stumbling for some time.
I am pleased you are not blind.
We are all pleased about that.

Take your time, and take your patience.
You have every day of your life for your eyes to get better.

So take time.
Chris

Good luck with your eye surgery John. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

After I had mine done, it was the bright lights and sunshine that made things difficult for me. I now need to wear sunglasses for anything outdoors; and it cuts down glare from headlights at night.
I also used Bilberry extract which helped clear the blood vessels around the eyes.

Wish you well - Cheers mate.

Roy

Glad the op went well John, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

After a bit of pestering the GP and optician I finally got a referral to an ophthalmic unit. According to the guy there my issue is MGD (Meibomian gland dysfunction ) which is basically when the oil glands inside the eyelid dry up/get blocked which in turn stop the watery tears adhering to the eye surface - hence dry/gritty sensation.

Treatment though is largely palliative and symptom based - heated eye mask once a day, drops and a more heavy duty ointment at night. There is one clinic in the UK (Manchester) which offers a treatment that involves heating the inside of the eyelid, but not available on the NHS and costing £500 - £600 a time (plus the likely cost of staying in a hotel overnight ).

I understand "keeping your eyes peeled", so have just read the OP out of curiosity. Having read the entire thread, I feel guilty for bitching myself over a newly-sensitive tooth(!). And I admire your stoicism, John, and how you can maintain that even temper of yours through all the suffering. I wish you a good recovery.

Great that the op went well and you're back online. Hope you have a full recovery. I missed the latest updates here while dealing with my own medical issues which are serious but could be worse.
Cheers Chuck

Back