Off to get my eyeball peeled in March.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I saw the eye doctor today to discuss some corrective measures for my ongoing eye issue. I have what they call map-dot-fingerprint corneal dystrophy. (Well that's a mouthful isn't it!)

It started as a scratchy right eye which I attributed to being dry or piece of cat hair in it. This was January 1st last year. The next day the right eye was burning and painful, which sent me in emergency to my eye doctor who saw me just as the office was closing.

The issue at the time was a small corneal ulceration which required some antibiotic drops and a contact lens, which is like a bandage for the eyeball. It worked and all was happy for about 9 months. Then in August I had a flare up which sent me to the eye doctor again. This time I was told I have some corneal erosion and need to use eye drops 6-8 times per day, plus some antibiotic drops again. That went on for about a month and everything was fine again, but then it flared up again and was worse. This time I was in agony, which preempted a piano lesson and I ended up canceling the lesson and went to the eye doctor again in emergency.

I could get about two to three weeks before an additional flare up hits. The treatment has been the same with drops and a contact lens. More recently, I've had my eyelid stick and catch on my eyeball! That's like peeling a chapped lip, but it's your eyeball instead. On the pain scale, this is about 20! The pain lasts a day then everything goes back to normal. The treatment has been the same, but with some steroids added.

Then I saw the doctor again today. We've discussed the situation, which has only gotten worse over the year and the conclusion is there's a few things going that will need surgery.

The surgery has been scheduled for March 23rd when I will have my right eye peeled, sanded with a diamond burr bit, and allowed to grow its cornea cells back. The surgery has an 80% success rate, which is good but with my other conditions too, this may not be as good. If this doesn't work, I will need recurring surgery every few months.

In the meantime, sadly my Trainzing, piano playing, and other computer stuff has been limited because keeping my eyes focused for too long, and not blinking as I should, causes the condition to become worse. I also noticed too before flare ups that I'm sensitive to bright lights, have blurred vision, have reduced vision acuity - everything seems way too small like it's the size of ants, and I get awful headaches from it.

Sorry to hear about what you had to go thru at the eye doctor John. Just rest up, hope you get better soon.

Sorry to hear that John. We're all pulling for you and hope your surgery goes well.

Just keep those eye-drops handy - A moist eye is far more comfortable than a dry one.

Take care mate, cheers,
Roy

Am I the only once who winced visualizing the image John has formed for us with the thread title?
Get well soon John.

Good grief! That sounds just awful.

I wish you all the best for your operation and hope you have someone to look after you post surgery.

That sounds horrible, the visualizing of the words made me feel the pain, the mind feels like going crazy, and I must join the others in wishing you all the best John, and hope things can improve because that situation you have sounds just awful! :-(

Linda

Evening John,

Just read your Medical Story, good night America.......Lord have mercy........I'm pulling the Trainz Prayer for a good recovery sir!

Wish you the very best..........

John,

I hope all goes well for your eyes.. In the mean-time I hope you can get some musical pleasure by playing from memory or "by ear", as I do on the classical guitar.

My thoughts are with you.

Hope it all goes well John. I thought you were originally talking about cataract removal but this sounds a whole lot less fun.
Cheers
Chuck

Thank you all for your kind words. I'll poke in from time to time, mostly in late mornings and sometimes in the evenings when the lighting isn't too bright, which is a big problem which affects a lot of things including driving. I had a lucky night last night and slept pretty well without any sticking but you can all imagine I'm on edge all the time waiting for the inevitable shoe to drop.

Can't think of anything worse than someone hacking around in an eye! Hope the operation goes smoothly and you get a one shot fix.

All the best with that John certainly does not sound like much fun. I had to go and have my ears syringed two weeks ago and I thought that was bad enough. Still, I can hear a pin drop now or so it seems compared to how it was before the treatment, so let's hope your "not to be looked forward to event" turns out the same.

Bill

Last edited:
Back