A NEW Way to get a Younger Generation into Model Trains

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
So on January 15th (Martin Luther King Jr. Day), me, my Mom and Dad, went up to Chattanooga to do some shopping before we got snowed in the next day. While they went to a thrift store in a strip mall, I went a few businesses down to a Books-A-Million and went straight to the back to the magazines. I picked up the Garden Railways Magazine and flipped thru it. When I opened it, the 'From the Editor' caught my attention. It was about a new way to get people interested in model trains, and by extension, full-size train. It was about an event that has sprung up across the country called Maker Faire. According to Make magazine, it is an event that "celebrates arts, crafts, engineering, science projects, and the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) mindset." Model railroads fall into several mediums that I listed: Arts and crafts for the scenery, structures, trains, backdrops, etc. Engineering for the benchwork supporting the model railroad, and of course, Do-It-Yourself. One more that a model railroad would fall under is electrical for the wiring needed to make the model railroad actually work. This doesn't just limit it to indoor model railroads, but model railroads built outside. What I mean by 'outside' is that some outdoor model railroads are built on a wooden platform on top of wooden stilts supporting at the wooden platforms about waist height. The article mentioned that at the Maker Faire that was featured had such a outdoor model railroad on display, with G Scale live steamers and normal electric model trains. This little railroad attracted not only the 'wiser' generation, but children, their adults, both women and men, and boys and girls. They asked a bunch of questions about the trains running around the display, hopefully getting them interested in model trains and getting them away from playing video games and watching a bunch of TV. I hope that model trains start appearing at more Maker Fairs across the country and the world, not only to show that a model railroad display is limited to a model railroad convention, but to reach out to the people that would otherwise have to go to a model railroad convention to see the model railroad.
Oh, and if you're wondering what I mean by model railroad built on a wooden platform on wooden stilts, here's an example:

I've seen videos of this type of layout online. There is one group in Santa Ynez, Calif. A while ago they did a mile-long train in O scale.

Years ago, I spent some time at NTrak conventions. They would assemble dozens of modules together to make a very large N scale layout. I bring this up because they had an unofficial rule that there _had_ to be moving trains. When trains were moving people would stop, watch and ask questions. When the trains stopped, they would walk away.

Back