Checkrail.com suspended?

I think I'll have to install TS12 so that I can download EK3, replace the profig trees, then import it to TANE.

I'm sorry to hear this , EK1 to EK3 are still one of my must have routes . And still hold up in TANE . I was vary interested in the version as an model table route . Thank you for all the enjoyment you have given us over the years . The Russian narrow gauge rout was a lot of fun , Sorry don't remember the name . But was vary well done . Matt
Kanshino was the name, really looks great with mcquirel trees and procedural track in TANE:

kanshino8.jpg

Thanks Andy
Harold

I'm not familiar with the Wayback Machine. I was on the site but how do you get the items that you're looking for? Such as the CDP file for Clovis Sub. Thanks.

Sad news indeed. It was a great website and Dermmy's routes have always been an inspiration since I first started. Thanks for all you've done!
Dean

This is sad news indeed. I like visiting his site and his routes were awesome, especially the EK2 and 3 routes. Just amazing!

We'll miss the site. Thanks for sharing your routes with us

Yes, there's many routes on the DLS that look like they were made by 10 year olds. Try Glenwood Shops for some great free routes of the B&O, WM, etc. Very long routes. The same author also made huge blank DEM's on the DLS including Philly to Pittsburgh, etc. but no tiger lines just a track and town/station markers. He is an older adult man I believe. His ID is jrfolco. I didn't realize checkrail disappeared. Maybe you can still access it through wayback? But the links for the routes might not be there. I wonder if the routes are fair game now like landrvr's stuff and now ANL's stuff?

Last edited:
Yes, there's many routes on the DLS that look like they were made by 10 year olds. Try Glenwood Shops for some great free routes of the B&O, WM, etc. Very long routes. The same author also made huge blank DEM's on the DLS including Philly to Pittsburgh, etc. but no tiger lines just a track and town/station markers. He is an older adult man I believe. His ID is jrfolco. I didn't realize checkrail disappeared. Maybe you can still access it through wayback? But the links for the routes might not be there. I wonder if the routes are fair game now like landrvr's stuff and now ANL's stuff?

Some links still work, some don't

Yeah, Joe's stuff is great. :)

You have to be careful about the copyright. The content, even if orphaned still belongs to Andy Turnbull, and it's up to him to release it into the public domain if he wants. Now that is if the site is actually dead and not mothballed for some reason. Let's hope he's in good health and is looking for another host to hold his website, and Checkrail.com will be up and running again somewhere else.

Just for Future viewers who wonder about Checkrail. They have officially closed their doors due to the content not being TANE Compatible and Low Traffic to the site itself. The owner Said quote " It didn't seem worth it to host another year. TANE is not supporting older versions of trainz content."

Just for Future viewers who wonder about Checkrail. They have officially closed their doors due to the content not being TANE Compatible and Low Traffic to the site itself. The owner Said quote " It didn't seem worth it to host another year. TANE is not supporting older versions of trainz content."
And that's why despite owning TANE, I keep 12 installed. To run and use content that isn't supported in TANE. Smart move, methinks.

Gday all.

Checkrail is gone, didn't seem worth another year's hosting with nothing on it that was remotely up to the standards being set in Tane.

Cheers,

Andy
Not that I’m in a position to download and store your routes in case my personal position changes in the future, Sum of the greatest work that has given me countless enjoyable hours so for that Andy I owe you and doubt I could ever repay for the good times we had. I hope you one day change your mind and show wanna be route builders how it should be done mate, Thanks again for the good times.
Cheers Mick.

Just to be completely clear, T:ANE does support older content which was built to the guidelines. Stuff that doesn’t work was probably always broken and may have worked in older versions but not necessarily as intended.

Paul

Previously I wasn't considering the Russian Kanshino route, but now that I decided to download it, I cannot access the .cdp file via Wayback Machine. Hopefully there's some other way to download it. If I was somehow able to download it, I'll do the same thing that I did for EK3, download it, install it in TS12, replace the Profig trees, save it as a new .cdp file, and then install it in TANE.

I also managed to get EK3 into TANE, but I had to install TS12 first. After finding and installing all the dependencies, I replaced all the Profig stuff with clam1952's trees and bushes. However, I chose to write down what Profig trees were replaced with what clam1952 trees so that I know what Profig's trees in Russian means in English. Once I did that I did that, I saved it as a separate .cdp file and installed it into TANE. I discovered there were several faulty content in TANE that weren't in TS12.

Here's a list of the faulty content in TANE:
Auran's mine2, <kuid:-13:1004330>
Auran's Station QR, <kuid:-12:679>
grupostr's STR-CUBATO, <kuid:430331:201>
grupostr's STR-CUBATO-2, <kuid:430331:202>
natvander's Lever Frame Platform - 6 Levers. <kuid:61119:28054>

You need the following programs to fix them:
PEV's image2TGA
PEV's Trainz Mesh Viewer
Gimp or a similar program used to make texture files used by Trainz

Auran's and grupostr's content needs only PEV's programs, but natvander's require all three programs

Auran's have only texture errors, so you need to use PEV's image2TGA to fix them

grupostr's have both texture and thumbnail errors, you'll need PEV's image2TGA to fix it and use PEV's Trainz Mesh Viewer to make a thumbnail

natvander's is the hardest one to fix. You need PEV's image2TGA and gimp.
After you convert the texture files to TGA files, you'll get an error that one of a 'texture is not a factor of 2, please resize it'. You need gimp or a similar program to fix the file. When you open the file it is a 32x83 pixel size. You'll need to change the size to 32x32 to fix the texture error.

After fixing this content, you should not have any more faulty content needed for EK3 in TANE.

Checkrail.com's Content Repair Group

I was laying in the bed this morning thinking about the demise of checkrail.com and came up with an idea that might bring people back to it: checkrail's very own Content Repair Group. Why make such a group? Because all the routes on the website are not compatible with TANE. Also, there's a group doing the same thing for content on the DLS that don't work in TANE. In order to get this to work, every member of the group must have a previous edition of Trainz, preferably TS12. Here's the list of recommend changes to get the routes to work in TANE:
1. Replace trees that do not work in TANE with trees that do work in TANE
2. Replace the content from obscure third-party websites with content available on the DLS or more well-know third-party websites to reduce the amount of searching around to find missing dependencies
3. Replace track with procedural track
4. Ensure that the amount of changes be not significant enough to loose the 'feel' of the original versions
5. All third-party content MUST come either a .cdp file or a .zip file so that the need to download and install a third-party program is not needed, i.e. WinRAR or 7-zip
6. All content that is faulty in TANE MUST be replaced with content that is NOT faulty in TANE
Recommended third-party websites:
www.checkrail.com
www.jointedrail.com (Jointed Rail)
www.trainzproroutes.com (Trainz Pro Routes)
www.trainzforge.weebly.com (Trainz Forge) (OLD WEBSITE)
www.trainz-forge.com (Trainz Forge) (NEW WEBSITE)
What do you think?
P.S. I would include The Erecting Hall's website, but the address I have in my favorites is no longer the address of the website.

Always amazed at the importance of defunct websites.

Checkrail had been around for years with it's own photo thread.

Why is everyone complaining of the demise, obviously the content wasn't that important before?

Shoulda got the content when it was there, EK3 looks great in it's original form in TANE SP1:

ek3a8.jpg

And you should kept a copy of TANE SP1 also!

Harold

Last edited:
hminky I think your missing the point here

Always amazed at the importance of defunct websites.Checkrail had been around for years with it's own photo thread.
Why is everyone complaining of the demise, obviously the content wasn't that important before?

Importance of the site insist what's really being said here . But the routes and content made by Andy was some of the best work in trainz ( my opinion ) . Not due to any fault to Andy , but with the closing of said site . the lost of these routes are not a benefit to our community . Some of his work is on the DSL , knowledge of his work is what seem to be missing . Updating his work was undertaken by more them a few, myself included . I'm not complaining about the lost of a site . We've lost a lot of people work in this way . And ten years is a dam good run . But just making other aware of what we are about to lose . With a Thanks for what was done .

I happy that other are showing how this can be done, and what's needed to give further life to these great works . Not complaining.

Matt

Back