Coal Country missing assets???????

JDOMINICK

About 30 minutes ago, I finally took the chance to purchase the Coal Country route for T:ANE. After getting it installed however, I noticed there's a huge chunk of missing assets, which include the track. It just seems as if over half of the installation is missing assets. Would anyone know how to fix this issue?

There are 6 CDP files to download (links on your account); all eventually missing assets are either on the DLS or JR's.

Yes, there were a lot of missing assets for me as well, from a new purchase direct from JR and install from about a week ago. I was able to download everything missing from the DLS and a 52 ft car from JR. There was one faulty asset in particular, a rockslide detector fence, that I could not fix or find a non-faulty copy of. I deleted it. But then the route shows missing dependency kuid2:124017:20110:4. I can't remember if that's the kuid of the fence, but a search for that kuid turns up nothing. Everything else is fine on my install now.

I have to say that when I pay for a route or any other content, I want all the dependencies necessary for that content to be included in that content. Luckily, I had a FCT from getting the Platinum package, but if I had to buy a FCT so I could download all those missing assets at more than 10 bytes/sec, I would be quite miffed.

So, far, although I love some things about Trainz, I have to say that the notion that there's half a million free assets available is misleading. Even if you pay to have unthrottled access, most of those assets are old, and I've yet to find more than a few that are worth downloading, if we're talking about routes or sessions. I suppose for those that just want rolling stock and locos, or assets to build their own routes, it might be a rosier picture.

Perusing these forums suggests that this product is kind of a pseudo-model train hobby, where lots of folks build beautiful routes (judging from their pictures) and never let anyone else have them. Each person seems to work on their own build. That's fine, I guess, but a bit odd as well. I suspect that the trouble of finding and packaging all the assets one uses to build a route, given the arcane file structure of this product, is discouraging of the impulse to share. Sad, really. I've seen some incredibly realistic and beautiful routes in screenshots, but what is generally available, including almost all of the N3V routes, are sad cartoons.

This Coal Country route is an exception. It's beautiful, and incredibly well thought out. I'm hoping to see more like this from JR or somebody in the not too distant future.

Last edited:
Okay, I reinstalled that. It reinstalled the Rockslide Detector Fencing (which does match the kuid), but it is still listed as faulty.

Here's what it says:

; <kuid2:124017:20110:4> Validating <kuid2:124017:20110:4>
! <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'fencing-fencing.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'insulator.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_end/fencing_end-fencing_end.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_start/concrete.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_start/fencing-fencing.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_start/insulator.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_start/pole.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_start/rusty.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rockslide-fence_start/signalbox.texture'.
- <kuid2:124017:20110:4> VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'rusty.texture'.

The route still shows modified, faulty because of this dependency. Is this the way it is for you as well?

By the way, a lot of dependencies show as Open for edit. Should I submit those edits to close them?

So what do I do about it? It’s a new install of T:ANE, bought two weeks ago, and a new install of Coal Country, bought a week ago. The DLS doesn’t seem to be able to find or download a non-faulty version of this dependency. I have to say all of this is rather discouraging. Not a very user friendly or logical system. Can’t we do better than this? Learning the arcane mysteries of this opaque process of installation with no real help other than these forums...no wonder there is such a small user base for this product.

It appears the faulty dependency is in the coal country dependency pack, since it showed up again after reinstalling that pack. How can it be faulty for me and not for you? Why is a dependency included in the assets of a payware route showing as faulty?

Last edited:
So what do I do about it? It’s a new install of T:ANE, bought two weeks ago, and a new install of Coal Country, bought a week ago. The DLS doesn’t seem to be able to find or download a non-faulty version of this dependency. I have to say all of this is rather discouraging. Not a very user friendly or logical system. Can’t we do better than this? Learning the arcane mysteries of this opaque process of installation with no real help other than these forums...no wonder there is such a small user base for this product.

It appears the faulty dependency is in the coal country dependency pack, since it showed up again after reinstalling that pack. How can it be faulty for me and not for you? Why is a dependency included in the assets of a payware route showing as faulty?

From reading about your problem above:

1) Any assets that are open for edit need to be reverted to original.

The reason for this is a failsafe to ensure assets are not overwritten by the same assets if they are installed from a pack. This was an issue which existed previously.

2) The faulty asset is easily repaired.

You need to use PEV's Images2TGA to convert the .texture to image files. Open for edit, open each .texture file, save as a tga and then submit the asset.

Then again this may also be related to the open for edit issue and reverting to original may resolve this issue as well.

The DLS may not have a non-faulty version or a version at all of that asset if it is a custom asset from Jointed Rail.

Okay I’ll revert to original on the open for edit assets. But this is the kind of thing I’m talking about. How would I know to do that on my own. It’s not in any manual that I’ve found. In fact, having to use content manager and figure out all of these codes and categories is the kind of user unfriendly design I was talking about. And I’m used to this sort of thing from Railworks and from years of tweaking FS config files.

And the fix fix for the faulty file is worse. That’s asking a lot from the common user. But, I appreciate you spelling out the steps to fix it, and I’ll download that program and give that a try. I tried reverting that file to original, but that didn’t work.

Last edited:
Well, thanks. Doing the process you suggested did indeed fix the dependency. It was a little tricky to figure out how to do it, since the Images2TGA is made for TS2009 and TS2010 it appears, and I couldn't set it up to open in T:ANE content manager. However, I could open the file for edit, find it in my users/appdata/ folders which seem to be where the content manager seems to open files to edit and then find each texture file and save it as a .tga and then submit the edits.

What a crazy system this is!!!!

If it weren't for you old hands willing to help a noob out, there'd be no hope for anyone coming to the sim now like me.

Coal Country is now without errors for me.

Well, thanks. Doing the process you suggested did indeed fix the dependency. It was a little tricky to figure out how to do it, since the Images2TGA is made for TS2009 and TS2010 it appears, and I couldn't set it up to open in T:ANE content manager. However, I could open the file for edit, find it in my users/appdata/ folders which seem to be where the content manager seems to open files to edit and then find each texture file and save it as a .tga and then submit the edits.

What a crazy system this is!!!!

If it weren't for you old hands willing to help a noob out, there'd be no hope for anyone coming to the sim now like me.

Coal Country is now without errors for me.

That's good news and thank you. :)

You can move your content to another location or a drive, but that's another topic. I've gone as far as run T:ANE over a network with my content residing on my desktop computer and attaching to it from my gaming laptop.

Images2TGA has been updated to work with T:ANE, though it contains some built-in filters for the previous versions. Trainz is like that, by the way, there's lots of legacy stuff in here which is both good and bad. But anyway, you can automate Images2TGA to do this operation for you via a batch file. There's a nice set of documentation for it and it works really great when you need to do this to a lot of stuff.

Your willingness to learn and do is a good thing. You'll find Trainz in general to be like a regular hobby with lots of tinkering and fiddling. I've reskinned, modified and adjusted content to suit my needs, knowing full well the stuff can't be uploaded.

Thanks

From reading about your problem above:

1) Any assets that are open for edit need to be reverted to original.

The reason for this is a failsafe to ensure assets are not overwritten by the same assets if they are installed from a pack. This was an issue which existed previously.

2) The faulty asset is easily repaired.

You need to use PEV's Images2TGA to convert the .texture to image files. Open for edit, open each .texture file, save as a tga and then submit the asset.

Then again this may also be related to the open for edit issue and reverting to original may resolve this issue as well.

The DLS may not have a non-faulty version or a version at all of that asset if it is a custom asset from Jointed Rail.

Thanks! That saved me from a lot of problems.

Back