Converting layout from T:ANE to TRS12

Well, unless your willing to remake the entire thing (meaning rebuilding it from scratch), its what oknotsen said, its a no

Ever since the way Trainz handles files in 09, 10, 12, T:ANE, routes can not be backdated into lower Trainz versions

I am uncertain if an 06 route can be backdated into 04, anyone know ?

Ever since the way Trainz handles files in 09, 10, 12, T:ANE, routes can not be backdated into lower Trainz versions

I am uncertain if an 06 route can be backdated into 04, anyone know ?
You can always give it a shot ;)

I tried the Marias Pass route Plus for the TRS2006 version, and it seem to work - ish. Had several asset problems tho

Short answer: No.

The reason is that TANE (since SP2 I believe) uses a different file format for the layout than TS12 and earlier versions. Instead of one single and often enormous .gnd (ground data) file, TANE breaks the layout into lots (and lots) of smaller .gnd and .obs and .rlr and .trk and .vtx files, none of which will load into TS12. This was done to make loading faster, amongst other reasons.

Hi. Yes i can see that it wont be long before many trains people
will no longer be here
Because now people only build for-t,ane
and many people will lose interest in Trainz
and find other train simulators because many people are not going to
buy a new computer just to be able to run the last Trainz version
I still stick with 2009 as i still think that was the best version
Kind Regards
Tonny- herlev

Last edited:
I have said the same thing, myself ... I still stick with 06 ... soon everyone with a lower trainz-build than NEXTT:ANE, will be, cut out, cast off, and cut off, from the game, as each progressive trainz-build eradicates all other lower trainz-build users

There was in excess of 350,000 assets available to download before T:ANE came along so I'm not convinced those who to now have enjoyed Trainz will give it up for the sake of updating their computers to run the latest version. Fortunately my desktop was able to run T:ANE and will likely run Trainz 2018, but my old laptop just about supports Windows let alone TS12 but I still enjoy using it when away from home or my good lady is fed up being a Trainz widow and sitting watching perhaps TV on her own. N3V and Trainz I'm sure will continue to take advantage of the available computing and in particular graphic power in the future, its a personal choice if at some stage you buy into such advances. I have however noticed that some early/mid 2000 versions of programs no longer run under the Windows 10 Creative update so could this be a sign of things to come. It may not be the hardware that causes Trainz enthusiasts to upgrade or abandon their interest but the ever changing OS. Peter

I have said the same thing, myself ... I still stick with 06 ... soon everyone with a lower trainz-build than NEXTT:ANE, will be, cut out, cast off, and cut off, from the game, as each progressive trainz-build eradicates all other lower trainz-build users

And this is a problem why? If users are not progressing to new versions of the game they have effectively cut themselves off (for whatever reason) anyway.

The change in file format occurred, without any notice of the implications, with the release of TANE SP2. While the reason given for the change has been to speed up loading of routes and perhaps to facilitate the operation of the multiplayer Surveyor, projected to be introduced in the next version of TANE, the fact that this radical changeover was implemented without any notice suggests also that it might serve as the basis of a new revenue stream, perhaps a subscription system of some kind.

Luckily, I spotted the change of format in time to be able to limit work on routes to SP1, which I will continue to do until the full implications of the new file format become clear. I have a version of TANE updated to SP2, which I will continue to update. I can easily copy my routes over and run them under SP2. Not as tedious as it seems: it allows me the best of both worlds at the moment.

... soon everyone with a lower trainz-build than NEXTT:ANE, will be, cut out, cast off, and cut off, from the game, as each progressive trainz-build eradicates all other lower trainz-build users

Its called progress, and happens with all technology. Apple have recently dropped support for all 32 bits apps downloaded from their own app store on their new phones.

The alternative is to stand still and stagnate. We can be nostalgic about the past but most of us want to move on to better graphics.

I agree with you pware, but I don't think that better graphics should come at the cost of cutting off a large portion of the community, especially for a game so heavily based around the DLS and its content. Innovation doesn't mean we completely destroy what once was. As a follow up, I think Auran is putting too much strain on a community that really isn't that big. (I love Trainz so dont hate on me, but lets be real, Railroad simulation is kind of a niche thing) I think they need to slow down and look at how there newer products are really effecting the community.

I fully understand and sympathise but I do remember the complaints not too many years ago about how the Trainz Jet engine was outdated, how the graphics were looking poor, how the performance was not keeping up with the advances in technology, etc, etc.

I believe the complaints were centered more around the perforance being poor for the graphics, I feel it wouldnt be such an issue if it ran better before. Optimize what worked before starting completely new again. . . But hey its open for discussion

... soon everyone with a lower trainz-build than NEXTT:ANE, will be, cut out, cast off, and cut off, from the game, as each progressive trainz-build eradicates all other lower trainz-build users
Nobody is cut off from anything. Those older versions still work like they always did. The content for those versions is still accessible from the DLS like it was, and many other locations continue to host that old content. The only issue might be keeping that old hardware running.
New trainz builds do not in any way affect older builds or older assets. Your comment just doesn't stack up.

Back