Dependencies missing when available? confusedIm

Fallnflag

I’m fairly new with Trainz, been doing a bunch of downloading of missing assets. Reading forums and so on try to learn the basics.

Am I doing something wrong when I download a session, route, rolling stock from the DLS? For example I’m trying to gain the Norfolk Southern Yard Modual Basic by escd84. Lots of things were downloaded and installed, but over a 1000 assests are missing but available for down loading. Why? I think I understand that some of these items are updated assets. But it appers to me that most of these missing assets have no reversion/update tag (xxxx:0). Shouldn’t they have been within the original download?

So im slowly down loading each assets that’s available, in two days of constant DLing I’m about 1/4 the way through the missing items. About to throw in the towel. Very irritating.

In addition I been running into issue of greyed out “unknown assets”, missing in my fault display. This seems to be prevelant especially for locomotives. These missing items are often cabs interiors, or wheels, or wheel sets with an occasional horn/chime thrown in for good measure. Is there some sort of default or rollback available to by pass these error?

Colore me frustrated
Don

Hi Don

Normally when you right click on a route and tell it to download it will pull all or most of the dependencies in with it. There may be a few missing if they are third party assets from an external site and sometimes the DLS fails to find all of the dependencies for a few assets. A similar situation applies to rolling stock assets.

With regard to the missing assets for the route, have you tried right clicking on the installed route in content manager and selecting download? This should download all missing assets available on the DLS. Alternatively you can right click on the route and select "List Dependencies" which will open a new list box showing all dependencies. Click on the column heading "Status" and it should sort them based on their status. You can then select the whole block of assets available for download, right click and select download.

I have quite a few routes with missing dependencies which I'm unable to find. Unless it's something major such as track, signalling or an industry then I have a look at the route and see if the missing item is obviously missing. If it's something like one tree out of many then I don't bust a gut trying to find it, I just ignore it.

Regards

Brian

I don't have that particular route but since no one else has yet responded to your question, I will give it a go.

Using CM I can see two different versions of this asset

<kuid2:203554:100102:4> Norfolk Southern Yard Module
<kuid2:203554:100102:2> Norfolk Southern Yard Module

The first listed above is the newer (because it has a higher build number, the ":4" on the end). Which one did you download and how did you download it?

EDIT: It looks like Brian beat me to an answer.

I've had several situations where a dependency is downloaded, but its dependencies are not. I need to download them separately. And sometimes then I also then need to download dependencies for those dependencies.

@Fallnflag: <kuid2:203554:100102:4> is the version where all content and their dependencies is available on the DLS. So far I have not received any feedback about missing content in this version :4. It will certainly take a long time to get everything together, as the route itself requires 2311 dependencies, which again have a lot of dependencies. At this point a small apology for this circumstance! But this was the only way that anyone can use the route, whether it has the standard version of Trainz or the Deluxe.

Since you are new with Trainz, it is quite normal that your database is not so full and therefore much has to be downloaded first. The Content Manager will download everything necessary for this route. Maybe you buy an FCT for the beginning, then it goes faster and especially since there are a lot more for you to download from the DLS for the future.

Thank for the replies

Appreciate the replies, I’m redownloading the newest version @escd84 at this moment. Your modual looks wonderful and I’m look forward to using it. I can understand too that I’m missing items, even with the platinum package. Will the FCT actually help? Worthwhile?
I understand that assets can change, but sush a large quantity of missing assets seems strange. But I’ll keep plugging away.
@nfitzsimmons yep you suggestion is what I’m also running in to.
Can anyone tell be the difference betweeen the two download buttons? The ftp one works but the top one doesn’t seem to do anything? Am I missing something?

Thanks again for the replies.
Don

I have similar issue with missing dependencies at the payware items, I cannot move either forward or back. What I only know is that all dependencies needed are installed :-/

I've had several situations where a dependency is downloaded, but its dependencies are not. I need to download them separately. And sometimes then I also then need to download dependencies for those dependencies.
If I remember correctly, this is where the "List Dependencies Recursively" helps. As I understand this, it not only lists the immediate dependencies, but also lists the dependencies of these dependencies.

@Fallnflag: The different versions of the game contain a different amount of content. Of course you get most of the content with your Platinum Edition. But even that is only a fraction of the actual content which is available on the DLS. There are scarce 450000 contents on the DLS, maybe you get 5% of it with the game itself. Therefore, there is also an FCT for your purchased version for 30 days. With it you can download faster via Content Manager and also several things at once. Search first everything together that interests you on the DLS, favored railroad, topics for example and then you run it overnight and download everything. Enable your FCT through "My Train" on the top of this page then "Download tickets" and after that "First Class access". There your FCT should be listed from the purchase of the Platinum Edition. Then restart CM with your credentials and you're ready to go.

@JAGG: Have you tried to delete everything in your Trainzuser\packages folder, make a DB repair and then download everything new in the game? For me it has also happened often that DLC contents have disappeared by a DB repair. Or did you have content disabled during a DB repair. Unfortunately, this also leads to such problems

@Fallnflag: The different versions of the game contain a different amount of content. Of course you get most of the content with your Platinum Edition. But even that is only a fraction of the actual content which is available on the DLS. There are scarce 450000 contents on the DLS, maybe you get 5% of it with the game itself. Therefore, there is also an FCT for your purchased version for 30 days. With it you can download faster via Content Manager and also several things at once. Search first everything together that interests you on the DLS, favored railroad, topics for example and then you run it overnight and download everything. Enable your FCT through "My Train" on the top of this page then "Download tickets" and after that "First Class access". There your FCT should be listed from the purchase of the Platinum Edition. Then restart CM with your credentials and you're ready to go.

thanks for the reply. Yea I have thT ticket still. Been waiting till I understand what’s going on the the protocols of DL, dependency and so on. Appreciate the advice. Out of town for a bit so I’ll get more into it when I return hom.

Don

Back