Parallel Track Gradient

Forester1

Hi! I am trying to run two parallel tracks on a gradient. In order to build a gradient, I am supposed to insert regular spline points and set the gradient just after each one. However, Surveyor will not set two overlapping spline points on two parallel tracks, which seems to mean the spline points on the second track will have to be offset from the points on the first track, particularly the starting and ending points of the grade. The grade will be about 2 miles long, so I don't want one getting too far off from the other.. Is that going to allow the tracks to be even, or will it wash out when I apply the "smooth splines" function? Or is there some other trick to keeping the two tracks exactly on the same level? I am going to use a 1% slope, so maybe it won't be noticeable? The tracks are about half a square apart, similar to a siding, only this isn't a siding. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Apply the gradient % on one particular track, all the way from top, to bottom, of the grade

Then measure each individual spline point height(s) on that one track ... apply those track spline point height numeral(s) to each adjacent parallel track(s)

Last edited:
I agree, the way to do it is as CCRR says. If you have a curve on the gradient the length of track on the inside will be shorter than the length of track on the outside, therefore the gradient will be slightly different. This presumes you have all the spline points matched up on each track, as they should be to keep the tracks parallel.

Cheers,
Bill69.

You may also get a variance in parallel track height even with the same gradient applies, if one of the tracks spurs off a point/turnout spline point and the other doesn't. If you're doing a route with severe gradients worth choosing a track type with a deep ballast base which will help to hide minor irregularities when smoothing terrain under track in this situation.

The tracks are about half a square apart, similar to a siding, only this isn't a siding. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
With two tracks half a square apart there should be no difficulty in putting the spline points exactly alongside each other and setting the height of each. You need to go back and look at why you are having a problem doing that. It could be simply the viewpoint you choose when you try to select the spline point - always use a viewpoint that puts the required spline point in the foreground.

The best solution is to create a double-track asset. Look for an existing double track that uses a 'default' invisible mesh for the spline and a pair of attached tracks for the tracks. Change the attached tracks kuid to the kuid for your tracks, and check the offset each side. Also check the default track direction for each track. All the old reasons for not using double tracks do not apply with this arrangement, and laying it up a slope will be much easier.

Awesome tips guys. Thanks to all of you, you have given me some things to try. I appreciate it! I will post back how it turns out....

Hi trev999. Yell, um yes, sort of. I use it constantly when laying this dual track out. For some reason did not think about it for this <|:OP Thanks for hitting me with the obvious! Off Topic, How do you guys get your favorite locomotives by your name (I don't see anything about avatars), and favorite lines at the bottoms of your posts ?

... favorite locomotives by your name ... favorite lines at the bottoms of your posts ...
you can go to the FAQ-button in the left upper corner of this page and read "whattodo" ...:
- leftclick: setting and profile features
- leftclick: signatures, avatars and profile pics

you can go to the Settings-button in the right uppercorner of this page and "Edit Avatar / Signature" ...

have fun
daveric

Back