Locking a Route as Payware

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
I am looking to release my 1st Route. I would like to have it as Payware. I know I am capable of building a .cpd file and using my website to make someone pay for the file if I decide to go that way. So these are some questions I have...

Is there a way to embed a 'key' mechanism into the file and/or script where a user must supply a 'key' number to activate the Content / Route / Sessions?

Is there a way for the script to call home with the activation key?

I would prefer to have users be able to edit the Route after they buy it, but then would it not work as payware then? IE... someone could just clone it and resell it?

How does one get their Route on Trainz store? And is it worth it versus putting on your own website, like Jointed Rail does (unlocked).

The route is for T:ANE any version.

Hi Chris --

" ... 1st Route ... release as Payware ... ."

Do you mean:
I have made several routes but this is the first one that I feel is sufficiently good to release as payware.
or​
This is the very first route I have ever make and I want to release it as payware.

If the second, based on my own personal experience, it's a very brave and courageous decision. Unless you are extremely gifted.

Phil

Do you mean:
I have made several routes but this is the first one that I feel is sufficiently good to release as payware.
or​
This is the very first route I have ever make and I want to release it as payware.

A search of the DLS reveals no uploads of any kind by this user, but of course he could have many on third party sites.

Hi Chris --

Do you mean:
or​

If the second, based on my own personal experience, it's a very brave and courageous decision. Unless you are extremely gifted.

Phil

No, I have never uploaded anything yet. This is why I am asking these dumb newbie questions related to uploading content. I need some direction, I may even upload some free content.

I have been building Routes for almost 8 years starting with TS12, and now T:ANE. I spend about 10-12 hours per week at it (I have a full time job and a wife so that's all I can get in). My approach is to build smaller sections from 3 to 20 baseboards length in size, then merge them together in different ways until I get a good working route that the AI will behave in. I had around 20 of these small Route sections complete in TS12. When T:ANE came out I found it too difficult to transfer these to T:ANE, and the quality was not there, so I started over. I had learned alot from TS12 and did not make those mistakes in T:ANE, it was also easier knowing what I wanted each section to look like. I have about 15 sections done in T:ANE and have merged a couple full size routes that look great and are about 40-50 miles in length. All sections are USA 70's ish to modern area Routes.

One strategy would be to release the sections with no consists on them for free to everyone, then make a good full size route with 3 or 4 sessions as payware. As pware states, I have never uploaded anything yet.

Besides the route sections, I have a dedicated route that I am working on, the Metra line from Waukegan Harbor, IL to Chicago, IL. Starts at the Wisconsin Illinois state line and goes to the end in Chicago. This is still a work in progress and is about 1/2 way done. That will be a couple years out.

You can see some screen shots in the Trainz Gallery under my username Christopher824

Last edited:
No, I have never uploaded anything yet. This is why I am asking these dumb newbie questions related to uploading content. I need some direction, I may even upload some free content.

One strategy would be to release the sections with no consists on them for free to everyone, then make a good full size route with 3 or 4 sessions as payware.

There are a couple of DLC routes that are free to download, Niddertalbahn and 1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches + a free session, with payware sessions available for the Niddertalbahn. So this may be a strategy worth trying. As you are an upload newbie, users will want to see the quality of your work before they are willing to hand over money.

However, as is being currently discussed in another thread, there is a world of difference between creating layouts and creating sessions. Many creators are good at one but not the other. So posting a freeware session to go with your route might also be to your advantage.

However, as is being currently discussed in another thread, there is a world of difference between creating layouts and creating sessions. Many creators are good at one but not the other. So posting a freeware session to go with your route might also be to your advantage.

Okay, I like this strategy, I enjoyed the fly over session with the 1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches, it did give me a good look at the Route. That's a great recommendation, a Route with a free session.

As far as building session, I've found that the AI is my weak point, they really get me upset occasionally.

As far as building session, I've found that the AI is my weak point, they really get me upset occasionally.

You are not alone in that. I have found that the best way to deal with the AI is to keep it simple and to a minimum. The focus of a session should be the user driving experience, not watching the AI get itself into a tangled knot. My sessions have no more than one AI train and that is usually to provide a passing train at some point along the route.

"As you are an upload newbie, users will want to see the quality of your work before they are willing to hand over money."

My thoughts exactly. As a potential purchaser I'd certainly like to gauge the quality of the product before buying.

Thank you pware and philskene for your replies and insight. I am going to work toward the release the route with a free session, so people can look around, and then add some payware sessions. Seems your logic about letting people see the quality can't be disputed, so there it is.

As far as how to do the payware thing, or how to lock it? Well pware says it best...

Send a request to the Helpdesk.

Thanks again people...

"As you are an upload newbie, users will want to see the quality of your work before they are willing to hand over money."

My thoughts exactly. As a potential purchaser I'd certainly like to gauge the quality of the product before buying.

Okay, since this discussion I have released 4 Routes and 3 Sessions for free, available in game or from the download center. The one I released this year is 'CDE Oil Refinery West' and a 'Tour' Session. I will release a few more that are almost ready very soon, and Then I am going to merge them and build some sessions, and try to release as Payware.

As everyone here seems to be in consensus that there should be some free stuff before they would buy, any testing and opinions would be great to see what you all think of the quality of the Route(s). Full list of routes currently available at my website CDETrainz.com

Still looking for any insight on how to submit the Payware one. Is all I really need to do is contact the help desk? Is there any kind of documentation on what is different or extra that can/should be done to it before submitting it? I know that I can add 3 thumbnails on the payware one, that don't work on the freeware ones, as I learned in another discussion. That is the only difference i am aware of so far.

Thank you all again for all the help you have given me over the years.

Np

Site still works, it should've given you a login page so you could login using your Trainz username and password.

Also what whitepass said in the post under mind, they may be only taking trs19 builds now, so you might want to get a copy of trs19. The regional editions will work since you are only allowed to use the built-in content in the core game (after installation), can't use the additional downloaded content, so it won't make sense to spend much.

Cheers

I know that I can add 3 thumbnails on the payware one, that don't work on the freeware ones, as I learned in another discussion. That is the only difference i am aware of so far.
This is not true.

I have a few routes and sessions on the DLS that will show 3 thumbs.
The problem is the 2nd and 3rd don't show up until a route or session is redownloaded.

You can even add those 3 thumbs to a TS12 upload. TS12 will only show 1 thumb, but when downloaded into TANE it will show 3.

Np

Site still works, it should've given you a login page so you could login using your Trainz username and password.

Also what whitepass said in the post under mind, they may be only taking trs19 builds now, so you might want to get a copy of trs19. The regional editions will work since you are only allowed to use the built-in content in the core game (after installation), can't use the additional downloaded content, so it won't make sense to spend much.

Cheers

I have TRS19 and they are built with no payware, AND they are fully tested with TRS19 and work great, so no problem.

Here is the problem with the TCCP;

I get this screen below, after I click login, i immediately get a blank white page and nothing happens. The blank white page shows as loaded, but if you try to view source, there is none, it is an incomplete http response.

Trainz TCCP Login.png

I see what you mean.

I just tried it (my other posts were from my phone) and I'm also getting the blan white page error. I'm going to guess N3V broke it :hehe:
Now serious, they are working on the portal, not sure.

I'll let them know since I have their email address.

Cheers

This is not true.

I have a few routes and sessions on the DLS that will show 3 thumbs.
The problem is the 2nd and 3rd don't show up until a route or session is redownloaded.

You can even add those 3 thumbs to a TS12 upload. TS12 will only show 1 thumb, but when downloaded into TANE it will show 3.

Thanks for that, that helps clarify that topic.

Sounds like your browser is blocking it for some reason. Try a different browser or lower your security settings.

William

Back