Why don't passengers get off at stations?

penguin_k

Trainz driver
(Sorry in advance, this will sound really newbie!)

I've managed to set up the AJS invisible stations and my trains are successfully picking up passengers. I know that you can set the rate at which passengers 'spawn' at stations and therefore how busy trains are, but I can't figure out how to make the passengers get off again.

For example, I have a train that has a capacity of 60 passengers. I have 5 stations along the route, each with 20 passengers at the platform. When I get to the 3rd station, my train is full and no more passengers can board. Why won't some of them get off at random stations so that others can get on further along the line?

Thanks in advance

The 20 passengers visible on platforms are just that, they are not the total amount of passengers waiting to board the train. It is the same with passengers that leave the train, only a small amount will be seen on the platform. The visible passengers are created by att points in the mesh and then entered in the station config. The number of passengers a station has is in passenger script which I think can range from 10 to 255. Scripts will determine the number of passengers that board or leave the train based on the type of platform used, Terminal, Large and small.

Last edited:
This whole thing is stranger than I thought!

With passenger loads it does not matter. The Load command is the same as the Unload command (unless there was a change made in TANE).

I just happen to be working up a session and testing things so I clicked on my passenger trains till I got one that was pulling into a station and I watched it.

I usually program the trains to go to station, UNLOAD, WAIT for two minutes, LOAD, proceed to the next station.

I didn't know that the LOAD, UNLOAD commands were the same thing. but it seemed to work that way, although, I am a little disappointed that more passengers do not get off at each station.

Approaching the station, all 5 cars had a full load of 56 passengers.

After stopping, the unload dropped the number down to 45 in each of the first two and 46 in the other three but the reported number on platform stayed at 80 all through the wait and load. Then there is that little customary wait till the numbers update

After the two minute wait, the LOAD happened and the cars reported 39, 40, 46, 46, and 46 passengers for a short time and then they jumped up to 55, 56, 56, 56, and 56. Shortly after that the platform reported to have 33 and a few seconds later all the way down to 3. The platform says that it can have 120 departing passengers on it at peak time but it doesn't say what time that would be but in this look at my route, the game clock said it was 7:22 AM.

It seems strange to me that the platform number doesn't jump from 80 to something like the extra 52 that the sum of individual cars reported getting off but then that would be 12 more than the 120 but 120 is supposed to be " departing " passengers not arriving passengers!

I have always looked at this a little thinking that I am trying to meet supply and demand with my carrying capacities but it seems that Trainz uses funny math.

When other industries have a specified capacity I always assumed that it accurately depicted the amounts accepted like when the coal cars stop dumping when the power plant coal yard is full but when you tell these trains to unload passengers, they don't unload all passengers.

I'm still having fun though!

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
The number you set in the platform properties is the number of visible passengers the creator has placed in the platform mesh. This amount is only for the number of passengers waiting to board the train. passengers leaving the train can be seen on the platform but are not counted in any totals. The number is determined by the type of station you have set it up to be. Open your trainz folder and the resources folder. Scroll down to scripts and open, then scroll down and open passengerstationinfo.gs to see the percentages used and the number of passengers.

Is there somewhere a detailed info of how to set up these stations? Is easy to set them up using your logic. But There is no info of what they mean with large, medium or small station. Then I use AJS stations and it has a feature where you can have more than one track controlled by one station (several). How do you do it? The info in he menus don't explain it. Further, there is a command that has an icon showing doors, and it allows you to get to the station and open doors, left or right or both for any time you set. Very complete command. However using it sometimes stops the train at the center where the loco is, not in the middle of the consist. Then, if you issue a "drive to" the particular station, the consist stops right and sometimes it opens the doors. Then there is the question of how many passengers will load. Or unload.. a little confusing, but somehow it works even if not perfect or how you would think it should. Again, has someone made a detailed description of how to use it?

One thing to note is not all rolling stock actually carry any products. Some don't carry anything. One example is the N&W Passenger cars built-in TS12 and I think they are in T:ANE too. However, they are purely decorative unless you add the passenger product to them. Which is what I might do. I wish people would make ALL cars have products in them because that just makes sense. Why would you make a car that hauls absolutely nothing? One of the main focal points of Trainz is that you have real working industries that actually produce products. If you have a car that loads nothing, you really can't use that feature with that car then.

Last edited:
Back