What is our definition of "Trains"

I've wondered many times what exactly do they mean when they say "Maximum Trains On Route" ? I always assumed that they meant consists that had engines and drivers and did not count all the strings of cars spread around a route. If they do mean every consist, then that might be my problem if they tweaked the removal process to prevent new AI from emitting?

I've updated to Build 90945 to try and fix my problem of the steamers not emitting and I run my previously created session, I still have the problem of the AI not coming out of the Portals. This applies to Steam Engines only, Diesels do emit! ( that don't make no sense !)

Thanks

Wild Willy the Wacko

Last edited:
The most commonly used meaning of the term "number of trains in a route" would be the number of rail vehicles that can have a driver assigned to them in the Driver Setup Rule. So a string of wagons parked on a siding or in a yard would not count if there was no locomotive attached. Whether or not there is a maximum number of trains would, in my opinion only, probably depend on system resources such as the available RAM, etc - but that is purely a guess on my part.

I do recall seeing posts detailing problems some users are having with portals in TANE but as I tend to use them to remove trains, not emit new trains, I have not noticed any such problems myself.

The most commonly used meaning of the term "number of trains in a route" would be the number of rail vehicles that can have a driver assigned to them in the Driver Setup Rule. So a string of wagons parked on a siding or in a yard would not count if there was no locomotive attached. Whether or not there is a maximum number of trains would, in my opinion only, probably depend on system resources such as the available RAM, etc - but that is purely a guess on my part.

I do recall seeing posts detailing problems some users are having with portals in TANE but as I tend to use them to remove trains, not emit new trains, I have not noticed any such problems myself.

If you were to try and set up AI traffic emitting from the Portals, one of the first things in the default Properties box is a place to configure the max number and it's only a two place number with a default number of 25 which I always thought to be a ridiculous option since the average session published anywhere seems very limited.

On the other hand, a guy like me who runs what we used to call open-ended sessions in MSTS and tries to put a lot of AI in so that anywhere we are on the route we won't be out there all alone, depending on how the game itself defines them, I might run into a problem with only a max of 99 trains.

Thanks for the reply!

Willy

Last edited:
Back