Multiple Industry Basic

Mick_Berg

Multiple Industry New

Hi.

Since I started with Trainz UTC about ten years ago I have never come to grips with the Multiple Industry New. What I am trying to do is this. I have a coal train with five wagons, that I would like to drive to five small coalyards, emptying one wagon at each yard. The wagons have a capacity of 19400 units. I have set the yard to consume 19400 units of coal at each yard. Which should empty one of the wagons at each yard, should it not?

I don't understand the concept of "Consumes every 30 seconds" but changing it seems to have no effect.
Some explanation and/or advice would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll go back to Blender and PBR materials which seem to be easier than getting this to work!:hehe:

Thanks,
Mick

Last edited:
Consumes refers to the reduction in the amount the MIP holds. If you consume 100 every 30 seconds your 19400 you unloaded will fall by 100 until it is empty. If you return and there is still coal being held then the wagon will only unload enough to make it full again.

What I would do is set each MIN queue size to 19400 but leave the queue empty. When the train arrives it should unload one wagon-worth and the queue should then be full. If you set the queue consumption to 500 every 30 seconds then it consumes 1000 per minute. It should then take 19.4 minutes to empty.

As stagecoach says, if the MIN isn't empty when you return then there will be coal left in the wagon.

I haven't tried setting up any of this, it is only theory so it might behave differently. It might be necessary to fiddle with the queue size or load description in the Products tab (Tonnes, Litres, Items). The load in tonnes is different from the load in units.

Regards - Trevor

Thanks guys. I had been laboring under an illusion for the last ten years and finally it clicked. I was not understanding the meaning of "consume". Now it is all working reasonably well, just some interesting inaccuracies in the arithmetic, but that doesn't bother me. If you set the capacity of the MIN to 19400 units, which is the capacity of the coal wagon, it will actually take 19,800 units, stealing 400 units from the next wagon. So by the time the train gets to the fifth MIN you are 2000 units down. But as I say this doesn't matter. Now I'm going to see if I can get two products going.

Cheers,
Mick

OR...
Before reaching the coal yard, uncouple between the first and second coal car. Drive to the coal yard, unload, recouple, drive to a point before the next coal yard, uncouple between the second and third coal car, drive the one empty and one loaded to the yard, unload, etc.

That's a lot of coding but makes for an interesting "session".

Back