Head set not working

ktain.ny

EDIT

First I made this thread. Then it seemed the issue had fixed itself. Now its back with a vengence. And so now this thread is to.

So basically I was playing some battlefield, enjoying life and my nice new Corsair Void, when after loading up farcry 4, it seems as if there was no audio coming from my headset. After a closer listen, it seems as if there is, but its so queit its like a mouse whisper. So using my problem solving expertise, I rebooted my PC, to no avail. I switched speakers from the headset to my monitors default speakers, which worked like normal. I followed some tutorials online, and then it just started working. So then I did a few tweaks with the program that it comes with, and everything seemed ok. That was, until I attempted to play Battlefield 4, and then the whole thing started all over again.

The stuff I changed was still enabled, and so I'm at a loss for what to do.

Last edited:
ktain.ny - Could be that your GPU drivers have added their own HDMI audio drivers instead of your usual one. That often happens to me when I update my NVidia drivers.
Instead of my usual discrete ASUS Xonar sound card, this new driver runs via the HDMI channel on my GPU to the speakers on the monitor. Sounds awful compared to my audiophile quality surround sound speaker system!
To check, right-click the speaker icon on the bottom right of your taskbar and see which playback device is now set as the default.
Set your new Corsair Void headset to the correct sound output device and enjoy.

One other possibility that just occurred to me is that you might also need a discrete headphone amplifier for your new headset as the output jack you're using is not amplified. (Suggest Read the manual that came with the new kit regarding its output impedance).

Last edited:
Do your speakers still work ?

When I update my sound drivers it wipes out my sound playback

Updated drivers is not always the best choice

Sounds like you need to go into the audio settings for Battlefield 4 to make some adjustments there. It appears to be outputting to the wrong audio device, or you need to set the volume levels there.
Software drives hardware - so you need to set it up in the software.
If it is working elsewhere, then you probably don't need a pre-amp or amp/DAC.

Regarding amplifiers and pre-amps/ amp/DACs etc. for certain headphones - these intermediary devices are sometimes needed for high-end audiophile headphone sets, or even for getting the best possible quality audio out of your smartphone.
Examples here:
https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/accessories/best-headphone-amplifiers
and here:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/category/portable-headphone-amplifier-reviews

Last edited:
Well it all seems to be working for whatever strange reason now. I dunno why. I'll return here and takke up some of these suggestions if I have another issue with it.

Back