Content I would like to commision for the price the content creater and idecide upon

David412

Hi there fellow trainzers, I have a content commision request on my terms they are:

Robert Stephensons Rocket, its tender with an animated coal load modelled at the same high quality that trainboi1's models are produced in.

The Rockets special coaches also in said quality showing people in the coaches.

Custome interior for the Rocket.

Can only pay at the end after the content is produced as I don't have a payment plan or a credit card, paypal account a part from asking my dad if he could use his for the content i purchase.

If anyones interested then don't hesitate to pm me on here.

Hi there fellow trainzers, I have a content commision request on my terms they are:

Robert Stephensons Rocket, its tender with an animated coal load modelled at the same high quality that trainboi1's models are produced in.

The Rockets special coaches also in said quality showing people in the coaches.

Custome interior for the Rocket.

Can only pay at the end after the content is produced as I don't have a payment plan or a credit card, paypal account a part from asking my dad if he could use his for the content i purchase.

If anyones interested then don't hesitate to pm me on here.

https://www.blender.org/

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Blender

Reality check:

There is a Rocket floating around. To build one from scratch you're talking about two hundred hours work, say another hundred for the cab. The carriages would probably be open wagons with benches, fairly easy to modify an existing .blend source. The closed carriages depending on the quality anything from a few hours work to a hundred or two hours each.

Minimum wage these days is $15 an hour, or about ten quid an hour. So four hundred hours at minimum wage and you're talking about $6,000 or 4,000 quid. Graphic artists typically earn twice minimum wage by the way so you're now talking in terms of $12,000 for your set. I suspect no one will take on a commission for $12,000 without some assurance they will get paid.

You might be interested this site:

http://www.ballynagarrick.net/ing4trainz/index.htm

https://trainz-forge.com/ has trainboi1's work and contains some payware.

There are a number of people who sell payware of a lesser standard or who take an off the shelf high poly Blender source and make a model out of it. These do require something like a GTX 1080 ti though to run smoothly.

Cheerio John

Why are railfans so hung up on freakin' steam locomotives???

Probably because (and certainly in the case of the UK) there was a far greater variety of steam engines than there were diesel engines and as a result there are lot of significant gaps in what is available, either payware or freeware.

On another note, I do find it sad the way people are jumped on now on this forum for requesting content. For sure, the "I WANT THIS NOW FOR NOTHING" brigade need teaching some manners, but when someone politely asks if anyone is interested in building a commission?

Given that it's getting harder to create models to current standards I sincerely hope that we do get some more payware creators on the scene - user screenshots of Trainz 2018/19/20 will undoubtedly look absolutely marvellous right up until the point the TRS2004 era train pulls up into the station......

I'm not having a go at anyone, just airing my personal view.

All the best,

Anthony

Given that it's getting harder to create models to current standards I sincerely hope that we do get some more payware creators on the scene - user screenshots of Trainz 2018/19/20 will undoubtedly look absolutely marvellous right up until the point the TRS2004 era train pulls up into the station......

I'm not having a go at anyone, just airing my personal view.

All the best,

Anthony

That's one of my concerns as well how do we get new content that's made to the highest standard? I think my post was just trying to lower some expectations to realistic levels. If the money is there then it can be done but even then I seem to recall an DMU / EMU where the modelling was done but getting a script to make the doors work etc caused problems.

I think Ron mentioned his last work was commissioned so there is a grey area between paying the full price and nudging someone in the right direction.

We need to get more experience in the new materials and textures. My feeling is more and more it takes a group of people to create these days and that complicates things when it comes to commissions. How much is a engine spec worth compared to the textures. Freeware can recycle things like scripts and so forth which have to be licensed for payware. Will it be released onto the DLS or available as payware.

There used to be a curse "May you live in interesting times" I suspect we might just have arrived.

Cheerio John

Why not steam

Why not like steam? You like to model modern, I like to model late steam/transition era. The equipment used then is awesome.

Last edited:
... I think Ron mentioned his last work was commissioned so there is a grey area between paying the full price and nudging someone in the right direction. ...

Indeed it was a nudge, I had a previous interest in the wagons but the payment was a push for me to bring those wagons to the top of my priorities. Had I been comissioned to do any sort of non-British rolling stock I might have charged 20x simply because my interest isn't there.

My view on it all is that commission-then-free-release assets > payware assets as, the main pull factor of Trainz is the free content. If like mentioned on another thread many people pool their money for a commission then release it free, it would be the best for everyone.

On the topic of commissions is it possible to commission anything other than stock? I would like a high-quality enginesound for a loco/series that is found on many preserved UK railways. I am considering reaching out to Armstrong Powerhouse, creator of many high-qual. enginesounds for the other simulator.

On the topic of commissions is it possible to commission anything other than stock? I would like a high-quality enginesound for a loco/series that is found on many preserved UK railways. I am considering reaching out to Armstrong Powerhouse, creator of many high-qual. enginesounds for the other simulator.

I'd leave a message in Trainz carriage works you might be lucky. I have some photos that were taken on request by one of the members in an electric wheel chair or possibly talk nicely to the OP and see if you can find a match.

Cheerio John

No, it is a diesel loco, the Peaks to be specific, many examples are preserved at:

• Midland Railway Butterley
• Peak Rail Matlock
• ELR
• GCR
• Barrow Hill

I am not sure where these are in relation to other cities, but I've posted up on TCWW so it may be easier and less "off-topic" if we take this there ;) .

Your talking about one of the very first early steam locomotives built in the 1800S I assume.

I believe he's talking about this:
22h.jpg

I recommend posting a pic of what you want no one knows what you're talking about. Its already been done look on DLS "Rocket <KUID2:55976:57:1>"

Last edited:
I like the crowd funding idea to pay creators a worthwhile fee for a DLS rolling stock asset that people want. As others have said it looks more and more like creating quality assets for the next version of Trainz will be a skill that fewer and fewer of us will have.

But the $50 offer in another thread for someone to start building a locomotive that started this discussion was, I thought, an insult for all creators who have given their work freely to the community. To me it said that your work is worth nothing although I do not believe that this was the intention of the original poster.

I like the crowd funding idea to pay creators a worthwhile fee for a DLS rolling stock asset that people want. As others have said it looks more and more like creating quality assets for the next version of Trainz will be a skill that fewer and fewer of us will have.

But the $50 offer in another thread for someone to start building a locomotive that started this discussion was, I thought, an insult for all creators who have given their work freely to the community. To me it said that your work is worth nothing although I do not believe that this was the intention of the original poster.

I think we understand how to build meshes but its the new textures that are the problem to me. There have been a couple of items made for the DLS that I know of for cash but in both cases its been things on the content creator's to do list or something that could be made from their bit box fairly easily. Things like the rocket are difficult as Blue's isn't bad so you wouldn't sell many payware versions when the DLS version is reasonable. Well the draw call count at 54 is high and at 21,000 polys with no lod you might not want to use it on a lower end machine but it looks not too bad.

Cheerio John

The moving parts, the smoke, the steam, sounds and smells. Steam trains are beyond awesome!

Agreed. They are the closest a machine can get to a living breathing organism - the "pant" of the compressor - like the breath of a beast, the beat of the exhaust - like its heart beat - the release of a steam valve - like its f#rt :eek: (sorry, this is a family thread)

Back