New Siemens single-level cars for the Midwest & California

PerRock

Moderator - Read the CoC!
Due to the original design requirements for the Bi-Level cars being unbuild-able, the contract holder Sumitomo reached an agreement with the states involved and switched designs & builder from Nippon Sharyo to Siemens.

CalTrans, one of the purchasers released an presentation recently with pictures of what their cars will look like. The Midwest cars will look the same baring some color differences & different paint.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/transprog/ctcbooks/2017/1217/Presentations/Tab52_Single_level_Railcar.pdf

peter

Between Chargers and now this train set, Amtrak California is sure getting ugly looking.

Who cares how it looks? It's new, modern equipment that is sorely needed along the heavily traveled corridors in Michigan, California, and Illinois.

For the record, I think the Charger and coaches are sweet. I wish they had the dutch doors for the conductors to be able to see platform conditions better but other than that they look sweet.

The cab car is...questionable. But I'm sure a standardized setup between both ends is probably for the best.

Back