AI Trains won't whistle or honk at crossings?

Fanoftrains1

I have a problem. My AI trains won't whistle or honk at crossings. The only map that it does work on is the TrainzItalia Sherman Hill route, and it also automatically does so for the crossings when I'm driving a train myself. I've heard about a whistle sign from a previous version, but I can't seem to find it on the DLS, and I'm kind of stuck with it. Please help!

There are a number of whistle/horn signs that are built into TANE and are designed for placement alongside the track. One such example, which has both left and right side versions, is

<kuid2:103475:23007:1> VR whistle board Tside - LHS
<kuid2:103475:23006:1> VR whistle board Tside - RHS

There are also signs that are invisible in Driver.

My suggestion is to open a route in Surveyor (if it is not a payware route and therefore "locked") and have a look at the track approaching a crossing (it could be several hundred metres out) to see what signs (if any) are present.

I have not heard of a situation where an AI loco will obey a whistle/horn sign in one route but not in another. Also, my understanding is that only AI locos will obey whistle/horn signs (visible or not). In a manually driven loco the driver (you) has to manually sound the whistle/horn on passing such a sign. On routes with a large number of AI trains running, it is possible by sheer chance alone that the horn you are hearing when your manually driven train approaches a crossing is from an AI train approaching a different nearby crossing.

Another thought. It is quite possible that the routes where your AI trains don't sound on approach to a crossing do not have whistle/horn signs installed at the crossings. This would have been a deliberate decision or a simple omission by the creators of those routes.

There is also an invisible horn sound sequence.

Look for these assets by dricketts.

<kuid:135229:100378> Invisible Horn Sequence
<kuid:135229:100384> Invisible Horn, single long blast

I had installed some the other week, with a visable horn sign. They work pretty good, though the AI train only blows the horn once though. Not sure which ones I installed, found them on the DLS though.

I had installed some the other week, with a visable horn sign. They work pretty good, though the AI train only blows the horn once though. Not sure which ones I installed, found them on the DLS though.

Normally, one whistle/horn sign = one blast. Place two signs a short distance apart to get two blasts.

Get "Autohornz Invisible C" and place it on the desired distance from the track, make sure it's pointing in the direction of the train's travel, and it'll make AI blow their hornsound, whether it's a steam or diesel or electric, while passing over the trackmark, place multiple times after each other to allow the train to blow their horns more than once. Realistically in terms of how trains sound their horns in Australia, it'll be once while passing the whistle board 444 yards from the crossing, (406m) and once before passing over the crossing.

With Union Pacific in America they sound, a Long, Long, Short, Long sequence, the only way to emulate that in Trainz would be to place the 4 invisible horns. Make sure to put them at a distance where they won't overlay.

Last edited:
Would overlapping two horn signs give you a longer blast? If so then it would become a matter of trial and error to get the Long, Long, Short, Long sequence such as:-

<horn sign><horn sign> gap <horn sign><horn sign> gap <horn sign> gap <horn sign><horn sign>

where only the first <horn sign> would be visible.

Have noticed some Horn Kuids Blow/sound longer than others also, so the above sample or others would a real try and error to get it to work right.

The locos in Trainz do not whistle or blow the horn at crossings automatically because they were never programed to do so. If you want a loco to whistle at a crossing, put a "whistle" sign on the track to make locomotives whistle when they come near it. You can set the trigger radius of it too. Some whistle signs are just decorative. Remember to look on the mini map in Surveyor to see if the sign shows up as a trigger. If it is you know that is a working whistle sign.

The locos in Trainz do not whistle or blow the horn at crossings automatically because they were never programed to do so. If you want a loco to whistle at a crossing, put a "whistle" sign on the track to make locomotives whistle when they come near it. You can set the trigger radius of it too. Some whistle signs are just decorative. Remember to look on the mini map in Surveyor to see if the sign shows up as a trigger. If it is you know that is a working whistle sign.

Already discussed this in the thread

The asset I mentioned have the long, long, short, long horn sequence the OP I believe is interested int.

Simply place them in the direction of travel like a direction marker, except they're green.

The asset I mentioned have the long, long, short, long horn sequence the OP I believe is interested int.

Simply place them in the direction of travel like a direction marker, except they're green.

Does it activate the AI's horn on is it a sound that's played when the AI passes over it? If it's the AI's horn then that's what the OP needs instead of the other suggestions.

Does it activate the AI's horn on is it a sound that's played when the AI passes over it? If it's the AI's horn then that's what the OP needs instead of the other suggestions.

It activates the AI driver's horn, which is whatever kind the engine has for its horn sound. I agree this is most likely what he's looking for.

I use this asset all the time and it works great.

These two items were really great, but it appears as though they have quit working with the last T:ANE update. I added them to a new layout and they didn't work. I went back to a layout they they were working on and nothing. So SP3 appears to have broken these two horn triggers:

These two items were really great, but it appears as though they have quit working with the last T:ANE update. I added them to a new layout and they didn't work. I went back to a layout they they were working on and nothing. So SP3 appears to have broken these two horn triggers:

They work fine for me and I unfortunately I have no answer to your problem.

Did you try deleting them and placing them again?

Back