Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NS Pittsburgh Line: East (WIP, large images)

Default NS Pittsburgh Line: East (WIP, large images)

Skip the next paragraph if you don't care to read some backstory.

I know I'm not a frequent poster on the forums, but lately I've been itching to make some kind of contribution. A few years ago, I started a WIP thread on Norfolk Southern's Buffalo Line, my hometown route that I had been working on on-and-off at the time. Unfortunately, my desktop had an unexpected and irreparable hard drive failure last year that cost me everything, including the base DEM for the route. Disheartened, I stopped playing Trainz. Recently, however, because my desktop had been going on 6 years old (and low-end to begin with), I experimented with running TANE on my laptop. I found that on the lowest settings it runs comparable if not slightly better than Trainz 12 on the desktop, and because of this, I desperately wanted to get back into route building. I found that a DEM of Altoona to Harrisburg exists on the DLS, and, since there is evidence that Jointed Rail may be releasing the Horseshoe Curve in the near future, I thought it appropriate to continue the Pittsburgh Line east. I am worried about framerates, so I'm splitting the route at Lewistown, which is about the midway point between Harrisburg and Altoona. The segment I've started working on is from Harrisburg to Lewistown, as its closest to home.

I decided to go with an autumn theme. I've always felt there's been a lack of autumn routes and since its also my favorite season, why not. I don't have much completed as of now, but I wanted to share anyway.
    Scenery, quality of screenshots, and frequency of updates may be a limited until I can save up enough for a new computer and have the time (being a college student is fun ).

Rockville Bridge

Marysville

Much ado about nothing.

Forgot one.

East end of Rockville Bridge
    Much ado about nothing.

Blog Entries

Nice work! I'll be keeping an eye on this project

Blog Entries

Really nice work , I'll be doing the same on this project What time are you going for ?

Matt

work hard, Play harder

I am modelling around 2013 to 2015. I wanted to do the line before PTC was installed and the Pennsy signal replacement was in full swing, not to mention and all of the information I have on Harrisburg's intermodal yard is from after it was renovated in 2012-13.
    Much ado about nothing.

Cool Good to see you back with us.......

Nice looking route, and Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year, because when the weather is cooling from a hot summer to Cool or Chilly weather, mother nature does this translation of Tree Leaves into amazing colors, just like yours look on the Route.

Sorry to hear about the CPU Crash, been thru that before, no one really understands till it happens to them and they lose valuable un-replacable work or pictures.

Glad to see you back, and your Route looks very promising.

Thanks for sharing your progress and keep those pictures coming when you have a chance!

Great screenshots
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; January 12th, 2018 at 02:08 AM.

West end of Harrisburg intermodal terminal

My attempt at kitbashing the Harrisburg fuel depot
    Much ado about nothing.

Interlocking at CP Banks. The signals on tracks 2 and D are oddballs; the lower heads are round, which is a rarity across the PRR system. There's another like these facing southbound on the gantry visible at the top of this screenshot. I used rrsignal's N&W signals as placeholders until I can make my own, since the aspects are incorrect for these particular signals.
    Much ado about nothing.

Looks cool! May I ask what you are using as the Rockville Bridge. Seems perfect for the area.

SAM VS viaduct v5
    Much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9 View Post
    SAM VS viaduct v5
    Thank you.

I haven't had much time to work lately because of classes, but I have managed to make some decent progress in Harrisburg. So much to do...
    Also, I've switched to JR's light grey track. There isn't as much variety as the NS tracks, but the ballast is much closer to what we have around here.

Although my content creation skills are limited, I want to eventually attempt to create the passenger terminal in Harrisburg (and some PRR catenaries to boot, this scene looks really barren without them). If anyone knows of blueprints or some kind of basic construction diagrams that are publicly available of the structure, I'd love to hear about them (PRR historical society maybe?).

Much ado about nothing.

This is very, very, very early in the process, but I found a whole slew of scanned diagrams from the Library of Congress. Should be smooth sailing from here.

Much ado about nothing.

Quick update:

Not much visual progress lately. I've mainly been correcting grades, naming junctions, testing signals, and swapping ground textures in areas I already have complete.

Testing Trainz Gallery since hostthenpost is gone.

Much ado about nothing.