Fifty bucks up for grabs for a commission

ktain.ny

Hello all. Here is a consideration for you content creators out there.

Since there is no decent model of an ATSF 3751 class northern locomotive, Id like to commission one. I’ve come into some cash, and 50 dollars in the amount if like to pay for having it modeled. Obviously I’d like the detail to be decent, but nothing crazy. I’m open to other offers within reason, but 50 seems very fair to me.

50 seems very fair to me.

No offense intended, but 50 dollars for a commissioned model is not (even remotely) fair. I say this because I'm not certain you're aware of what's entailed to create a model.

Some models take hundreds of hours to build, no less an elaborate steam locomotive and all it's attachments from scratch.

Even a reskin can take several hours to perfect.

The posts were not negative but realistic. Everyone wants something cheap or free, it is not that way anymore. Spending 2 years on a route or an engine is worth more than $50.

Last edited:
Not that it is any reliable guide, but I did a search of the DLS to see how many locomotives (or anything for that matter) that had been created and uploaded by the OP. The result of that search is a possible indication as to why he considered $50 to be fair compensation for creating a locomotive.

If the loc is only for himself then 50 dollar is way too cheap.

If he wants someone to START creating such a steam loc and if ready the creator can sell it to the rest of world then 50 bucks is ok.

What is the price of a super detailed locomotive?

Look at JR (also lots of FREE stuff)
Look at K&L (also lots of FREE stuff)
Look at TrainzForge (also lots of FREE stuff)
Look at N3V Trainz Store (also lots of FREE stuff)
Look at TrainzMarket (also lots of FREE stuff)
Etc. Etc.

You can get complete trains with multiple locs in one pack and lots of different cars/wagons.
All for a few dollars/euro.

Look at the DLS (Everything for FREE)

So what is the problem to give someone a push to start a new project?

Last edited:
Don't give up hope justyet ktain.

Just because the firstfew responses have been negative doesn't mean nobody would make yourmodel at that price. You never know, somebody might already beworking on one that they could make available to you.

I think it's nice thatyou're offering to pay for something rather than the usual “I wantone of these for free “ requests.

Chris.

The posts were not negative but realistic. Everyone wants something cheap or free, it is not that way anymore. Spending 2 years on a route or an engine is worth more than $50.

If every content creator thought that way there would be nothing on the DLS, so if somebody's willing to make content for free why is the offer of 50 bucks such a bad deal?
I applaud the fact that ktain is willing to pay, and if one or two others wanted the same loco perhaps they could club together to offer more.

P.S. I meant negative as in they wouldn't consider the job at the price offered.

Chris.

More than likely, a creator like Steve Lerro, would take on the commission, and once completed the creator would still retain rights to the loco, and would continue to charge future customers $5, $10, $15, $20 per loco

Last edited:
Hello all. Here is a consideration for you content creators out there. Since there is no decent model of an ATSF 3751 class northern locomotive, Id like to commission one. I’ve come into some cash, and 50 dollars in the amount if like to pay for having it modeled. Obviously I’d like the detail to be decent, but nothing crazy. I’m open to other offers within reason, but 50 seems very fair to me.

For a young lad, $50 can be a lot of money. Rather than knocking the lad, I commend him for not being one of these "make me this steam loco for free, and by the way, I want it now". Gimme, gimme, gimme!!! Hopefully a few other Trainzers might be interested in the same loco, and be prepared to fork out some cash for it as well. Good luck lad...

Cheers, Mac...

Back