Tasmanian content creation

Great look and great sound!

Thanks for sharing.

I have started creating this loco tonight! This is about 4 hours work.
y%20for%20Brad%202_zpsu52ijndt.jpg

There's been a lot of changes to the Tasmanian railway lately hence the runaway cement train derailment and a new customer on-board and was wondering if anyone would be ever interested in creating some new Tasmanian content? They've brought back old locomotives and rolling stock. I'm forever appreciate of any Tasmanian content that gets made and use it regularly.

Last edited:
That’s why nobody respond, you keep asking for someone else to do some trains for you which is bad

It just annoys me that half the Tasmanian content that gets started never gets finished, Tasmanian content isn't really huge in Trainz and stuff that gets made is because of Tasmanian projects but I fully play with Tasmanian content.

Because modeling is hard and time consuming but you don’t care about it I mean you think that people will do the work for ya... why don’t you try at least... oh yeah I forgot you’re too lazy

Because modeling is hard and time consuming but you don’t care about it I mean you think that people will do the work for ya... why don’t you try at least... oh yeah I forgot you’re too lazy

I do understand it's hard to do and very time consuming but I also believe it's that Tasmanian content isn't everyone's taste and they may not enjoy modelling it. It also wouldn't help that I constantly write about it asking which would annoy people yourself included.

Gentlemen, we seem to easily forget that this is a hobby. As such people's interest will vary and change.

Tasmanian content is a "niche" area of Trainz and, as the Tasmania rail system is both isolated (and seemingly forever shrinking) and little known, it generates little interest plus it is a narrow gauge system. It does not have the "wow" factor of heavy haulage high speed freight and VFT passenger services (in fact apart from a few preserved railways, it has no passenger services). All of which makes it very difficult to find creators who are interested.

Bradley, there is nothing wrong with asking (politely and infrequently) and eventually someone may come to the party. In the meantime any regional NG42 rolling stock can be used. After all, throughout most of its history the TGR acquired a lot of second hand rolling stock, including locos, from other NG system in Australia and NZ. Only the purists would notice.

Tasmania is perhaps better known for its apples and the "Tasmanian Devil" of Bugs Bunny cartoon fame.

Gentlemen, we seem to easily forget that this is a hobby. As such people's interest will vary and change.

Tasmanian content is a "niche" area of Trainz and, as the Tasmania rail system is both isolated (and seemingly forever shrinking) and little known, it generates little interest plus it is a narrow gauge system. It does not have the "wow" factor of heavy haulage high speed freight and VFT passenger services (in fact apart from a few preserved railways, it has no passenger services). All of which makes it very difficult to find creators who are interested.

Bradley, there is nothing wrong with asking (politely and infrequently) and eventually someone may come to the party. In the meantime any regional NG42 rolling stock can be used. After all, throughout most of its history the TGR acquired a lot of second hand rolling stock, including locos, from other NG system in Australia and NZ. Only the purists would notice.

Tasmania is perhaps better known for its apples and the "Tasmanian Devil" of Bugs Bunny cartoon fame.

That's what I thought Pware and thankyou very much for confirming that.

It's the Trainz routes in Tasmania that I wish there was more of, the current routes are very good and I constantly use them with the content available for Tasmania but I wish there was another route that gets used regularly with trains in Tasmania so I can sync in the running with the real train, I do this with the Fingal line route regularly. I understand route creators are extremely busy and there's an enormous amount of work that goes into routes and they often make a couple at a time. As for rolling stock for Tasmania there's a lot of TGR stuff which is great, not a heap of TasRail stuff however.

Trains in Tasmania can go up to 70kph but being narrow gauge and with a lot of tight curves and steep gradients means it's a slower railway compared to the mainland. One of my favourite parts of the railway in Tasmania is the Ryndaston area between Parattah and Colebrook where the gradient is extremely steep and it's very curvy so when you look out your side window you could possibly see your train in another direction and going through the Ryndaston tunnel. I don't believe there's a transdem available for the Parattah to Colebrook section whether anyone can confirm that I'm not sure.

FYI here is a cab video of the Parattah to Colebrook section on an early summer's morning descending down the gradient at Ryndaston https://youtu.be/gf7PR85h05A

I hope you enjoy watching it!

Guys,

I'm going to stick my neck out here.

I'm currently making the WCWR stock following a polite request from Bradley. It is taking me longer than he or I anticipated, mainly due to my old age and the quality of the drawings available. Anyway, if and when I get finished I will need a project, naturally narrow gauge, so I think I could tackle the Tassie trains.

Consider this, which is best, quick and simple and many in a short time or high definition and slow production. I am not an accomplished texturer, I don't like doing it.

I propose the following:-
All interested people come together in a group.
I am given decent drawings, if drawings are not available, someone will create them from photos.
I will create the meshes, which I enjoy, do a quick and easy decoration and hand them over to someone else to detail. Details include sounds, load details etc. I work in Max, but I have an untested Max to Blender converter which could help, I may also be able supply the files in Gmax format.
I suggest that we aim for T:ane level of detail and build, and so that multiple people can work on them, we have a dedicated web site where KUIDS don't matter.

The final meshes will belong to the group.

Thoughts?

Just a thing to consider aside, I will be 90 in January to let's do this while I am willing and able.

Peter

PS. A group can have a group KUID so all creations can be uploaded under that number which anyone can use.

Last edited:
Not sure of the time period you are aiming for with this project but i do have drawings for the X Class ZA/ZB and ZC Loco's I also had a couple for sum later type Rolling Stock drawings but can not find them at this time.
If I find them I'll chime in here and if the loco drawings are required just drop me a line and I'll pass em along.,
Cheers Mick.

Bradley,
I'm still making those TQAY wagons you asked for. Currently I'm moving the bogie/truck into Substance Painter for painting. The same bogie should work for similar wagons.

Guys,

I'm going to stick my neck out here.

I'm currently making the WCWR stock following a polite request from Bradley. It is taking me longer than he or I anticipated, mainly due to my old age and the quality of the drawings available. Anyway, if and when I get finished I will need a project, naturally narrow gauge, so I think I could tackle the Tassie trains.

Consider this, which is best, quick and simple and many in a short time or high definition and slow production. I am not an accomplished texturer, I don't like doing it.

I propose the following:-
All interested people come together in a group.
I am given decent drawings, if drawings are not available, someone will create them from photos.
I will create the meshes, which I enjoy, do a quick and easy decoration and hand them over to someone else to detail. Details include sounds, load details etc. I work in Max, but I have an untested Max to Blender converter which could help, I may also be able supply the files in Gmax format.
I suggest that we aim for T:ane level of detail and build, and so that multiple people can work on them, we have a dedicated web site where KUIDS don't matter.

The final meshes will belong to the group.

Thoughts?

Just a thing to consider aside, I will be 90 in January to let's do this while I am willing and able.

Peter

PS. A group can have a group KUID so all creations can be uploaded under that number which anyone can use.

Yes exactly and Peter is doing a great job and I have so much respect for him.

Not sure of the time period you are aiming for with this project but i do have drawings for the X Class ZA/ZB and ZC Loco's I also had a couple for sum later type Rolling Stock drawings but can not find them at this time.
If I find them I'll chime in here and if the loco drawings are required just drop me a line and I'll pass em along.,
Cheers Mick.

I've seen some drawings on railtasmania.com and other various websites of those locomotives, whether they're the same ones as yours I'm not sure but would be handy to have a look if I could please. The X class has been made for Trainz, ZC has some lookalikes but the ZA/ZB they're the most popular locomotives in Tasmanian history, everyone loves them and people always want old photos of them, also all the driver's say they're their favourite locomotive to ever drive. Thanks Mick

Bradley,
I'm still making those TQAY wagons you asked for. Currently I'm moving the bogie/truck into Substance Painter for painting. The same bogie should work for similar wagons.

Yep that's absolutely fine with me Paul, not a problem whatsoever. Keep up the good work.

Back