How do you restore a backup of a Route?

coptrn

When I try to restore a route that is from a previous database, all the files are .BMK, .NOT, .OBS, and .VTX, and Trainz does not recognize that file type. How are you supposed to restore a backup, if the backup is not readable?

Seems like you didn’t backup the asset but individual files inside the asset instead.
What you could try is create a new route existing of just a single blank baseboard, save, close game, go to Content Manager, edit the asset and put those individual files in.

So, Here is the situation. My computer died, I am trying to continue work on a route that I had on the dead computer. I am trying to import the file onto my "alive" computer, and I can not import the file because there are no recognizable files.

Are there config.txt files in the folders in question? If so it should work with Import Content Folder (or equivalent).

Shane

I have tried to import, and I get warnings for every file saying "Unsupported file type for ..." every file in the folder I am trying to recover. The majority of what is in most of the back files are things such as: mapfile.bmk, mapfile.not, mapfile_-1_-5.vtx, mapfile_-1_4.vtx... etc

Last edited:
I need to check if any of those files are config.txt or possibly config.chump files. If not you unfortunately only have a partial backup.

Shane

But I have the entire local file from the other install, so why can I not just open the Route? everything should be there, because it was working perfectly on the old computer.

There is one other possible option. If you're using TS12 you may be able to copy the contents of your old local folder into the equivalent one in your new installation and run a database repair.

Shane

When routes are in the backup folder for whatever reason, they are not formatted in a file format coded for reimporting.

Please make a route by editing and saving under a different name, then delete it for yourself. Only then can you see how insignificant the backup folder is. Could it of been an unforeseen error within any number of failed service packs or hotfixes that goes thru 8 months of testing, who knows but let's be clear that you better never rely on a route backup or be confident that your route consisting of months or years invest will remain in the local folder.

If you want to witness incompetence after repeated written communication suggesting everything but, supporting this coding team is a great investment.

I put his route into "open for edit", "local" added a config, and used multiple backup folder dates. Running a DB only says the same thing as importing : Unsupported File and places in the backup folder.

So... If it worked that way for TS12, Why does it NOT work that way for T:ANE? It is becoming frustrating, because I have over a year of work in this route, and it was almost complete.

It's because T:ANE uses a different format involving .tzarc files. If you've still got TS12 you may be able to do it via there.

Shane

But I am trying to recover a T:ANE Route, and I don't have 12 installed on this computer. I have seen the .tzarc file, but T:ANE does not recognize those files either...

It's because T:ANE uses a different format involving .tzarc files. If you've still got TS12 you may be able to do it via there.

Shane

I have TS12 Installed as well, so may I have a step by step based on your suggestion? Here is why? One of Coptrn's backup folders has the route folder with unsupported file formats, seems each backup folder has different amount of files if the route/session exists in a particular date, and the .tzarc file is outside any of the asset folders that are backed up...... I'm open for suggestion, but I am also open to showing there is yet to be a solid reason why the backup is not backed up for that of which it was made in nor has anyone presented a solution that has been verified to work.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
The TS12 method is fairly simple but it depends on what build the route was saved under (pre-SP1) as it would involve adding it to TS12 using the local folder then importing into T:ANE by opening the assets for edit and importing those files.

I have just found N3V's method for T:ANE SP1/SP2 routes though at https://support.trainzportal.com/in...or-restoring-a-backup-version-of-your-content (although T:ANE SP2 isn't covered very well on there).

Shane

Already applied said methods and did again today with placing the files you'll see in the directory window into Hash00. Ran DB repair in a Pre-SP1 clean install and the results debunked any knowledge once again on my previous. Completing said steps again was for pure humor:
Untitled-2.jpg

That's interesting to know as one of the builds I used pre-TANE SP1 managed it OK (although I'm not sure whether it's specifically the backups folder the OP is using or whether it's the local/original folders which should work with that method.

Shane

That's interesting to know as one of the builds I used pre-TANE SP1 managed it OK (although I'm not sure whether it's specifically the backups folder the OP is using or whether it's the local/original folders which should work with that method.

Shane

You must have an enhanced and unique copy of T:ANE to be able to accomplish your technically advised unofficial N3V support Shane because three people are unable to accomplish the miracle you can of unsupported file extensions.

It was a very early version from memory although it was a while ago so I may have misremembered parts of it.

Shane

Shane it wasn't an early version. I was able to import a tzarc file using the method outlined in the KB article. The files don't go in the Hash directory and instead go at the top-level of the local directory.

Perform a database repair, and the content is imported.

Shane it wasn't an early version. I was able to import a tzarc file using the method outlined in the KB article. The files don't go in the Hash directory and instead go at the top-level of the local directory.

Perform a database repair, and the content is imported.

Thankyou for the clarification John - I had a feeling that's how it was with TZarc files but I seem to vaguely remember an early version of T:ANE not using Tzarc files.

Shane

Back