Rusty Trains(z)-- Do the exist?

ktain.ny

So theres that nice 4-8-2 which is all rusted and weathered on the DLS, and a few other european engines here and there, but theres not much that I've seen. Are there any nice weathered steamers out there? Preferably American but I suppose british would work in a pinch. Something like this I guess.

06-14b-large.jpg

If it is something that you are going to do for your own personal use and not to be distributed then most creators will allow you to reskin their locos from the DLS. Reskinning is not all that difficult but does take a bit of practice and you can use software such as GIMP which costs nothing. That way you get the locos rusted to the degree that you want and not have to rely on what is available on the DLS or have to "gimme pig" the creators.

A steam engine would spend 20% of it's time in the shop so most did not get all rusty. Would you work next to a rusty boiler with 250psi in it?

I would like to see a few converted to scenery for use as scrapped or retired objects. Maybe a few more diesels as well. I've tried to create a couple for my own use, but the results have been...disappointing.

I would like to see a few converted to scenery for use as scrapped or retired objects. Maybe a few more diesels as well. I've tried to create a couple for my own use, but the results have been...disappointing.
Yeah agreed
A steam engine would spend 20% of it's time in the shop so most did not get all rusty. Would you work next to a rusty boiler with 250psi in it?
But... I'm talking about retired, scrap locomotives my guy.

It is a "trial and error" process and some practice is required. It took me a while to learn the reskinning process and each asset is different. Creating a loco or wagon that looks like it is fresh out of the paint shop is fairly easy, making it look realistically dirty is more challenging but you do it in small steps. For example, add a little bit of grey "soot" around the exhausts on a diesel, check how it looks in Trainz viewer, add more, recheck, etc.

It is a huge advantage if you use a graphic editor that uses layers, such as GIMP, so each incremental change can be added to a new layer. If the change does not work, e.g. looks "over the top", then edit or delete that layer.

I would happily work next to a steam loco which had a rusty outer layer but the outer layer is not the boiler. That is inside the outer shell and is protected from the weather, regardless of how rusty that shell is.

It usually comes down to how much the operator/owner cares about the appearance of their locos. I have seen plenty of very dirty diesels running around as well as some grimy rusty looking steam locos but they all pass operational safety requirements. A dirty loco can pull just as well as a clean one.

ktain --

Weathered steamers? I've updated some of Ben Neal's to work in T:ANE. Search the Download Station with "philskene" as the author.

Phil

Try these ..

Whecsailor made three totally rusted out ancient steam locos in various stages of decay. They look US style.

Do a title search on the DLS for End of the line making sure that the UTC box is ticked.

If you head over to Paulz Trains, he will gladly make his engines very heavily weathered to the point where they look like they have rust on them, he also has a couple of British Scrap engines (he hasn't made any USA ones yet) but you will have to purchase his stuff and then request what you want the engine to look like.

If you go here you will find a useful guide on weathering. Although old and written for MSTS it is relevant for what you want.

Whecsailor made three totally rusted out ancient steam locos in various stages of decay. They look US style.

Do a title search on the DLS for End of the line making sure that the UTC box is ticked.
Those are good, but I was thinking of something a tad bit more modern. However, they will work and I'm going to use them!

Those are good, but I was thinking of something a tad bit more modern. However, they will work and I'm going to use them!
There are some nice Polish steam locos made by lookseek on the DLS. They are 20th century and made in new, weathered, and totally rusty versions.

Locomotive PKP Ty2-64 kuid:341856:100247 and its matching tender podw Ty2-64 tender kuid:341856:100237 is a particularly good example.

Here it is on one of my old routes.

e45c9e6e.jpg~original

Last edited:
Back