Asset Ex-GWR 65 foot over-girder Turntable?

parryjc

Hi all,
Looking for an asset, Ex-GWR standard 65 foot over-girder turntable,
I am mildly suprised that there appears to be nothing in the over-girder type of turntable available on the DLS, as these were very common design, and could be found at many locations over the UK railways.
The midlands supplier of these turntables, Messers Ransomes & Rapier of Ipswich and used extensively by the GWR were manufactured to GWR Drawing No 167.
Shallow pit,
width between the parallel girders 15 foot 9 inches. (With three inch planked decking and escape ladder provided in the middle)
Anyone know of an asset approaching the above spec. on a small footprint?

The Australian "VR 47 foot BG" <kuid2:1854:31580:1> with it's smaller overall radius and short stub tracks has a much reduced distance between track splines when compared to it's stable companion the VR 70 foot. In any case, the 70 ft. turntable has a footprint far to big to fit my location.

Also looking for sector plate table, and a traverser of
Sixty feet long by thirty two feet, ten inches wide, with three tracks.
For the technically minded the original traverser was capable of traveling with a load of 170 tons at ten feet per minute, the motive power being a three-phase motor with wound rotor of 18 B.H.P. running at 710 r.p.m.
All measurements are nominal.

As a point of interest, Although those VR's use wider gauge bridge track than the UK, the model works no problem with standard gauge UK track attached.

Any suggestions on the above over-girder asset, sector plate or traverser, would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
John P.

I had a GWR 65' turntable available as a payware asset for a number of years. From memory less than 50 people bought it.

I had a GWR 65' turntable available as a payware asset for a number of years. From memory less than 50 people bought it.

Thanks valliant,
Although it dosen't help me out much, but I'm grateful for your interest nonetheless.
These things seem to be about as rare as hens teeth in T:ane for some reason, yet they were used quite extensively.

Keep searching................:wave:

Regards,
John P.

Pretty sure there isn't one anywhere - that's I got one built.

If anyone wants the drawings to build a decent freeware one then let me know as I still have them.

I may well be back to take you up on that most generous offer Valliant. As for myself I wouldn't know where to begin in creating such a thing, but bearing your offer in mind, I will certainly ask around.

Is this a stupid Question. As You've built one, so why not release it to DLS?

Cheers
John P.

Hi Valiant,

Re your offer of drawings, please see your PM box, as I know one such over girder T/T is on the drawing board right now. Your drawings would be much appreciated.
Cheers
JP

I have them here John, 65 ft turntable under construction at present.

Last edited:
Hi Valliant,

Thanks for those over girder T/table drawings, Clam is working on it right now.
I guess he will find them v. useful, so thanks again my friend
JP

Back