Question on trees

brucem56

Ok, dumb question time and I apologize up front. I've been at this game for a year now (started with 12 n now on TANE) and I still can't get my head wrapped around which trees to use. I keep reading about "Speed Trees". How do you know what is a "Speed" tree and what isn't? Is there a way to tell between cardboard and 3d? I have a fairly decent system (GTX1080 Card) with most settings in high/ultra and game runs fine without stuttering or other problems.

I have tried the CL Trees (cardboard I think) and they look pretty good, but not completely sold on using them.

Thanks for any/all feedback.

I do not know of any way of telling from the name of a tree if it is a SpeedTree or not - this is also true of the names of anything, it is entirely up to the creator as to what it is called.

Speedtrees require a minimum Trainz build number (but I do not recall what that number is) so you might have more luck selecting Flora items with the highest build numbers.

What I do is when I have found some suitable assets that I like, such as some SpeedTrees, I add them to a picklist so that I will have no trouble finding them again.

I think if a tree has this asset as a dependency, it is a SpeedTree:
<kuid:401543:1077> SpeedTree Library

Just select the Speedtree Library which as said is <kuid:401543:1077> List dependants, save the search / create picklist, that will give you all the ones installed.

mcguirels TANE Speedtrees are all prefixed M(URST) note a lot of theses are build 3.9 but they are TANE trees.
rmm's TANE Speedtrees are all prefixed st-rmm.

Any trees under 3.9 are either billboard ones or TS12 speedtrees which do not work in TANE.

Note: There are also billboard trees with TANE build numbers as in my CLTree range, In my case that was done to fix some of the peculiar effects TANE was having on the TS12 versions being over bright in certain lighting conditions.

Bit of history, I originally made the CLTrees to solve the poor performance with SpeedTrees in TS12 on my Ffestiniog route which was annoying me, the TN versions were made so anyone who imported it to TANE could do a direct replace to combat the over bright appearance in TANE, while I completed the TANE version of the route which is now predominently SpeedTrees.

Last edited:
Just select the Speedtree Library which as said is <kuid:401543:1077> List dependants, save the search / create picklist, that will give you all the ones installed.

mcguirels TANE Speedtrees are all prefixed M(URST) note a lot of theses are build 3.9 but they are TANE trees.
rmm's TANE Speedtrees are all prefixed st-rmm.

Any trees under 3.9 are either billboard ones or TS12 speedtrees which do not work in TANE.

Note: There are also billboard trees with TANE build numbers as in my CLTree range, In my case that was done to fix some of the peculiar effects TANE was having on the TS12 versions being over bright in certain lighting conditions.

Bit of history, I originally made the CLTrees to solve the poor performance with SpeedTrees in TS12 on my Ffestiniog route which was annoying me, the TN versions were made so anyone who imported it to TANE could do a direct replace to combat the over bright appearance in TANE, while I completed the TANE version of the route which is now predominently SpeedTrees.
I must admit to being a bit of a fan of your Cl bushes, I've substituted them for a lot of others i had that slowed down TANE , the small bushes are also ubiquitous enough to fit in almost any part of the world .

Hi,
Speedtree is actually a award winning program which is used to generate trees for Unreal Engine4.
Those tree will respond to winds and you can also add some animations effects.
Blender can also be used to generate trees with animation effects, via tree sapling add on.
A little search on Youtube will help.
I have seen them in DTG TrainSimWorld simulator.

However SpeedTree costs $19 per month subsciption.

Last edited:
Hello,
I "revive" this old thread to ask:

- So "Billboard" trees and "Cardboard cutout" trees/shrubs are the same?

- I assume there are trees/shrubs other than the two classes: "Billboard/Cardboard" and "Speedtrees?"

- If speed trees cause no performance issues, why do so many "well accepted" and "often mentioned" routes contain "the cardboard cutout" trees which (in my opinion) look poor (and get replaced if I have time.)

- If CL (cardboard trees) were made due to performance issues (as clam1952 says above) why do others not seem to have performance issues? Computer/GPU power?

As always, thanks to the community for all assets and for all help and advice!

Hello,
I "revive" this old thread to ask:

- So "Billboard" trees and "Cardboard cutout" trees/shrubs are the same?

- I assume there are trees/shrubs other than the two classes: "Billboard/Cardboard" and "Speedtrees?"

- If speed trees cause no performance issues, why do so many "well accepted" and "often mentioned" routes contain "the cardboard cutout" trees which (in my opinion) look poor (and get replaced if I have time.)

- If CL (cardboard trees) were made due to performance issues (as clam1952 says above) why do others not seem to have performance issues? Computer/GPU power?

As always, thanks to the community for all assets and for all help and advice!

My Billboards were made originally due to severe performance issues in TS12 with SpeedTrees and solved that problem and also to improve the appearance of billboard trees, mine have multiple planes which in many cases are twisted which back in TS12 and Early TANE gave the effect of a full tree which simple two crossed planes no longer did due to the change in how alphas worked. The performance issue doesn't exist in TANE or not as bad and even less in TRS19, I get more problems with lod less buildings these days. I did some comparison tests long ago with my Ffestiniog Route with speedtrees in TS12 and my billboards, I forget what the actuall FPS were however they were alot better with the Billboards, which is why the TS12 version of the route has billboards

Tip to find installed speedtrees easily, find the Speedtree Library in Manage Content, list dependencies, select all and add to a picklist and call it speedtrees. You can later remove anything you dont like by just dragging it out of the picklist in surveyor which removes it.

So the billboard in TRS19 issue, been messing with environmental controls.

Try this! turn sun to black and ambient to white and my Billboards are working in TRS19, screenshot of my FR route the TS12 version which had 99% all my own billboards.

nJ2UvO.jpg

Last edited:
I made a pick list with speed trees only, based on speed tree library as outlined above. I then, as a learning experience, just started making rows of speed trees and comparing to others. As background, I've done a little work in Surveyor (done a small route but certainly nothing elaborate or serious) but I just came across a speed tree that sets a different size tree on every click. "Tree Birch 01" <kuid2:523:19723044:1>

This is the first time I've noted that the same asset will product different sized trees. What going on? How you can identify which assets do that?

I made a pick list with speed trees only, based on speed tree library as outlined above. I then, as a learning experience, just started making rows of speed trees and comparing to others. As background, I've done a little work in Surveyor (done a small route but certainly nothing elaborate or serious) but I just came across a speed tree that sets a different size tree on every click. "Tree Birch 01" <kuid2:523:19723044:1>

This is the first time I've noted that the same asset will product different sized trees. What going on? How you can identify which assets do that?

That's one of the features of Speedtrees you can set a maximum and minimum size in the config, works on Billboards as well, clicking them changes the size, logical I suppose as not all trees are the same size.

Can't tell which have that feature without looking at the configs.

Thanks for reply on tree sizes. What is your FR route? I find F&W and Penybryn Railway and that's it on the DLS.

Thanks Malc for the environment settings. That definitely works and the lighting isn't that bad either. I tried it with a bunch of your trees, some by JVC including his grass, and those TB trees, and it works well for some and even better for others. All and all it beats the printed acetate sheets with light reflecting off of them.

The tree size max min has been there all the time but use it careful as trainz has a long old bug it resets some times some treez to the max size.
I experienced this years ago and when placing tall treez not to far from the track as a "young" tree just by moving that particular tree you will see it wildly jumps in different size.
The trick is to stay calm and hope you catch the right hight whil moving the asset and drop when ok. This is much easier said than done.
My treez i kept the max min size within reasonable limits also all those i made for rmm and pofig and added seasonal too it.
No there is no list you can see which one does , you have to grab move around and see what sizes you can reckonize would fit your choice.

I see here people talk about environment tuning but not see what has been done can John or you Malcom enlighten me?
I always use the edit environment and choice dawn and sunset as the most favorable environment with some hazy fog more or less dependening on my mood.

Today i would choose thick fog so no need to further explain.

When one reach a certain age you notice a lot of changes when using less or long time not enough your languages. I did in my younger time manage about 6 well to very well.
English is my 3rd and i know its not the Queen's one.
so long story short if i start talk gibberish like Johnny English just let me know :eek:

Last edited:
BTW for the near future i will when i post ask people who read my posts,emails or pm to give it a minute and share with me your thoughts.
Lately i run into troublesome incidents which makes me wonder and guess, only thinking of trumpism going viral all over the world and find easy copycats gives me ease again where it could come from.

I run into unsurmountable communication barriers created virtual and real by a well known person who runs the show down under ( positive note the real job is done by Paul and his team).

When one reach a certain age you notice a lot of changes when using less or long time not enough your languages. I did in my younger time manage about 6 well to very well.
English is my 3rd and i know its not the Queen,Boris Johnson, Trump or Hilliam's english.

so long story short if i start talk gibberish like Johnny English just let me know :eek:

Taking a minute, to share my thoughts, as you ask...

Please leave the political rhetoric at the door, or stash it in the garbage, if you prefer... Maybe stop watching and reading the liberal/globalist propaganda. (see here, that I am human too, and let my fingers get ahead of my rational mind :eek: )

As for your use of English as a language, you type clear enough that your words make sense, so I would not worry much of that, just do not start writing as Gary Busey ... that would be tragic :hehe:

fair enough and funny.

garbage can full so put in the incenerator.
Who is Gary Busey never heard off so should not be to bad?
So i guess read the words and not the sentence. I did try that using only key words but not worked somebody said that is not a sentence:hehe:
Don't take it all serious i am still ok and healthy what else we need more these days.
Thanks for the funny reply.

I see here people talk about environment tuning but not see what has been done can John or you Malcom enlighten me?

Basically Roy, turning the Sun down as in setting it to black, stops the lighting doing nasty things to billboard trees, Personally I'm using SpeedTrees, however as I made a lot of Billboards for TS12 then modified them for TANE they no longer work in TRS19. As people keep asking me about this I have been playing around to see if its possible to get them to work, which it is by turning off the sun and turning up the ambient to White, not a perfect solution as it kills off shadows as well, more of a kludge or bodge to enable those who prefer billboards to maybe use them.

Thanks for reply on tree sizes. What is your FR route? I find F&W and Penybryn Railway and that's it on the DLS.

FR is the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Route, in this case the TS12 version.

Edit: If the sun setting is moved to all dials at around the 7 O'Clock position, shadows are back, so I guess there is an element of tweaking to get the desired effect!

Last edited:
Thank you Malc for the reply and exploit.
Yes i use the same but since i most of the tim 90% do work on routes and have no time to play except some testing i lose a bit the grip of controlling the post processing tricks.
I prefer the November fog and dawn and sunset periods.

Roy

Back