T:ANE Random Freezing and Graphical Issues

Mr.Smoke

My PC specs
- W10 64 bit
- Ryzen 5 1600X (not o/c'd)
- Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X 4GB (not o/c'd beyond base form)
- 16GB DDR4
- Gigabyte AB350 Gaming Mobo

Recently purchased this during the winter sale and got like $400 worth of content for about $35. Got about 6-7 hours of fairly stable gameplay in before I started running in to some very strange issues.

First, my screen just locked up, yet the game kept running. I could move the camera around and know it was working in the background due to changes in sound. I decided to alt+tab out to try go back in hoping it would refresh the screen. NOPE it crashed and I lost about 2 hours of time in a session. Rather annoyed, I decided to try a different location.

About 15 mins in to this game and I started getting some very strange graphical things happening. The best way to describe it would be like a kaleidoscope, but only black lines/shapes flickering all over the screen. At times it would almost appear to be train cars, trees, parts of buildings, or other assets. Its gotten so bad that the game is basically unplayable for me now. Tried loading various other missions at many different locations and the same thing happens everywhere, along with various freezing.

I have no mods installed. I rebuilt the database in the content manager, verified game files via Steam, checked for driver updates, tried every possible combination of in-game graphic settings and nothing has fully resolved the issues, although brining the view distance all the way down has helped with the objects flickering/flying around. Even deleted the game and did a fresh install. I have 8 hours of game time in so requesting a refund isn't possible, Ive already tried. Finding a solution is what I must try and do, besides I bought this to play with a friend of mine, and do rather enjoy it. Might be time to find a different co-op train game....

Any help that anyone can possibly offer will be greatly appreciated. I was rather enjoying the game until this problem came about.

Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. I couldnt post in the support section for some reason.

I have similar problems, I pretty sure it's related to amd cards. I have a sapphire 390x 8gb and and screen freezes cause of driver crash according to event viewer, nearly all routes suffered from this. Turning shadows off helps get rid of the freezes but causes graphical glitches.

I cant be 100% positive about this, but try settting the game to windows 7 capability mode. So far I can run downloaded routes and In game routes without freezeing since I turned that on. But it could be just luck.

I have similar problems, I pretty sure it's related to amd cards. I have a sapphire 390x 8gb and and screen freezes cause of driver crash according to event viewer, nearly all routes suffered from this. Turning shadows off helps get rid of the freezes but causes graphical glitches.

I cant be 100% positive about this, but try settting the game to windows 7 capability mode. So far I can run downloaded routes and In game routes without freezeing since I turned that on. But it could be just luck.

Thanks so much for the response Himdirith.

I sort of wondered if it was AMD related. I have a few other friends who play, all on Nvidia cards and they have none of the issues I do. Where can I find this event viewer? I dont get any sort of error messages upon crashing, so being able to see what its sayimg may be helpful somehow. There doesnt seem to be any sort of game log for TANE that I can see. When I played ATS I would keep watch of the log for warnings and errors with mods and correct them as needes.

It seems that a lot of games prefer Nvidia these days. I plan on upgrading to a 1070 or 1080 at some point, its just not in my budget right now.

Anyways, yeah I did notice that turning shadows off, alomg with keeping the draw distance at the minimum seemed to help, but wouldnt fully resolve the freezing or the gaphical glitches.

Im not sure how to set the game for W7 capability mode. Can I even do that being I have W10 installed on my machine?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the response Himdirith.

I sort of wondered if it was AMD related. I have a few other friends who play, all on Nvidia cards and they have none of the issues I do. It seems that a lot of games prefer Nvidia these days. I plan on upgrading to a 1070 or 1080 at some point, its just not in my budget right now.

Anyways, yeah I did notice that turning shadows off, alomg with keeping the draw distance at the minimum seemed to help, but wouldnt fully resolve the freezing or the gaphical glitches.

Im not sure how to set the game for W7 capability mode. Can I even do that being I have W10 installed on my machine?

Just right click on the game exe and choose properties and windows 7 from capability list. I have windows 10 and allows me the choice. It's a hit or miss though. In the end it may just be out of luck for us amd users. Other train sims run great and no issues. I sure hope developers would look into this seriously.

i just tested a route nortious for freezing my card just by loading it in. Since I put w7 capability mode on. It runs well and no freezes so far. So I hope it helps someone.

Last edited:
Bozen piste

Just right click on the game exe and choose properties and windows 7 from capability list. I have windows 10 and allows me the choice. It's a hit or miss though. In the end it may just be out of luck for us amd users. Other train sims run great and no issues. I sure hope developers would look into this seriously.

i just tested a route nortious for freezing my card just by loading it in. Since I put w7 capability mode on. It runs well and no freezes so far. So I hope it helps someone.

Awesome, thank you so much!

I am going to do a fresh install from Steam and give this a try. Hopefully I will get lucky like you and have this make the game playable for me again.

I will be sure to report back once I have done some testing.

Thanks for this tip, I have a reserve machine with a Radeon 290 Gamer card, I have suffered flashes and crashes when using Tane.
I switched to compatibility mode last night and the game ran OK for an hour on a small route.
I will test it again today on a route that I know would usually cause the computer shut down.

I'll be back :)

Computer said NO!
Had a crash with my highly detailed route, but this time windows prompted a disc scan/repair, never had that before, it was just a shut down.

I also tested on my son's Clevo P375SM Gaming Notepad with an i7 4710MQ, 2x Radeon HD8970M, ssd and normal storage drive, 16mb ram and on this machine just froze when I put it through its paces, probably because TANE doesn't liked dual linked video cards?. Not my machine so I am not that concerned, but my son was amazed and a bit deflated :)

All AMD drivers were updated yesterday too.

On my main PC with a Geforce Strix ROG GTX 1070 there were no problems at all.

Maybe TANE does not like AMD cards after all?

But, on my reserve AMD PC, the lightning flashes/tearing have gone with the compatibilty mode and shadows off, which I am pleased about.

Computer said NO!
Had a crash with my highly detailed route, but this time windows prompted a disc scan/repair, never had that before, it was just a shut down.

I also tested on my son's Clevo P375SM Gaming Notepad with an i7 4710MQ, 2x Radeon HD8970M, ssd and normal storage drive, 16mb ram and on this machine just froze when I put it through its paces, probably because TANE doesn't liked dual linked video cards?. Not my machine so I am not that concerned, but my son was amazed and a bit deflated :)

All AMD drivers were updated yesterday too.

On my main PC with a Geforce Strix ROG GTX 1070 there were no problems at all.

Maybe TANE does not like AMD cards after all?

But, on my reserve AMD PC, the lightning flashes/tearing have gone with the compatibilty mode and shadows off, which I am pleased about.

Well, if the game was developed under NVidia hardware, would be obvious that the game will perform better on these than on AMD ones, doesn't matter if they meet the requirements for T:ANE.

Well, running in W7 compatibility mode has seemed to resolve the crashing issues I was having. More extensive testing is still needed to be absolutely certain though.

Would you like to register your versions?

Thanks John

I was trying to find a way to register my Steam copy so I could use the download station. Steam didnt provide a CD key, so I couldnt figure out how to register. I searched around on here lookimg for a solution, but couldnt manage to find one. Any help with doing so would be greatly appreciated.

I was trying to find a way to register my Steam copy so I could use the download station. Steam didnt provide a CD key, so I couldnt figure out how to register. I searched around on here lookimg for a solution, but couldnt manage to find one. Any help with doing so would be greatly appreciated.

Contact the helpdesk via the helpdesk button provided at the top of the forums.

It sounds like the registration server didn't sync up with your Steam version.

Contact the helpdesk via the helpdesk button provided at the top of the forums.

It sounds like the registration server didn't sync up with your Steam version.

Thanks! I submitted a ticket via the helpdesk regarding getting my copy registered. Hopefully they have a solution for me.

Another unfortunate AMD user here. Six months ago could play Kickstarter Country Fossil Fuels all day with the odd flicker, bit jerky and sound occasionally stutter but was stable. Being playing all week and have not been able to complete fossil fuels OR Trees for life, Have also just spent $80au on bundled content, not happy at all. The screen would randomly freeze 5 minutes in or 1 hour in and would have to warm boot (Killing process and re-running T:ANE would be very laggy)

Can play GTA V maxed out all day silky smooth solid as a rock.

Will try minimum graphics settings and then Win7 compatibility mode...

Hey Software developers any chance of a fix here...

System Spec:
AMD Quad core APU A10-6790
Radeon VaporX R9 200 4Gig Graphics
8 Gig Kingston DDR4 RAM
ASUS FM2A55 Mobo

Hi guys with the issue.
So to be sure of some stuff here and for any developers reading this exactly to possibly understand,
Are you running the most up to date driver for your family of cards?
I have noticed that not running up to date drivers, even as an NVIDIA user, can in fact contribute to some of the glitches that you are seeing here.

What do your settings look like outside of TANE? How do you have your card setup, and is there possibility a disagreement between your manual card settings, and the capabilities of the program itself?
When I first started running TANE, in my NVIDIA control panel outside, I had different settings and they would actually cause some issues with TANE. I found the solution to be resetting settings I had back to the original and then adjusting slowly to see what causes issues with TANE for best overall performance to be the trick here.

Do you know exactly how hot your GPU is getting when running in TANE?
Some of the issues you're describing sound like a GPU that is beginning to throttle because it's getting to hot. I myself have seen these issues on a substandard cooling system after a period of time due to my GPU overheating. Usually symptoms are small, such as microstutter, lag, and then random graphics oddities. If you continue, they will eventually lead into on screen artifacting, flashing, extreme graphical issues until not long after the program will crash, and your monitor itself will flickr saying that the GPU has recovered from an error. In the worst cases, your PC will simply crash and shut down, occasionally producing blue screens.

What exactly are you doing when this is happening, and what kind of content are you using?
If you are consistently jumping around from train to train, or moving to entirely different parts of the route this could cause some issues. I've found that in the latest SP's of TANE, doing this on a regular basis seems to really bring out the memory leak and will actually cause graphic issues, not related to any actual GPU issue you have yourself. In most cases, simply restarting the PC and the game itself will clear it up. (If you're a Windows 10 user, there is also a memory leak there as well, so sometimes simply doing a hard reset of your PC, shutting it down, then unplugging it for about 1 min, will clear out any cache, and issues related to that there, and may even solve your problem). There is also certain content that seems to also cause random issues, so it's worth noting what content you're using in this case.

What TANE builds are you running?
I've found that many of the issues I mentioned above appeared in TANE SP1, and a few are still present in the latest build. So it's worth seeing, and updating if need be solves your problem.

Hopefully that helps you guys!

My freezing/crashing/flashing problems returned.
I replaced the Radeon card with a GTX 750Ti that I had spare, problems all gone!

Back